• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you learn about your Mopar today?

moparedtn

I got your Staff Member riiiight heeeere...
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:51 PM
Reaction score
Once I decided to remove the heater hoses off mine, I went whole hog and removed the pipe nipples out of the motor as well, using 3/8" stainless plugs.
Refilled radiator, started the car up to check for leaks - and it started puking out the overflow tube within a couple minutes. :wtf:

Both temperature gauges went soaring and it finally occurred to me "ah, trapped air pocket"....but why was it puking out the overflow?
Hmmm, radiator cap (new, BTW) must be messed up. No worries, I have a spare...
slapped that one on and things went south pretty quickly after that. :mad:

I'm thinking what the hell, this thing runs cool normally and I've done nothing odd or radical here??
Finally looked at first radiator cap. "VENTED"
Looked at my new replacement again: "NON-VENTED"
Oops.

Cleaned up the first one, suffered the geyser that erupted when I slowly took the other one back off the radiator, refilled radiator again and put the vented one back on.
Car is happy again. :thumbsup:

What did I learn today?
1. Removing heater hoses from a 440 takes away one way they naturally vent their air pockets.
2. THESE CARS NEED A VENTED ^%$@$^% RADIATOR CAP.
Oy. All part of the process, I guess...

I learned that after an aggravating pain in the a$$ to pull the gas tank and replace the sender, I have to do it again as the seal and lock ring aren't doing their jobs. I'm waiting for the gas puddle on my garage floor to evaporate and for my new lock ring to come so I can do it again..

^^^^^^Yep the aftermarket rings are very thin compared to a factory one.
Been fighting brake problems.Power brake unit that worked 2 years ago gave up after sitting.Went back and forth about putting power brakes back on after converting from drums on the Valiant .Now I got to take it back apart. GRRRRR !

Oh mani have been fighting fuel leaks for a while too. Finally got to done with stuff called seal all. But not my grounding issue is back with a dead gauge!

I have been restoring my car for 3 years and all i keep doing is finding wrong parts that were on it rather then the right ones having to spend more money finding the correct ones

Today I learned (again) that no matter how bad I want to go to the garage and work on it, I still have a very bad back.......

Tomorrow is another day!

I learned that after an aggravating pain in the a$$ to pull the gas tank and replace the sender, I have to do it again as the seal and lock ring aren't doing their jobs. I'm waiting for the gas puddle on my garage floor to evaporate and for my new lock ring to come so I can do it again..
Yep, my reproduction tank/sending unit is leaking as well - and that's after going back and putting a new Mopar gasket on it AND re-using the original tanks' lock ring. I even Permatexed the damn thing to boot.
Guess I'm going to rip all that back out and put an original tank back in there, if I can find a nice one AND a factory 3/8" sending unit/pickup.
Damn aftermarket.:BangHead:

I have been restoring my car for 3 years and all i keep doing is finding wrong parts that were on it rather then the right ones having to spend more money finding the correct ones
Same here, I can commiserate. Most every part of this "nearly done" car has been replaced by me at this point.

I just did my tank and sender I did notice that the ring was not tight so what I did was take a punch and hammer down on the tank retainers to grip that ring tighter I think it will work will not know until I fuel it up may not be for months but I think it is worth a shot

did you install the ground strap from the fuel line to the sender?

I have a repop tank and sender, no leaks but the sender reads 1/2 when full, I have been chicken to take it apart to adjust the float level. Figure I will end up with a leaker with a correct fuel level reading LOL, When it hits empty I can put 9 or 10 gal in or cruise for a few more miles.

Washed the 67 today, had to get the bugs off the front and dirt & crud out of the wheel houses.

The most recent time I changed the sender, I thought I was being smart and checked its ohm range before I installed it. Damn leaky gasket. Going to have to pull it anyway.

Tonight, I tried turning on my gauge lights and somehow fried my radio. Not sure what the shop did that replaced the headlight switch. Could be a bad switch, could be sloppy work. Either way, it's another PITA I didn't need. If it's not one thing, it's another. I think I hate working in/under the dash more than dropping a fuel tank.

When I drop the tank again to fix this damn leak (it shows a half a tank full now, so it's gonna have to leak on the garage floor for a while), I am thinking seriously of installing a drain valve on it.

Took the 63 out for an inaugural run to a local cruise to find the radiator cap leaks and nothing says look at me better than parking and radiator pissing all over ground.

Has overflow container but was coming out from cap seal.

I learned that the Shelby chargers don't weigh much of anything easy to push out into the storage lot until I get the second part of my plain if anyone has a 90's vr4 or gsx please msg me I don't need the interior or body parts I need the motor trans rear front axle suspension steer a non title car is cool

Took the 63 out for an inaugural run to a local cruise to find the radiator cap leaks and nothing says look at me better than parking and radiator pissing all over ground.

Sounds familiar. I learned Stant actually makes two quality levels of thermostats these days, "OE" and "Premium".
Guess which one tore up on me within minutes of installation? :mad:

I learned that the Shelby chargers don't weigh much of anything easy to push out into the storage lot until I get the second part of my plain if anyone has a 90's vr4 or gsx please msg me I don't need the interior or body parts I need the motor trans rear front axle suspension steer a non title car is cool
About 2600 lbs in stock form IIRC. My '85 GLH Turbo was a little over 2400.

When I drop the tank again to fix this damn leak (it shows a half a tank full now, so it's gonna have to leak on the garage floor for a while), I am thinking seriously of installing a drain valve on it.
Hope your water heater is not in the garage. Or any other ignition source.

Auto Transport Service
Back