• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tremec 5 speed conversion in a 1970 Charger

The transmission mount has 2 carriage bolts that go through the crossmember. One was crooked when I pulled the mount from the box. When I straightened it, the meager weld broke loose.
SST 385.jpg
SST 386.jpg

I positioned the bolt and tacked welded it back into place.

SST 387.jpg

Test fit....A-OK.
SST 388.jpg

...fire up the engine and hold a file to that crankshaft while it spins....mill it down while in place...just don’t burn yourself on the headers

watermelon

FWIW .002 emery cloth might fix... .020 emery cloth ain't gonna fix..

You could machine the bore of the flywheel & honestly it's probably your best easy fix... But you won't want to use that flywheel in another crankshaft...

...fire up the engine and hold a file to that crankshaft while it spins....mill it down while in place...just don’t burn yourself on the headers

watermelon

How do you start an engine without a flywheel/ring gear for the starter?

FWIW .002 emery cloth might fix... .020 emery cloth ain't gonna fix..

You could machine the bore of the flywheel & honestly it's probably your best easy fix... But you won't want to use that flywheel in another crankshaft...
I'd be fine with that.

Before you look into any machining get a accurate measurement on that diameter... A set of calipers that read in .010 increments ain't gonna do it..

How about a Stanley Tape measure?

I'll have to buy something. Until now, I've never had the need for such precision instruments.

Why don't you buy one of these to really locate bellhousing. Your alright but it would bug me. I was able to borrow one from my maintenance dept at work. Cheap ones $35.
dail.JPG

I'd like to buy something locally so I don't have additional delays.
I have this....

SST 405.jpg

I can't tell how to read it though.

SST 406.jpg

I never went to school for this!

I will look into the dial calipers.

I am trying really hard to resist buying from those guys.

looks looks .158 plus the size of the opening in the closed position...... if that is a 1"-2" mic, 1.158

Since his calipers read 2.150 I'm gonna say 2-3". and since the thimble doesn't appear to be past the second line I'm thinking 2.148 not 2.158..

That was a random setting, not an actual measurement.
What I meant was, I don't understand the scale of these numbers. The dial shows 0-5-10-15-20 and back to zero. I don't understand a 0-25 scale as anything familiar.

Last edited:
That was a random setting, not an actual measurement.
What I meant was, I don't understand the scale of these numbers. The dial shows 0-5-10-15-20 and back to zero. I don't understand a 0-24 scale as anything familiar.

each visible line is .025.......one revolution gets you to the next line.....i never saw increments of .004 on the spinny thing, usually they are .001

Man up, Nancy boy! :lol:

Yeah, I'm not a quick as I use to be... But even on my best day I'm not sure I could have fired the engine up then unbolted the flywheel....... Actually I'm quite sure I couldn't...
:rofl:

Auto Transport Service
Back