• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trans No Workie

Just curious as to what was stock rear gear in '62? You said you went to 3.23.

I'd take it to the shop. First check would be if it has any pressure. Pump ears could be broken. Also could have been misassembled, part missing, etc. Everyone makes a mistake once in while.
Doug

I'd take it to the shop. First check would be if it has any pressure.
Positively! Something happened in the build. Not common, but it's too easy to make a simple mistake, and you get what you get.
Only mentioned the TC, because it's one thing, of a handful, that causes no shifting. Of course, the TC was done at a TC shop (I hope), but even there mistakes can be made.

That trans shop would probably be interested in what happened in the build, too. Shops don't like doing things twice either! Lessons learned.

I called the trans shop this morning. The guy I talked to said it's definitely not picking up the fluid for some reason and to call back around 2 o'clock and talk to the owner to see what he wants to do. The owner did the work on it originally.

More popcorn!

I remember reading somewhere about useing a 24 spline TC on a 19 spline shaft by accident but don't remember the symptoms, or if it would even go on there? (Just spit balling)

Not positive, since I've never tried it...something like spinning like a top?

Not positive, since I've never tried it...something like spinning like a top?

It's been over a year since I was researching 19 spline converters but I remember reading about someone useing a 24 spline by mistake. This TC was already installed when I got the trans back and I never removed it. Wish that I did just for the piece of mind. It does have a drain plug so it's most likely the 19. I've never heard any sounds good or bad, from the trans while running it. Time will tell.

Sorry, to hear about that and I understand about trying to fix at home if simple but I would take it to the shop.....I am sure when the owner calls you back it will be on the road over there...

Last edited:
It's going to the shop. Talking with the builder and telling him the history on what has taken place, he said something must have happened to the converter or the front pump. I'm removing it, (which I would rather do), and taking it up to him. He would rather have it that way also.

Here, I've just about given up drinking too. Looks like a couple of six packs anyway. I'll keep in touch.

Removed the trans last night. Ran it up to the shop this morning. They started to tear it down while I was there and they found nothing. Everything looked good. The only thing that wasn't inspected was the valve body so he's doing that later today and will let me know what he finds tomorrow.

Removed the trans last night. Ran it up to the shop this morning. They started to tear it down while I was there and they found nothing. Everything looked good. The only thing that wasn't inspected was the valve body so he's doing that later today and will let me know what he finds tomorrow.
Years ago I did a friends 518. After a few years it wouldn't move. Tore it apart found nothing. Turned out it broke the converter. Don't know how on a stock FI 318, but it did.
Doug

Years ago I did a friends 518. After a few years it wouldn't move. Tore it apart found nothing. Turned out it broke the converter. Don't know how on a stock FI 318, but it did.
Doug

When removing this trans, there was a small dribble of fluid, removing the return line at the radiator. The supply line was dry. Removed the TC drain plug and got exactly one quart. Definitely not picking up the fluid.

The pressure valve was stuck and was just circulating fluid within the valve body. Don't know when it happened but we're thinking it was probably on the initial start-up for the cam break-in. The trans had four quarts in and right after starting it, added the rest. There might have been just enough of a delay for it to suck itself dry.
Another disadvantage of not breaking in the cam on a dyno or engine stand if this is what took place.

Don't know about you guys but I'm just about out of popcorn!

Think I'd make sure the line in the radiator is clear...

Brand new radiator.

So your getting plenty of practice pulling and installing this trans.
Valve body problems can be fixed without removing the trans.
You getting some sort of complication? Like maybe at least fluid.

Auto Transport Service
Back