• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

trunk weatherstripping...which glue and where to buy?

MykeNytemare

Local time
9:07 AM
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking to do the seal on my trunk this weekend as it leaks, I have a new seal, and I purchased the POR15 trunk kit to stop the surface rust from ever becoming worse.

I'm not worried about using the same glue as the factory, but I also want the job to be right and not have any off-color glue. Do I have to order special stuff from Year One or Classic Industries and wait for delivery, or is there something I can go purchase immediately at Home Depot or Autozone (or PepBoys)?

3M weatherstrip adhesive #08008...the black gooey stuff.

Should be available at NAPA, AutoZone, O'Reilly's, etc......

I used the yellow adhesive, this is the stuff the factory used or at least appeared that way. The yellow, I think, dries better than the black stuff. Do yourself a favor and go get a bag of those wooden clothes pins. As you lay down the weatherstrip put a clothes pin on it every 6 inches or so to hold the strip in place and allow the glue to dry.

X2

What are you using to clean the old adhesive off?

Chuck

Didn't even think about specifics to take the old glue off...was thinking a razor and some goof-off, but the WD-40 sounds way safer!

I used the 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. Get some spring type clothespins or binder clips to hold the weatherstrip in place too.

Watch the corners. Mine were too tight and eventaully pulled away. It was stretched too much at application time. Done by Shelly's Auto Body in Danielsville, Pa. (scum sucking Chevy guy)

3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive - #08001 - nicknamed 'yellow death' is what you want. give both sides - the weatherstrip and the metal a coat of it and let it dry then put the two together - being careful as you want it where it goes when you do this, because it won't move once you do. May practice on a couple of pieces of material to get the times down - but you'll see what I mean by doing it this way.

Be careful and good luck!

Yep this stuff works like magic. Just follow the instructions put some on the seal and the surface let it sit the recommended time and then it will stick immediately and never move again.

Gorilla Snot 3m 08001 Yellow or... Monkey Jizz 3m 08008 Black. I personally like the Jizz better since it's black like the weatherstrips.

Auto Transport Service
Back