• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of a Hemi B Body

HemiDavey426

Local time
12:04 AM
Reaction score
I have a really nice 66 Dodge to sell. Getting no action on it. I put a stroker kit in the engine so am contemplating pulling the engine and using in another car. The car is in great shape inside and out, drives fantastick. Nice paint, glass, upholstry etc. Black(was green) with white interior. You guys have probably seen it advertised. Odometer shows 9300 miles. What is value of the complete car minus the engine? I will leave the trans and exhaust system in the car.
Thanks

20140818_172329.jpg

what are you looking to get for it

I have a really nice 66 Dodge to sell. Getting no action on it. I put a stroker kit in the engine so am contemplating pulling the engine and using in another car. The car is in great shape inside and out, drives fantastick. Nice paint, glass, upholstry etc. Black(was green) with white interior. You guys have probably seen it advertised. Odometer shows 9300 miles. What is value of the complete car minus the engine? I will leave the trans and exhaust system in the car.
Thanks

View attachment 365805
Thanks

View attachment 365805
Is it a real Hemi car? If so, and in
real good shape, it might be worth 40 to 50 big ones at best, IMHO.

Yeah... if it's a real Hemi car, then be patient and expand where you're advertising it. If it's not a real Hemi car, then you can make a lot more money with that engine in a different car IMO.

Sorry guys, forgot a bit, yes it is a real Hemi car. I've advertised it on craig s list, e bay, cars on line, Mopar nats, no one ever comes to see it. Not bragging here, it really is the nicest driving Mopar I've ever been in. was asking 70k, then 68.5 then 65. no action... and its all done right, correct fasteners, carbs, pulleys, linkage, battery, etc, but does have Mopar electronic ignition. Id think of it as a survivor but with engine work and color change most will not agree.

20140818_172354.jpg

That's sad.....but you have multiple issues against selling it.
Numbers fags would want everything just as if it were built by the drunks and stoners who originally did it.[get your grease-pencils, paint daubers, and stickers]
It wouldn't sell if it were green, but a good color-change is just as bad to most.
You have a 66, which is a kiss of death to the cartoon-car, and Chrysler-Camaro guys.

You just need to be patient.....and take it to a big show or two. I personally love the 66-67 B-body cars. Especially with an elephant in it. I personally think it's priced fairly, if it's as nice as it looks.

Last edited:
I have lots of documentation but think your right about the 66 cars. A guy in Florida sold his car, almost exact copy of mine last year so I hoped for the 70k figure he got. This car is a blast to drive, incredibly smooth around town, open her up on the freeway and you know you have 472 cubes of Hemi under the hood, except no one comes to see it. Ill drive it a bit longer till the snow flys then come up with a plan...

Just a thought, but... You might want to consider a trade for another car that might provide you with a "change of scenery" for a couple of years and then move that one down the road.
I have no idea what your situation is but 66 cars are very hard to sell in a mostly "me-to" car crowd. You may have to be very patient, put it in a big auction like a Mecum and float it with no-reserve, if you absolutely have to move it or trade it on something like a Viper that will probably be heading up in value as production has just ended.
My 2 cents and worth every pennie:thumbsup:

Be patient this car will sell to the right buyer. You can't force the sale. The lower the price the harder to sell. Priced at the sweet spot and it will go. Don't worry about the clowns who say it's not all original. It appeals to the right person.. Wait it out if you can afford too. These bodies are not me too cars. The body style is rare and appeals too a select audience.

I've had it up for sale for a while. its not a forced sale, been paid off a long time ago. I can keep it or even trade for another car as you suggest, maybe a 4 speed car. I was close to the previous owner and thats one reason I got into the automatic car. Maybe do a trade get some cash for college and a stick car?

As you've likely detected already, there are lots of folks who will tell you your price is fine and you need to wait for the right buyer, but none of them are making offers. :) Your challenge is you need to price the car for the market, and right now that market is in decline. Cars that are survivors or correct restorations are going down, and this one is modified and has body issues. Sad to say, but the days of just name your price for Hemi cars is over.

Really choice all original 440 66 cars are topping out at about $25,000, so I would estimate you're looking at somewhere between $50k and $60k to start getting bites.

You are probably right. Around 60-65K Id sell it. At 50K I will keep the engine, sell the body. It cost a small fortune to put a correct Hemi together, way too much to let it go for 50. I've been building Hemis for long time, its almost impossible to find an undamaged block.

Thanks for adding this ebay car, I looked it over, looks pretty darn good. Mine is a better but it would take a personal view to realize it. I ran mine on ebay and it bid up into low 50s. This is exactly why I'm asking everyone's opinion of the car-minus-motor-value. Two friends have Hemi B bodies and they both like driving my 500 more than theirs! but their body styles are much more desirable. I have to compliment all of you who have chimed in on this- and sincerely Thank All Of You for your honesty and not beating me up over this issue. There is a level of Kindness here that I have not found elsewhere, Thank you
If anyone is ever near Detroit, please contact me for a tour (free)of my hot rod shop and storage warehouse, its a cool "indoor" car show!

With the economy in the shitter and elections coming,just sit tight. There is an *** for every seat and good things come to those who wait.Your price is fair,just have to wait for "THAT" person to see the add. Where have you listed,aybe we can suggest a few other 'assifieds,,,,,,

My friend has a WO

9.19.14 007.jpg

Really choice all original 440 66 cars are topping out at about $25,000, so I would estimate you're looking at somewhere between $50k and $60k to start getting bites.

Which original '66 440 cars would that be? C bodies? Or did you mean '67s

I dunno about anyone else, but I love (and I mean LOVE) me some '66 Dodge b-bodies.
Mean, almost sinister styling if you ask me. I'll even take a '67 in a pinch. :)
Razor sharp.
I can only imagine what having one as nice as this one would be like, especially with the hemi in it; I'm not in a position in life to ever afford such, so I "settle" for my 2nd love, '68 b-bodies of either persuasion.
I hope this one finds a proper loving home and I hope it doesn't get taken apart.
When you get one to drive as sweetly as you describe, they never seem the same once they've been dissected.

Auto Transport Service
Back