• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has a daily driver more than 30 years old?

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
10:13 AM
Reaction score
When you think about retiring does it cross your mind how you will pay to repair the computerized car or truck you use to commute on a daily basis? Variable timing, direct fuel injection, and touch screen infotainment systems are fine until something goes wrong. Then it's time to pay a tech $100+ per hour just to diagnose the problem.

This is why I chose to get a decent 69 El Camino (as I said in another thread, I would have bought a MOPAR if they made one in America) and get it completely road worthy from front to rear before selling my modern truck. I only drive about 3000 miles per year mostly on local side streets. But I can just as easily cruise at highway speeds to visit out of town relatives when the time comes.

How about you guys? Anyone think I'm daft for relying on an old school ride as my only transportation? Have you considered going the same route as me? Or, have you already made the decision to to keep it simple and daily drive a classic rig?

1-El Camino at Tonya's.jpg

How do you fit 5 people inside?
When I had a F150 crew cab I was the primary passenger. Sometimes I would take my co-workers to lunch in it just to justify having so much space. I kept downsizing until I had the right size truck for me. It has a bench seat but soon will only have room for 2 in the cab.

The other 4 can ride in the bed.

All I'll drive is an old car , right now 67 Mustang convertible it's too nice to be a daily driver but that's the way it is for now got a 64 Impala that'll be my daily driver after I tame the Beast

20190602_195925.jpg

Me.
The A body was literally going through a bad divorce in a trailer park in 98.
Paid 400 dollars for it.
Saved and built it.
Almost 80 miles a day for 20 years.
Still have the "Hayes Show 1999" sticker on a window.
Cross county and back.

Everything I got is old.My 88 D350 is 31 as of now. Also my 63 Belvedere is 56. Just a daily beater.Even my Motorcycle is going on 20.

mine is a 78 w200 power wagon i drive it every day also took it to the mopar nats this year

Off the road for our Michigan winter/salt fest, but I got about 4,000 on her this past summer. Very enjoyable! I get comments everywhere I go.
Mike

IMG_2014.JPG

When I had a F150 crew cab I was the primary passenger. Sometimes I would take my co-workers to lunch in it just to justify having so much space. I kept downsizing until I had the right size truck for me. It has a bench seat but soon will only have room for 2 in the cab.

The other 4 can ride in the bed.

Your wife and or kids will ride in the bed without seats and seat belts? I would imagine that the police wouldn't let that slide in 2019.

'86 W100, short bed, 4x4, 4-Speed. Bought it to go off-roading with buddies, beat it up, and throw it away.
DSC02008.JPG

We never did go off roading. I've put over 8k miles on it now & it just won't die! I've gotten pretty attached to it now & might have to fix it up instead... like I needed another project.

It’s only 27 years old but I think it’ll make it a few more.
FF0F92B7-8AA8-4A7C-8BEE-BA31E09CFCF9.jpeg

Well, how bout 25 years old? 95 Dakota. Went looking for a replacement as the 95 is getting tired. It was always kept outside and that took a toll on the bulkhead connector and well, it's got a patch but even that isn't working all that great. Found a 96 Dakota several months ago and couldn't pass it up because it was pretty nice but was looking for one that was older. Heck, my newest vehicle is my 97 2500 diesel. Hopefully, my 66 Belvedere will get back on the road in 2020 and it'll serve as my daily.

This truck is a blast to drive. It currently has the "mean -teen" 318 with automatic.
I am building a 408 stroker for it to better haul a race car/trailer.
The dang truck will go practically anywhere and has proven very reliable - perfect for the daily driver.
IMG_0031a.jpg

I pieced the interior together from stuff I had lying around (for another truck project).
Only thing more fun to drive on a daily basis is my 07 Magnum R/T, but I don't like driving it over the winter (traction issues) however the truck just keeps on keepin' on.

When the warranty doesn’t cover it, it gets sold. My normal daily is my Avatar. A ‘79 done and built my way.

When you think about retiring does it cross your mind how you will pay to repair the computerized car or truck you use to commute on a daily basis? Variable timing, direct fuel injection, and touch screen infotainment systems are fine until something goes wrong. Then it's time to pay a tech $100+ per hour just to diagnose the problem.

This is why I chose to get a decent 69 El Camino (as I said in another thread, I would have bought a MOPAR if they made one in America) and get it completely road worthy from front to rear before selling my modern truck. I only drive about 3000 miles per year mostly on local side streets. But I can just as easily cruise at highway speeds to visit out of town relatives when the time comes.

How about you guys? Anyone think I'm daft for relying on an old school ride as my only transportation? Have you considered going the same route as me? Or, have you already made the decision to to keep it simple and daily drive a classic rig?

View attachment 877160

Auto Transport Service
Back