• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would you say the best & fastest street car was.

67coronetman

Local time
10:43 PM
Reaction score
I know everyone will have a different opinion as to what makes a true street car so lets keep it on cars that are all motor..I will start it off with the 1967 Silver Bullet GTX Of Jimmy Addison so what say you. Well i am talking about the time period of the 60 & 70 era... :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:
:hello2::hello2:::walk::walk::walk::walk:

Attachments

• page4-1005-thumb.jpg
    page4-1005-thumb.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 510
  • page4-1007-full.jpg
    page4-1007-full.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 698
  • page4-1027-full.jpg
    page4-1027-full.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 581
Depends on what time frame? Blast from the past stuff like the Silver Bullet? Don't get me wrong, I love it.

However, if you include current time frame, there are some crazy fast "street cars" that are in Drag Week. Cars that drive 1,500 miles, race 5 times in 5 states and run 8's on the motor.

That would be a very hard category to make a choice. Back in the day, Silver Bullet would be one. Didn't Joe Oldham use to street race a L88 427 Camaro back then as well? That was reported to be a silly fast street car for the time.

I agree that is true i guess i am looking at the time period from 60 & 70 during the muscle car days i know that the Silver Bullet could never run with those cars... of today..:)

- - - Updated - - -

There where some very fast cars in those days and from what i have read a Camaro was Jimmys biggest rival and as time has gone on and after the passing of Jimmy Addison lots of people have claimed to beat him so who knows ..:)

Depends on what time frame? Blast from the past stuff like the Silver Bullet? Don't get me wrong, I love it.

However, if you include current time frame, there are some crazy fast "street cars" that are in Drag Week. Cars that drive 1,500 miles, race 5 times in 5 states and run 8's on the motor.

That would be a very hard category to make a choice. Back in the day, Silver Bullet would be one. Didn't Joe Oldham use to street race a L88 427 Camaro back then as well? That was reported to be a silly fast street car for the time.

It was a street car... I know a damn Chevy...LOL... I ran 8.98 @ 154-158mph IIRC black tracking the whole damn way, in a {Nissan Blue} 67 Camaro 468ci Brodix Headed BBC, Powerglide 5400 stall, single trick 1050 Doninator, functioning alternator & water pump, K&N air cleaner, Glass front end, functional cowl hood, back halved w-narrowed 9"/spool, Alston tubular a-arms, ladder bar/coil over, street driven car with old style M/T DOT (Treaded) Sportmans {crap tires, supposedly sticky compound}... The Rules were, had to have functioning roll up windows, no Lexan, street tires DOT treaded & not drag radials/slicks, all working lights, front & rear, 2 seats min. & all sfi safety equipment, they had to drive a specific distance etc., I never had any issues... I drove it around Concord Ca. allot when was at home, went to cruise nights in Walnut Creek & bumper to bumper cruises down in Sacramento, Modesto & Reno too... My best street tire run was @ Super Chevy Firebird International Raceway, like February 1991-1992ish IIRC, we had juice/N20 but couldn't use it, couldn't hardly hook the tires with out it... I wrecked the car, bad traction issues, after the 3rd pass, stubbed the nose in the wall left lane, still won fastest street driven street tired car, $300 & a plague "whoopee"... My last silver 68 RR RM23 3520# all steel except 6bbl lift off hood, more of a borderline race car with plates, only a roll bar, CalTracs, tubular front a-arms, aluminum head 4.15" B-stroker, trick 1400cfm 6bbl, thru 3" Flowmaster exhaust went best of 9.77 @ 135mph N/A, ran 9,90's easily {8.58 @ 156mph with 300shot N20, & single Dominator} both on crappy worn M/T drag radials @ Sacramento Raceway 100*+ summer weather, test & tune sessions, until they say I only had a roll bar & made me stop... I drove to the track 12 miles each way, from Rancho Murieta up hwy 16 muffled, some Saturday 2005ish, sorry no photos... might not be street cars in some minds but they were my street driven cars...he he ha ha

:eusa_clap:Sonny says, '67 Plymouth owned by Jimmy Addison, ruled Woodward Avenue........Fuggetaboutit.

Didn't Tom Hoover & the Chrysler boys, have cars they played with out on Woodward Blvd. back in the day ??, I remember reading articles about them with a RR & a Dart, maybe a Barracuda

That may be true i can't say for sure cause i was not there but i do know from magazine articles that Tom Hoover & the Chrysler guys did help Jimmy On his car with motor parts.

Didn't Tom Hoover & the Chrysler boys, have cars they played with out on Woodward Blvd. back in the day ??, I remember reading articles about them with a RR & a Dart, maybe a Barracuda

I read one Hoover bought a 66 or 67 Green Hemi Coronet, Post car IIR, worked on it and used it on the street for " research "

I grew up in Detroit and spent a great deal of time on both Woodward and Gratiot Avenues during the late 60's and early 70's. I don't know exactly what was being shared with whom or who's money was backing which cars, but there was some stupid fast iron menacing those storied streets back then and more than a few examples sported manufacturer's plates. We were regularly treated to rare sightings of production vehicles prior to their release to the dealerships and there was no place that a young gearhead would rather be on Friday and Saturday night.

The good old days ..... :headbang:

I grew up in Detroit and spent a great deal of time on both Woodward and Gratiot Avenues during the late 60's and early 70's. I don't know exactly what was being shared with whom or who's money was backing which cars, but there was some stupid fast iron menacing those storied streets back then and more than a few examples sported manufacturer's plates. We were regularly treated to rare sightings of production vehicles prior to their release to the dealerships and there was no place that a young gearhead would rather be on Friday and Saturday night.

The good old days ..... :headbang:

I'll bet it was the place to be, sometimes I wish I was 10 years older, I was only 10 in 1969 {born 1959} & could have been there in the hay-day & raced/cruised... I remember going with my step dad down to SoCal when he would race at the many great tracks down there, we would go out & watch allot of street racing, he was an ol'street racer... but LA & Colorado Blvd, Van Nuys, Huntington & Long Beach or Terminal Island, were real hot bed for street racing & allegedly secret pre-production LA assembly plant stuff too...

Yes those where the days...

- - - Updated - - -

Well me & you are the same age and i grew up on the street of L.A i lived in Torrance Ca and i was Raised on Drag Racing and spent my young life until they closed Lyon's Drag Strip down and i raced Van Nuys blvd & terminal island and orange county drag strip to ...

I use to love to go down there, even up until like 81 when Riverside finally closed last of the ol'dragstrips... San Gabriel, Long Beach, Santa Ana, Lyons, Iwindale, Orange County, Ontario Motor Speedway, Pomona fairgrounds, LACR... up here we've lost Halfmoon Bay, Vacaville 1/8 mile, Fremont/Baylands, Lodi & Kingdon, Cotati/Santa Rosa... I'm sure I'm missed someone... Calif. was a real drag race mecca... still Have Sears Point/Infinion, Bakersfield/Fomoso, Redding, Sacramento, every so often they have a Kingdon reunion @ a local Lodi airport... I still watch a few Jackson Brothers videos make me remember allot of the good ol'days traveling with my step father Bob...

The fastest Street car off the Line was a 1970 Buick GS 455, Who won at the end me with 70 charger RT 426 with a Rat Roaster. it took all of 3/4 of the track to wake up and pass. otherwise a Shelby Cobra Jet 67 was the car we all thought for size and Power was pretty fast.

Yes at one time California had a very good amount of drag strips but all the cry babies and all the GREEN WINNIES we have lost a large amount.

I use to love to go down there, even up until like 81 when Riverside finally closed last of the ol'dragstrips... San Gabriel, Long Beach, Santa Ana, Lyons, Iwindale, Orange County, Ontario Motor Speedway, Pomona fairgrounds, LACR... up here we've lost Halfmoon Bay, Vacaville 1/8 mile, Fremont/Baylands, Lodi & Kingdon, Cotati/Santa Rosa... I'm sure I'm missed someone... Calif. was a real drag race mecca... still Have Sears Point/Infinion, Bakersfield/Fomoso, Redding, Sacramento, every so often they have a Kingdon reunion @ a local Lodi airport... I still watch a few Jackson Brothers videos make me remember allot of the good ol'days traveling with my step father Bob...

I remember that article,still have it. so cool to see the shot of him driving the car.

The Cobra that scared the crap out of Bill Cosby might make the cut. 68 R code Mustang (428 CJ SS car). 68 SS hemi Dart or Barracuda? T Bolt Fairlane? LS6 Vette or Chevelle? 427 ZL1 Camaro? Around Concord CA area there was a T bucket with a BBC I think and I can't recall the guys name, but that car was a famous local hot rod. I don't remember ever seeing it but heard about it. Budnicks probably knows the famous race in the late 70's out at Solano.

The Cobra that scared the crap out of Bill Cosby might make the cut. 68 R code Mustang (428 CJ SS car). 68 SS hemi Dart or Barracuda? T Bolt Fairlane? LS6 Vette or Chevelle? 427 ZL1 Camaro? Around Concord CA area there was a T bucket with a BBC I think and I can't recall the guys name, but that car was a famous local hot rod. I don't remember ever seeing it but heard about it. Budnicks probably knows the famous race in the late 70's out at Solano.

I think I just remembered the name. Rod Banna?

Auto Transport Service
Back