• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is everyone working on in the off season.

Planning to race the "Tan Car" a few times this year Have a few things to do for it to be race ready. Also will be racing the Ol' Brownie car as well with my good friend Phil. Who turned 76 recently. And waiting to get my engine back from Bruce Parson's shop in Dayton Ohio for my 79 Aspen stocker.

IMG_0430.JPG IMG_0564.JPG IMG_0104.JPG

The quality and pace of work here is amazing.
Doug
Thanks Doug, when I want to see quality I check out your 64. Have a good year!

engine ****!
broke the '68 440 down to a shortblock,,replaced all guides and did a valve job on the stage 2 max heads,,had CC rebuild the roller lifters(looks like they shipped new back),new engine plate from vignogna performance,,,BIG thanks to hemi-itis for hooking me up with this,,,,now onto painting the engine compartment,,,while waiting for rhodes race cars to send my 8 point roll bar..
IMG_0214.JPG

engine ****!
broke the '68 440 down to a shortblock,,replaced all guides and did a valve job on the stage 2 max heads,,had CC rebuild the roller lifters(looks like they shipped new back),new engine plate from vignogna performance,,,BIG thanks to hemi-itis for hooking me up with this,,,,now onto painting the engine compartment,,,while waiting for rhodes race cars to send my 8 point roll bar..View attachment 739143
I love that intake manifold....

I love that intake manifold....

max wedge port indy tunnel ram! i'm going to hook it up to that transmission i bought from u mike...i have a dynamic converter ready to plug into it,,fixing a little sub std sheet metal work from the previous owner :( that could not be avoided but getting close....2 600 cfm DP'ers ready to go for the intake...

Planning to race the "Tan Car" a few times this year Have a few things to do for it to be race ready. Also will be racing the Ol' Brownie car as well with my good friend Phil. Who turned 76 recently.
That would be great. Hope to see you.
Doug

Thanks Doug, talked to the "old man" (Phil) yesterday for an hour. I think he's pumped up for this season. We'll see you somewhere...

IMG_1032.JPG IMG_1033.JPG

IMG_20160423_122330.jpg
IMG_20160519_061531_1.jpg
View attachment 747145
IMG_20160423_122330.jpg
IMG_20160423_122330.jpg
CDid get the 56 stoked this weekend.Goal is to get it down the track this year,maybe match race the Hawkeye Missile at the local biker track.that would take a lot of luck

Last edited:
This post is more about what I "won't" be working on.. Racing season is getting close, the Dart project got kicked to the curb because the Plymouth came home yesterday.. A couple pictures of where I got to in the off season though.

The old Dart rolled off the hoist and outside for the first time since last Oct 1st, when I dragged it home.
IMG_0501.jpg

This Dart is definitely not a "paint by numbers" build haha. Rear wheels are 10's, when car is done it will be on 12".
IMG_0505.jpg

Just a top pad and strg column left to install and the dash is finished up.
IMG_0397.jpg

All wire harnesses run, tested. Ready for the motor / trans.
IMG_0504.jpg

Parked out of the way now till next fall.
IMG_5989.PNG

October 1, 2018 (start of the Dart)
IMG_5509.JPG

Plymouth is back home, ready to try out the new ladder bar set up. Stay tuned Mr. Gaines!
IMG_0509.jpg

Decided to gusset the front ladder bar crossmember. May be overkill but that's an area that takes a good hit.

IMG_0571.jpeg

This post is more about what I "won't" be working on.. Racing season is getting close, the Dart project got kicked to the curb because the Plymouth came home yesterday.. A couple pictures of where I got to in the off season though.

The old Dart rolled off the hoist and outside for the first time since last Oct 1st, when I dragged it home.
View attachment 747119

This Dart is definitely not a "paint by numbers" build haha. Rear wheels are 10's, when car is done it will be on 12".
View attachment 747121

Just a top pad and strg column left to install and the dash is finished up.
View attachment 747124

All wire harnesses run, tested. Ready for the motor / trans.
View attachment 747120

Parked out of the way now till next fall.
View attachment 747123

October 1, 2018 (start of the Dart)
View attachment 747125

Plymouth is back home, ready to try out the new ladder bar set up. Stay tuned Mr. Gaines!
View attachment 747122
Awesome 64.....I need to decorate my lift, have any xtra stickers?
Will you be at Carlisle with the 64?

Awesome 64.....I need to decorate my lift, have any xtra stickers?
Will you be at Carlisle with the 64?
—-
Too far to travel.
I’m north of Montana.

Mike, great idea...easy job now....would be hard job if the would have broken loose.
----
Yeah, sort of like flattened out spring perches.. I learned that lesson the hard way.

finally painted the engine compartment today,,installed the rhodes race cars pre-bent and notched 8 point roll bar yesterday..smooth install,,came with forward bars also but will install them later when it becomes track time,,new motor will be built at end of year...446 with TF 270's,roller,and my indy max wedge tunnel ram,,,mr gaines transmission will be installed in the up coming weeks ahead with the refreshed motor..
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG

The off season is pretty much over and the Dart is now into storage until the off season returns..
The Dart is on it's way out the door to storage.
57772692046__35B71E9C-6386-4D1C-A181-D1A0DED00229.JPG

Now to have a good season with the 64 and then back at the Dart again come fall.

Auto Transport Service
Back