• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Youngsters know nothing about push starts?

Dako

Local time
10:00 PM
Reaction score
So a younger guy at work asks me if I have jumper cables and can give him a jump start because he left his lights on...he's driving a Miata. I told him I did not, then inquired about the transmission. He said yes, it was manual. So I asked why he didn't just push start it. He had no idea what I was talking about! How does one own a manual transmissioned car and know nothing about push starting?! Times have changed! What person has not push started a vehicle or motorcycle? Evidently the kids of today.

I keep a pair of running shoes in the car just in case I need to do the dreaded push start.... LOL!!!

Yeah I used to have an old Honda that I bought for $50 bucks and push started it a bunch .. kinda brings back good memories not that I'd be able to or want to do that again on a motorcycle now though :)

Yeah I used to have an old Honda that I bought for $50 bucks and push started it a bunch .. kinda brings back good memories not that I'd be able to or want to do that again on a motorcycle now though :)

Honda cars (thats what we called them back in the `70s) were the easiest! I could do my Dad's by myself! 2nd (or 3rd) gear starts were a piece of cake!

- - - Updated - - -

Parking on a Hill...No pushing needed.....

Did that too when I knew the starter was going...or the battery was bad but the alternator was good!

Yeah using 3rd was the secret. I push started both the 70 and 68 RR's a few times by myself when necessary back then but the Honda was a cickle

Smart move and yes I did that too when they were available

What, hills or manuals?

I remember back in the day at a midnight covert drag strip outside of town, the Bird was having alternator / regulator issues, cops showed up and ran everybody off and she wouldn't turn over. Had a buddy with me who was 6'-4"-250lbs and told him to get out and push.

She fired right up but the cops were looking at us like we were a couple of morons.....we were.

I have two mopars, the 72 Satellite is a 727 auto but the 52 pickup is a 4 speed manual.

When originally trying to get the 6 volt to fire the flathead 6, could not get it to turn over fast enough. Fresh battery even. Had sat for over 10 years. Talked my wife into pulling me with the lawn tractor. BOY was she surprised when I dropped the clutch in 4th.

Open exhaust got her attention!!

Yes, that is dual webers on the intake.

(The Ford is my winter beater)
CAM00546.jpg

Attachments

• CAM00097.jpg
    CAM00097.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
OK, so I guess you mean hills (a subject is handy to have in most sentences). Hell they're everywhere, even in flat ol Illinois.

Well it's kind of redundant in response to a statement that I quoted and you saw when you responded don't you think? Also unfortunately my small patch of So ILL was unfortunately flat event though there where hills in most directions from my small town

Well it's kind of redundant in response to a statement that I quoted and you saw when you responded don't you think? Also unfortunately my small patch of So ILL was unfortunately flat event though there where hills in most directions from my small town

No, I don't think, hense the question.

Give the kid credit for being able to drive a stick. Most younger people these days have no clue!

If the battery is stone dead can a newer fuel injected vehicle even be push started?Guessing not.

No, I don't think, hense the question.

Chill brother and if you are going to correct me on grammar get your spell'in correct :)

- - - Updated - - -

If the battery is stone dead can a newer fuel injected vehicle even be push started?Guessing not.

Interesting question and would probably depend on how much if any fuel were left in the intake .. I'm trying to recall if I ever had to push start my 89 Mustang GT ...

- - - Updated - - -

Give the kid credit for being able to drive a stick. Most younger people these days have no clue!

Good point Greg

Hmm, I've had to push start my 89 mustang before but the battery wasn't completely dead. Still just enough to run the fuel pump.

Like all problems with young people you have to blame the parents. My daughter 23 and son 21, both know how to push start cars trucks and motorcycles. BTW my daughter's kitty is named Mopar. For Christmas she gave my son and me Mopar tin signs. My son bought 2 projects home for the Christmas college break. A 1984 Celica GTS $400 and a 1988 Supra Turbo $1300. Why, because he wants to go fast and 4th gen Z28's are still too expensive for him. He loves to work on cars and thinks an ME degree can get him the cars he wants. Right now we have more cars than good batteries. He always switching batteries from one car to another.

I've started my 1997 Camaro SS with a roll start.

Auto Transport Service
Back