• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa: E.B. Sledge ...

Reading Operation Sea Lion: Hitler's plan to invade England.

After that, German Battle tactics on the Russian Front 1941-1945.

Oh, and a biography on Gram Parsons.......

I will have to read Sledge and Leckies books.
I recently discovered that I had a relative killed on Pelelui. Not much for details kind of has me intrigued. Sadly most info has been lost in the years.

Reading Operation Sea Lion: Hitler's plan to invade England.

After that, German Battle tactics on the Russian Front 1941-1945.

Oh, and a biography on Gram Parsons.......

Have you read anything on Rommel?
I've been told Rommel And His Art of War is a good read..

My father's older brother, Uncle Carroll, was a Navy Corpsman attached to the 1st Marine Division landing forces. Landed 1st wave at Pelilu and Okinawa. Never would talk much about his experiences. At his funeral in 1999 both the Navy and Marines sent a representative and the Marine NCO handed the burial flag off to the Navy CPO and he handed it to my aunt.

My father's older brother, Uncle Carroll, was a Navy Corpsman attached to the 1st Marine Division landing forces. Landed 1st wave at Pelilu and Okinawa. Never would talk much about his experiences. At his funeral in 1999 both the Navy and Marines sent a representative and the Marine NCO handed the burial flag off to the Navy CPO and he handed it to my aunt.
My Kia relative was a Navy signalman in the 4th JASCO attached to the 1st Marine Division.
Perhaps they new each other. Too bad tour uncle is no longer with us

It is very true that most of the WW II vets didn't talk much about their experiences. My dad was a bomber pilot in the South Pacific. He only told me a few stories. Hard to believe he survived. My neighbors dad was 82nd Air Born and again only a very few stories from the drops after D Day. Those guys could do so much, put up with such terrible conditions and still the job they were expected to do.

BOOK....E. B. Sledge's With the Old Breed - At Peleliu and Okinawa....You have to look Back in History....A gripping book, I could not put it down....I have a greater understanding of what our WWII Marine Heros did for the USA & the world.......

[video=youtube;LsdHfzfMtv0]

I just finished Richard B. Frank's "Guadalcanal"
800 pages of the famous battle
Also, past 2 years I've read 7 other books on our So Pacific campaign
Today, America could not accomplish what we did in the So Pacific then!

I think we probably could, just not with the current college students. My dad flew off Guadalcanal with his B-24 and had rifle fire from the palm trees. However the .50 Cal nose gunner knew where to shoot. Japanese soldier out of the tree.

I think we probably could, just not with the current college students. My dad flew off Guadalcanal with his B-24 and had rifle fire from the palm trees. However the .50 Cal nose gunner knew where to shoot. Japanese soldier out of the tree.

Uh,
No...
Sorry to disillusion anyone....
Not gonna cite the facts, best you and anyone else who care to, read up on it.
Logistics nightmare, period!
5,300 miles from San Fran to Guadalcanal
All of America was on board.....
Our military is a "pussy" force compared to that time.....

Go back to pre-" dont as, dont tell" days. And I say say yes. We could

It's hard to have faith when they name ships after Harvey Milk

Uh,
No...
Sorry to disillusion anyone....
Not gonna cite the facts, best you and anyone else who care to, read up on it.
Logistics nightmare, period!
5,300 miles from San Fran to Guadalcanal
All of America was on board.....
Our military is a "pussy" force compared to that time.....

Not sure what you are disputing. We have a group of college students that could not have lived through the South Pacific war , how many Berkley students would be able to deal with the Battan death march. I have read lots about the WW II conflict and the courage and dedication of my fathers generation and my mothers contribution to the effort.

I'm extremely fortunate to work daily at Edwards AFB Flight Test Research Center (AFFTC)
I am doubly fortunate to be working on the Air Forces' most sophisticated War Bird....
-I see the "kids" daily, and it's not too bad here, all "hand picked" "Fire-Ball 5s...a annual rating in the Air force (I'm a 20 year vet BTW)
But, recently these kids have been going through all sorts of crazy classes...
Most recent is: Trans Gender Sensitivity Training.....
This is a correct and true statement!

I'm deep into this Guadal-Canal book
I wish you could pick it up and read it......

BTW: There is NO Canal on Guadal-Canal
It was named after a town in Spain by Spanish explorers in the late 1600s!
Same with Savo Island and Florida Island....
Interesting to note!
I'm reading all about your dad's outfit and all of the others
Unbelievable story!

Northwestern or Mizzou students on the Bataan Death March.
Don't think 2% of them would make it

Northwestern or Mizzou students on the Bataan Death March.
Don't think 2% of them would make it

I've been to the PI
Maj. Gen. Edward King, Jr., surrendered to Col. Mootoo Nakayama of the 14th Japanese Army
General "Skinny" Wainwright and the men who performed that death feat....a march through the hot and humid jungle for 65 miles!
Horrific!

In total, 10,000 men – 1,000 American and 9,000 Filipino – died during the Bataan Death March. Those that survived the march would spend the next 40 months in horrific conditions in confinement camps. Most were transported to the Japanese man island aboard “death ships.” Many did not survive the voyage.

I've been to the PI
Maj. Gen. Edward King, Jr., surrendered to Col. Mootoo Nakayama of the 14th Japanese Army
General "Skinny" Wainwright and the men who performed that death feat....a march through the hot and humid jungle for 65 miles!
Horrific!

In total, 10,000 men – 1,000 American and 9,000 Filipino – died during the Bataan Death March. Those that survived the march would spend the next 40 months in horrific conditions in confinement camps. Most were transported to the Japanese man island aboard “death ships.” Many did not survive the voyage.

Again, conditions that most of us could not imagine. And the folks at many of our institutions of higher learning would not believe or certainly not survive.

I just finished Richard B. Frank's "Guadalcanal"
800 pages of the famous battle
Also, past 2 years I've read 7 other books on our So Pacific campaign
Today, America could not accomplish what we did in the So Pacific then!

Frank's book is high on my recommended list. I like his work. I also recommend his book Downfall about the last days of Japan.

I also like Eric Hammel's work. Have you read his three book set on Guadalcanal?
Tregaskis Guadalcanal Diary is a must for any library simply for the contemporaneous account. (1943)

Thanks guys
more great reading & great books I need to check out

Auto Transport Service
Back