• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tremec 5 speed conversion in a 1970 Charger

If he charges anywhere close to that he's ripping you off! I put a 440 crank in my lathe, indicated it and machined 4 throws to fit a 400 block in less then half an hour. Machining your flywheel will take more set up time then machining.
I was exaggerating. :D I am just a bit frustrated at the moment.

It could be done on a lathe but since your boring the center you obviously can't use that to mount the flywheel... Personally I'd probably set it up in my mill, zero the bore with my coaxial indicator then bore it with my Criterion boring head.. pretty simple task...

It sounds like you have a lot more tools than I do. :eek:

I brought the flywheel to a machinist today along with the flexplate. He said it should be done next week.

Last edited:
The tunnel patch was covered in seam sealer too.

SST 409.jpg
SST 408.jpg

The stuff spreads like thinned out Crisco. I used a putty knife at the seam and then spread it with my hands. It looks thick but really isn't.

im afraid to look back at my SST TKO500 swap thread...i have a feeling moparedtn was roasting me on it too

watermelon

I dropped off the flywheel on Friday and am chomping at the bit to get it back. The machinist seemed a bit "casual" and I was a little hesitant to leave it there. I hate to be demanding of people and businesses but I have to learn to be firm in how I express my expectations.

SST 404.JPG

I can bleed the clutch master cylinder and piddle around doing a few other things but the flywheel is a major stumbling block.

SST 151.jpg

Stepping away from the car for a moment....

This project has included a few other sort of unrelated changes that made sense to do while the car was "opened up". I don't like stretching a project out any longer than I have to but sometimes it just makes sense to make needed changes when they are so convenient.
For many years, I have wanted to change the carpet. The kit I put in the car in 2002 was short on all 4 sides. It was still in good condition, just short. I shopped around and found that most if not all carpet was made by Auto Custom Carpets. Because of that, I shopped by price and found that Rock Auto had it cheaper than anyone even accounting for shipping.

The Tremec transmissions from Silver Sport are modified to fit these cars and are supposed to end up with the shifter in the stock location that the 4 speed cars used. I knew that I was going to need a different console plate for the manual transmission since this car has always been an automatic. My other '70 Charger Jigsaw was built as a column shifted automatic and since I intend to convert it to a floor shift, I was going to need some parts to get there. It came with a bare console so I was going to need the courtesy lights, side trim and top plates. I decided to pull the top plates from this red car and set them aside for Jigsaw.
The 4 speed console plates are harder to find and overpriced so I decided to modify one that was for A/T cars. A FBBO member sold me a set of plates and I set about to modify the one for the shifter.

SST 31.jpg

It was a sort of simple deal with a little measuring and cutting, JB Weld and some finish work. Everything is going to be a matte black when I'm done for a subdued look.

SST 332.JPG
SST 337.JPG

The console door that came with the other pieces was sandblasted along with the other parts but on closer inspection, I can't use it. It came with broken pegs that the hinge attaches to and it was missing the thin aluminum plate that the woodgrain decal attaches to.

SST 410.JPG
SST 411.JPG

SST 412.JPG

Another FBBO member came though with a huge favor and sent me a nice console door similar to this one, the original from this car.

SST 413.JPG

I stripped off the clearcoat of the woodgrain decal and plan to sandblast the door to get the paint to stick

SST 414.JPG

That plate will get the same type of vinyl covering that I'm using on the rest.
Below is a test. I had bubbles underneath that I could not get out. For the second effort, I applied the vinyl from the center and pushed the air out from the center.

SST 415.JPG

did the flywheel fit?

the anticipation is killing me.

watermelon
I got the call this morning that the man was done with the flywheel. $60. I gave him $80. He was pleased. I was relieved.

SST 416.JPG

The caliper reads 2.176 but slipped slightly from the 2.179 number I measured.

SST 418.JPG

It is in place with locktite and torqued to spec. The SST instructions had no torque specs so I deferred to the service manual.

SST 417.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back