• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your Mopar today?

Almost ruined the 440 in the Coronet. Just a routine oil change: R&R the Wix 51515 filter, 5 qts of Valvoline VR-1 10-30w. Cranked the engine over, waited for the oil light to go out and then I slid out the door and did the routine look under the front end for any leaks. Oil was gushing out between the oil filter and oil pump. WTF!!! Quickly ran back and shut her down. By this time it was Lake Valvoline under the car.
I removed the filter and as I'm brining it up along side the radiator I see an O-ring resting on the K-member. During the filter installation somehow the O ring was dislodged.
I put the O ring back on the filter; its only held on by tension. I checked the old filter thinking the new one was a defect, but it came off just as easily. Damn!
Dropped in my 1 remaining quart of VR-1 and it barely marked the dipstick. I lost 4 qts of oil in 10-12 seconds! Fortunately I shut down the engine in time. The lifters hadn't started chattering yet so I think I dodged the bullet.
Replaying the event in my mind, I then remembered that the oil filter R&R's from on top (battery has been relocated to the trunk). I R&R'd from below, navigating through the AT cooler lines and screwing the filter on by touch. From on top I can see down to the oil pump threads but from below the K frame blocks my view. Lesson re-learned and my notes have been updated.
Have to order another case of VR-1 from Summit; CA doesn't sell high zinc oil. Add 4 quarts, fire it up and keep my crossed.

Got the blower motor and fan switch working. Have heat now.:drinks:

Got my factory chrome wheels on the '01 Ram on Friday, to replace the painted wheels. Looks pretty good, a marked improvement!

I will have owned this truck one year on 3 November. I am the real second owner, having purchased it from the real original owner, with 198K miles. It has 201,900 now. I've put upper/lower ball joints, a rear transmission bearing, a RF hub assembly, and a RR axle and bearing on it. It's amazing, the overall condition of this Ram! I think my son has put more miles on this than I have, so far.

IMG_20220930_132640465.jpg

IMG_20220302_143450971_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
My GTX has been in need of carpet, but that’s not in the budget anytime soon unfortunately. As I was walking through Walmart doing my grocery shopping, I stopped a saw something I’ve never seen before. Did y’all know better homes and garden sells carpet kits for your car? Lots of color, and style options. I opted for the “ultra soft” ones
:lol:

0C1C22B3-AEC1-4EDD-A260-8BDDFE7805F5.jpeg

2070363A-623D-4D8D-9B7C-0761E9A3F6CE.jpeg

Nothing really yesterday....today I get to drop the dash to replace the dash cap ! I hear it is a wonderful job ! Wish me luck....I think I am going to need it !

Picked up the 440 for the 74 from the machine shop. 5 week turn around! My 71's took 3 months.

IMG_2626.jpg

Those wheels are totally fugly!
I see that car looking sweet with a nice set of polished aluminum slots!
It takes 17” wheels and I’m leaning towards torque thrusts.
I hear you. Year one sells 17 inch Magnum and Rallye wheels. The Magnum wheels with the black centers might look good on the car. That's a lot of yellow!

I did actually start AND finish the dash cap swap ! It was a PIA, but much easier with the windshield removed (about 6.5 hours total). Tomorrow it is headliner time !

Still engineering my brackets for my alternator and AC compressor but decided to take a break from that and get moving on my Alterkation suspension installation.

Just at the unboxing stage and laying everything out.....

20221007_135610-jpg.jpg

20221007_141534-jpg.jpg

20221007_145402-jpg.jpg

Jeff

I put the '66 Hemi into winter hibernation and took the '64 Poly out of it's hibernation. It's only awake until I burn through the tank of gas (halfway done), then it'll go back into hibernation with a full tank of fresh gas.

Two days trying to get the headliner in properly, and I give the F**k up ! A royal PIA ! Next spring I will have someone install it. I though I would go ahead since the windshield was out of the car. Too frustrating !

Auto Transport Service
Back