• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What the F$@k is a Environmental Fee

Pops1967GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:26 PM
Reaction score
58FBDFF4-9291-4EC4-8582-70AB29A235D9.jpeg

Normal I go to my dealership for my oil change and NYS inspection. But you cannot wait inside at this point. So I went to the local service.

Tell them to put the used oil in your container at take it to your local municipality to dump for recycling on your way home.

Vote with your wallet and go someplace else.

Last edited:
Ya still gotta pay it.
Sad thing is the shops get paid for that oil.

Ya still gotta pay it.

That depends..... If its pure drain oil the shop use to get about ten cents a gallon, so our 500 gallon drain tank was worth $50... But if the drain oil is contaminated (in the case of the shop I know of it was where they chose to drain about ten gallons of gasoline with diesel in it...) The shop got fined $800....

And that is why when you take your used oil to the parts store if it is only oil.

Ya still gotta pay it.

Not exactly. When the price of oil was high (and here gas was hovering around $4 a gal)(ya I know "cheap" for some of you) they were paying $1 a gallon around here. We run a waste oil furnace in the shop. During cold winters we go thru lots of oil (tranny fluid ect). There were times we had to do some "in store credit" to get more oil, and not many takers. Now that oil is "cheap" I have guys that would not let me touch it, ready to blow me just to come and get it. Some even bring it to us. Why??? Because now you PAY (around here anyway) to get rid of it.

Environmental fee is the fee the state charges to grease your cheeks before you bend over for the oil.

Its just the cost of doing business. If you are not paying for it as a separate line item, then it is included in the base price. One way or another you are paying for it, just like "free shipping".

Sadly it is how any Democrat or more correctly, Liberal run States operate. I had to deal with that when I lived in Commiefornia. Even when I did my own changes. Here in Nevada, we can go to any auto parts store, sign the roster, and dump the old into a large transfer tank inside the store. You have to take the container that you brought the used oil in back with you and I then throw it into the recycle bin here at the house. Easy Peezy!!! I have never used a dealer for my oil changes and on the rare occasions when I use a lube and oil change service back in CA, they charged a environmental fee. But most of the time I just did it myself rather than fork out outrageous sums for the service...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Its a cash grab Tax. But there will be a recycle fee in front of all this when you buy the product. Then there will be a special bin it gets thrown into where there will be a fee to empty that bin . Then it will go with the trash to the phillopines , like what a canadian company did. Then they will bitch cause they didnt like the garbage mixed in with it. Then it will get recovered brought back and thrown in a land fill. Which should of been done at the beginning.

Last edited:
Dang your getting it shoved in dry up there ! You should save that oil for the rape!
I get a mobile 1 change for $50 here about every 3 I'll do it here to double check there's nothing else wrong !

Oh and we were getting $1.50-1.80 a gal for our drained oils !
We made a ton on that as our dump trucks took alot and the hyd on some equipment was like 50-80 gal a change .

Same with our scrap witch the company didn't want!!!! I saved everything metal behind my bays in the corner out of the way . I split it with my guys as a kinda Christmas bonus little extra cash .... So a years worth of scrap got us about $500-600 each I had 7-8 guys !
Not bad end of year I took a dump truck and a excavator with a thumb on it loaded it all up on a Sat or Sunday after work took maybe 30 mins .
Then drove to scrape yard dumped got stack of cash and Monday I'd put up stockings up on tool boxes and stuffed them full of cash! (This was in Nov before black fri ) So the guys could get there kids stuff .
The guys got pissed when the branch South of us demand the scrap to be brought to them

yeh....we have that fee also here in this area.....I think its 8 bucks......

Income generation of the business,
passing the cost of doing business, off on the costumer
looks like an additional $0.60cents a quart

or maybe it's a state "Govt." mandated regulation/associated fee,
tax pretty-much, it is NY after all :poke:
business required to show it as an extra cost, for the customers to see, ???
why the prices are what they are, maybe ???

you'd think the business owner would just, absorb it into his pricing
part of the cost
& assoc. regulations of doing/running an automotive related business
(especially in one of the many nanny states)

I've done my own since, I learned to do it, on my go-cart or mini-bike
some 50 years ago

we have a Waste Management collection area, that takes waste oil,
I don't think they charge anything, not all of California is a shithole
if the oil is in the proper & sealed containers,
at our local dumps/waste transfer center
(we don't have a landfill here, they take it to the shithole areas)
it's better than those people needlessly dumping it
because they are way to cheap to pay the fees
to recycle/dispose of it properly or do some research who takes it,
many of which are also free...

it's really not rocket science

Last edited:
Just a rip off because they can.. Most shops have waste oil furnaces and use that to heat for FREE or they sell it to others..

Curious what they would try (emphasis TRY) to charge me. That enviro ripoff is based on 5qts, as is the service charge. Well, my camaro needs 8qts of synthetic, and the diesel pickup takes 11 qts of diesel oil, and a big filter. A hundred bucks, plus tax (probably another $11) and double the enviro tax?
Frostbite sufferers in Hades first!

Just a rip off because they can.. Most shops have waste oil furnaces and use that to heat for FREE or they sell it to others..

That's where I take my drain oil. The shop that does my inspections treats me right so it's the least I can do.

But I bet the waste oil burners are illegal in some states!

Auto Transport Service
Back