• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you buy it?

GetX'd

Making Life Great Again!
Local time
5:48 PM
Reaction score
Not for me - but I have an immigrant Family that just. Over here to the USA. I'm looking for a reliable car for the, with a small budget of $6k. They are Asian and want a Toyota or a Honda.

I found an absolutely immaculate Honda CR-V for $6k. The only problem is it has 200k miles on it. One owner car with a car fax that shows the consistent service record of the car. It's a 2009 and the miles are average of nearly 30k per year. The car is pristine and the service records are good. I expect these Hondas to last at least 300k or more.

Opinions pls. I want to help this family out but with their slim budget I m not sure what to do.
Any and all - thx!
Kevin

next door neighbours have two that seem to go on for ever , if it has service records get them to check when timing belt was last changed that is the most important part of a "interference " motor when they break lots of other stuff happens that costs money . maybe check a couple of Honda sites they will have someone that can give you tips on what to look for found this one check their home page
http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/19-maintenance-service/15274-interference-engine.html

Wow, can't comprehend buying anything with that amount of miles on it. Each on its own merit though, caveat emptor, check it and have a PPI done.

I agree with poly , those things will run forever as long as the belts are regularly changed. I think the recommendation is every 100k. What year?
I don't know if I would spend 6k.... Maybe start @ $4700 and settle @ <$5500???

Missed the 09 in op....

Last edited:
Yea, that seems like a high price for that many miles. I know they last a long time. I just don't know how many to expect without little issues. If they have service records, I'd be scouring them to see what kinds of things have been replaced over the years to see if there's been any big/major issues that have already been taken care of.

Wife drives a Toyota with about 300K miles on it. Bought it without many service records and have done a few things to it but runs good.

Keep in mind that at 200k miles, you need to look at other things beside the engine. Like Dennis said, get a through pre-purchase inspection. You want to look at the suspension very closely as that can get expensive as well.

30K miles per year is not Average, i believe its more like 15K miles per year, but your right you will get another 100K out of that car so $6000.00 isn't that out of line,but $4500.00 would be better to me.

I know it is a later model car but still think $6000 is very high for a 7 year old car with 200k Miles on it. I would think for $6000, you could find a very reliable car (Maybe not a Honda or Toyota) in the 70-90k miles range that will last even longer.

I see your location is California though so the cost of vehicles may be higher there. I just looked on craigslist in Dallas, TX for giggles and found a 2009 (2 Door) Accord with 94k miles for $5900 as an example. I know that every car and situation is different and this could be a bad accord but there are good cars out there to be had if you search hard for them.

If its been serviced properly and the timing belt has been done recently then I'd say kbb it get the exact price and make an offer at 200K sounds like it might need it's second belt . Make offer ocordoling I wouldn't pay over $4-4500 for it and that's not seeing it I'd probably get down even further. But I'm not in c.a. I'm in FL. The butt hole of America so stuff is a bit cheaper down here 200K wouldn't scare me off most everything no a days has that many miles on it in the used market.
Good luck

No, i wouldn't buy it. Its one thing to buy a car new or almost new and put that kind of milage on it..Its another to buy one with that kind of milage and its not like the owner is selling it cheap either.

I'd introduce the immigrants to American cars and things.

Auto Transport Service
Back