• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what do you do for a living

george68hemirr

Local time
7:16 AM
Reaction score
figured i start something.....what do you do for a living??

union ironworker...local 417 Newburgh NY...32 years...now retired

Last edited:
Art director for a direct mail catalog company... and freelance artist on the side:

SampleCuriousYellow2.jpg

I am the president of Sertec, Inc. and we are a small company that specializes in repairing turbomolecular pumps that are used in the industrial high vacuum industry. Typical applications include: Mass spectrometry, computer chip manufacture, thin film coatings (like the chrome trim on our dash bezels to precision coatings on hard drives and CD's). These turbos run at very high speeds and require precision balancing and high grade ball bearings with ceramic balls. Below is a picture of a Leybold TMP 1500 turbo. It has a 9.5" dia rotor and runs at 21,000 RPM. When I'm done with it you will barely feel or hear it run. Behind it is the equipment I use to balance.

PI TMP 1500.jpg

WOW! That's some gooofy chit there Meep meep. Super high speed balanceing.
rrb, I used to do alot of art work years back. Tuff feild to excel (sp) in. I used to, when I was alot younger, paint jackets for freinds in school. Whatever the wanted. Iron Madien album covers, Jimi Hendrix portraits.

As word spread, I did entire walls. I loved the Vodka add capian, I think it was Smirnoff (Spelling for sure!)
Viking looking chick riding a polar bear, sword up on high. Great stuff. Took up the whole wall. Near life size. Even did up a fridge with "The deads" Axmoxia Album cover.

Now, these days, I inspect RailRaod cars from the wheels up and everything inside. I also repair them for the mornig rush into New York City.

Inspect, test and repair everything. Except bathrooms. The electromagnetic propulsion and braking, friction brake, running and draft gear, etc...

Autobody/paint tech 21 years. Been restoring muscle cars for about 9 of the last 21 years.

friggin plumber,bottom of food chain. lol dam i wish i had a good job like yawl. least i can say i have never in my life collected a dollar of unemployment. go to work everyday. got to many lazy sob,s depending on me.government got to get it somewhere.

Being a plumber might get you a gig as a war correspondent these days though:edgy:

I buy and sell my own real estate for the past 10 years but was in the car business for 30 years prior.

Woodworking...Hardwood floors, custom cabinets, custom furniture

antique heart pine in Savannah1.jpg

Brazilian Cherry in Savannah2.jpg

mahogany and cypress lamp.jpg

ipea swing.jpg

The first pic is antique heart pine floor
Second is Brazillian Cherry.
The lamp is mahogany and cypress.
The swing is cypress and ipe.

you should be very proud SCredneck,,,,that is some beautiful projects you did there
daredevil....keep your chin up....plumbing is a great gig and you can make alot of money there and you have a job since the economy took a dump

I was in the Air Force working for NSA for 10 years in the IT field, now I work for Harris Communications designing circuit boards for the radios that we send to our troops overseas. Going to school for Mechanical Engineering.

Account Executive for a company that manufactures fire retardant decorative laminates and non-textile flooring products for aircraft interiors. I have some OEM accounts (Boeing, Bombardier, & Embraer) as well as a few airlines (Delta, Air Canada, Airtran, & Hawaiian). Too much travel at times, but there is never a shortage of available frequent flyer miles...:grin:

Ray

BEAUTIFUL woodwork there SCredneck...:yes:

I work on the assy line for Ford!
I need everyone here to buy a new car!
Doesn't have to be a Ford just American!
KID

Finish carpenter, custom cabinetry, built in furniture, concrete countertops. Current issue of Dwell Magazine, cover story, is a prefab house that I recently did the majority of the trim and cabinetry work in as well as a good portion of the rough work and supervision. Can be seen at dwell.com.. Spent 8 years building auto show exhibits and was a traveling supervisor for installation and dismantle. Also have a great project that I have been working on in the caribean which is another prefab installation, lots of custom type stuff.

IMG_2895_2.JPG

IMG_0645_1.JPG

Last edited:
RN, staff nurse 80-81, Asst Unit Manger 82,
Case Manage 96 to present for an SICU and a surgical floor. Over 28 yrs same hospital.
Retire in 16 mos, will be 54yrs young!

Auto Transport Service
Back