• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Winter Project - ‘69 GTX Engine Compartment Rehab

First clean up with Dawn dish soap/water mixed in a spray bottle and wiped down with rags. The trans was previously painted so it cleaned up easily. Next step is to Scotchbrite the old paint then go over it again with wax and grease remover.
BA118374-E947-4554-87C6-418B84940F38.jpeg

Last edited:
The small parts are ready to go back on. The trans will need to dry for a couple hours first…

image.jpg

image.jpg

Man, you’re flying through this! Keep on going and you’ll be back on the road in no time!
I’ve been out here since 6am, being able to put in a full day without distraction really helps. The goal is to have everything back together and dialed in by May. Hopefully the snow will be gone by then.

All done and out of my way…

image.jpg

On Saturday I brought the k member to the car wash and degreased it. I’ll drop it and the water pump housing at the powder coater at lunchtime.

The sandblasting shop is supposed to have my cooling fan and Air Grabber baseplate done today. I hope they call so I can get them painted up tonight.

My buddy bought a 22” radiator for his ‘63, he saved the packaging for me so I can box up my radiator and get it shipped off to Glen-Ray. I need to get that going because of the expected 3-4 month turnaround time.

It’s going to be a busy day…

I made it to the powder coat shop and got the radiator shipped, but the sandblaster was closed when I got there at 4:50. I’ll have to try again tomorrow.

I’m not working in the shop tonight, but more stuff showed up today…

F5830D5E-AAF8-48C9-BB0D-9620EAC5078B.jpeg

Time to call it a day anyway Mark! But I know what it's all about to put in a 22 -27 hour day working on stuff. Finished pulling my engine in the Charger at 2:30 in the morning. I'm not 35 anymore. I miss those all nighters in a way.

Just got back from the blaster, my parts are sitting right where I left them on 12/21, even though they promised they’ll be done by 1/9. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

I’m going to try something new, black oxide coating for some of the fasteners. It looks pretty straightforward in YouTube videos, we shall see…

image.jpg

Don't know where you are in Minnesota but can recommend a powder coater in the South metro with in house blasting. I ran the place for nearly 20 yrs before retiring. #2 son is the sales guy there.

Don't know where you are in Minnesota but can recommend a powder coater in the South metro with in house blasting. I ran the place for nearly 20 yrs before retiring. #2 son is the sales guy there.

I’m in the north metro. New Image Coatings is a few miles from home, the owner Mark has always done a great job for me. Thanks though

They're a good shop. Can't throw rocks at them.

Only offered because of your problems with the blasting, frankly one of the reasons we'd set up our own in house capabilities years back. .

What they use? Glass beads? Zoomed in a little, might be a little more aggressive than the beads.

No blast cabinet?

What they use? Glass beads? Zoomed in a little, might be a little more aggressive than the beads.

No blast cabinet?

Can’t say for sure but I was told fine Garnet media, it put very little texture on the surface.

The Air Grabber lid had a bunch of dust specks because I laid it flat when I painted it. I lightly sanded it with 1000 grit and gave it a couple more coats with the lid hanging vertically.

I had previously painted the underside of the lid with Street HEMI Orange and painted the top side with air cleaner orange. Here are pictures of both sides for comparison. There’s quite a difference…
00CE7D71-2DE0-4343-B1C1-3B4A3B5E4F8D.jpeg

6C289B23-D268-43DA-8F9B-5701C42146E8.jpeg

Yes Just a little!

Looking great Mark!

Yes, pictures of the paint cans leave nothing to the imagination/

Auto Transport Service
Back