• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is everyone working on in the off season.

just wondering what all the guys are up to over the winter... post them up.

For me, I got this old Dart to keep me busy till the track opens in a few more months. Yeah I know it's an A body but I do bleed B-body..

Got the bottom ready to epoxy prime. Mini Tubs, Springs relocated, frame connectors, front floor boards, rear spare tire tub, etc. Raised the tub 3" too so it doesnt hang down like a donut.
View attachment 697099

Fuel cell and battery located.
View attachment 697091

Roll bar installed and left quarter removed.
View attachment 697092

The Superstock look.
View attachment 697095

Tub to wheel opening work happening.
View attachment 697096

Tire mock up. Heater delete, radio delete, fuel filler delete.
View attachment 697094

Stripping remaining old paint off. All metal work done. Next up, finish body work.
View attachment 697097

That's what's going on over at my place this winter. Work by day, ache at night.
awesome build, I have trouble just trying to exchange a windshield wiper blade anymore.

again -awesome work, I'm thinking of removing the bulkhead wire harness plug in, and moving it down to get that wiring out of sight a bit- anyone else do that?

awesome build, I have trouble just trying to exchange a windshield wiper blade anymore.
---
Some of those wiper blades are impossible to change. :)

again -awesome work, I'm thinking of removing the bulkhead wire harness plug in, and moving it down to get that wiring out of sight a bit- anyone else do that?
---
I've personally never seen it lowered, although it looks like there is room to drop downward a ways without interference from anything. Could be getting closer to heat at the back of the engine / exhaust depending how far it goes down.

---
Some of those wiper blades are impossible to change. :)
tell me about it- I tried to replace the wiper in my '64 Dodge- I was pretty sure it could be removed to replace,after I ruined them (both) I found they area one piece blade/arm, only the rubber could be replaced I didn't look hard enough to find them,oops there goes another $200.00 kerplop.

finally coming together,,,engine compartment painted,,bolted on the tunnel ram today,,waiting on 2 parts before starting it up,,,this motor is right out of the dick landy playbook from back in the day,,,440 block,max wedge rods and heads,440 crank,milodon oil system,solid roller
IMG_0220.JPG
IMG_0219.JPG
IMG_0221.JPG
,etc,,i have a magazine around here somewhere showing all this play by play from him,,superstock 1968ish i think...will run around to the car shows until end of year when the upgraded motor will be built...

I know the offseason is over for everyone, but I am finally getting my motor back together. Started as a cam swap to a solid roller. During disassembly found a leaky cylinder with a missing ring. Windage tray was missing. Rear main seal appeared gooped up to try unsuccessfully to stop the leak. Valve guides worn and seals needed replacing. Off to the machine shop to hone the block and service the heads. New springs then installed. Needed new push rods for the roller. First set of push rods from Smith Bros ended up on the brown truck in SE Asia. Second set arrived and were assembled to length. Motor assembly almost complete and hopefully to the dyno tomorrow.
IMG_1309.JPG
IMG_1310.JPG
IMG_1312.JPG

I know the offseason is over for everyone, but I am finally getting my motor back together. Started as a cam swap to a solid roller. During disassembly found a leaky cylinder with a missing ring. Windage tray was missing. Rear main seal appeared gooped up to try unsuccessfully to stop the leak. Valve guides worn and seals needed replacing. Off to the machine shop to hone the block and service the heads. New springs then installed. Needed new push rods for the roller. First set of push rods from Smith Bros ended up on the brown truck in SE Asia. Second set arrived and were assembled to length. Motor assembly almost complete and hopefully to the dyno tomorrow.
View attachment 778377 View attachment 778378 View attachment 778379
----
It's a good thing that you went deeper to find and correct those issues 65Hemi. It's a good job done now though. Good luck tomorrow on the dyno, will be waiting to hear how the day went and the numbers.

Well Guys it's about that time to find out what the gang has been up to this off season. So post up some pics and lets see what's been happening.
My off season started a couple months ago so I've probably got a head start on most. Here;s what I've been up to..

The Dart came home somewhere around the third week in September, I threw the ProStars on it. 4's and 12's.
IMG_1449.jpg

Rear shot with the 29 X 15's. 3/4" inside tub space, outer sidewalls, protrude out past outer quarter 3/16". Perfect fit.
IMG_1454.jpg

Made room for a hemi.
IMG_1530.jpg

Spent a fair bit of time redoing lots of small parts.
59408125466__7586D3FF-7DA4-4DA9-A1D1-6F2FFBF7F1AC.JPG

Dragged the old trunk lid in and spent a load of time on it. There was a full rear panel, got rid of that and ended up with a load of holes to weld up.
IMG_1926.jpg

Bodywork done and fit.
IMG_1958.jpg

Underside finished.
IMG_1983.jpg

Top side finished off the car. I'll be using RM2000 Clearcoat on the Dart, it lays out pretty good, this is 3 good coats.
IMG_1972.JPG

Built a weld in driveshaft hoop, and got that finished and in place. Also had a 3.5" driveshaft built with steel yokes and 1350 u joints.
IMG_6452.JPG

Dart is all taped up now. Monotonous bloody job! Getting real close for paint now. Body is wet sanded in 600 already. Next up - build a paint booth.
IMG_2021.jpg

That's as far as I got gang.

Last edited:
Well Guys it's about that time to find out what the gang has been up to this off season. So post up some pics and lets see what's been happening.
My off season started a couple months ago so I've probably got a head start on most. Here;s what I've been up to..

The Dart came home somewhere around the third week in September, I threw the ProStars on it. 4's and 12's.
View attachment 866967

Rear shot with the 29 X 15's. 3/4" inside tub space, outer sidewalls, protrude out past outer quarter 3/16". Perfect fit.
View attachment 866968

Made room for a hemi.
View attachment 866969

Spent a fair bit of time redoing lots of small parts.
View attachment 866977

Dragged the old trunk lid in and spent a load of time on it.
View attachment 866971

Bodywork done and fit.
View attachment 866972

Underside finished.
View attachment 866974

Top side finished off the car. I'll be using RM2000 Clearcoat on the Dart, it lays out pretty good, this is 3 good coats.
View attachment 866973

Built a weld in driveshaft hoop, and got that finished and in place. Also had a 3.5" driveshaft built with steel yokes and 1350 u joints.
View attachment 866975

Dart is all taped up now. Monotonous bloody job! Getting real close for paint now. Body is wet sanded in 600 already. Next up - build a paint booth.
View attachment 866976

That's as far as I got gang.

And, I also got the 28" tires to fit the Dart too. I cut a pie out at the front lip and shaped it ahead. No tires rub issues now, they were catching before.

IMG_2001.jpg

And, I have started assembling the poly paint booth! Gonna be a busy week ahead over here!
IMG_2023.jpg

Wow thats a lot of hard work !
Still racing here , 2 rounds to go . Next week and December . Though getting hot , was mid 80s at 9.00pm on friday night started low 90s at 6.00
Already fitted a new motor . Just tried new rear tyres on friday night t&t . A little different , hope to improve a little more with more laps

Tex

Wow thats a lot of hard work !
Still racing here , 2 rounds to go . Next week and December . Though getting hot , was mid 80s at 9.00pm on friday night started low 90s at 6.00
Already fitted a new motor . Just tried new rear tyres on friday night t&t . A little different , hope to improve a little more with more laps

Tex

Still racing! And getting hotter, I never woulda thought! I'm sure you're gonna pick up some more.
Meanwhile back in my neck of the world.
IMG_6463.JPG

Last edited:
Still racing! And getting hotter, I never woulda thought! I'm sure you're gonna pick up some more.
Meanwhile back in my neck of the world.
View attachment 866987
No way you are too cold for too long !
Got Hoosier 29.x0.5 radials so hope to get sixty back down towards 1.42/3 . Never run this Hoosier before ., only their 275/60 . Fifth pass was 1.45 @ 22psi . Couldnt really get motor temp down , 5 passes in 2 3/4hrs , never got below 180+ . Cooler motor and trans should help .

Tex

Drop this stuff off to the machine shop said it will be done in 4 months

IMG_20190119_170146052.jpg

Located a better back glass and a nicer trunk lid. Gonna have the lid media blasted inside and out and get it in epoxy. New drag radials for next season and a new engine wiring harness as well. I need to drop the trans and do a front pump seal, check internals and probably do an aluminum pan while I'm at it.

Auto Transport Service
Back