• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Plymouth Savoy Build

Got the thick black fiber style felpro gaskets for the valve covers and black ARP bolts. Also got a fuel pump push rod from Mancini racing. Steel stock one. The cam is a caster Comp Cam so the steel will work right. Got the Carter M6903 pump as well. Next I will be mounting the rocker arm and measuring the push rod length to order the all Comp cam parts.

IMG_1884.jpg IMG_1885.jpg IMG_1889.jpg IMG_1890.jpg IMG_1891.jpg IMG_1892.jpg IMG_1899.jpg

I'm coming down on Saturday, got a room by the Ontario Mills so its close. A friend of mine is coming up from Ramona so we can hang out. Have not seen each other for quite awhile. I haven't been to this show, usually just the flings and mats, but its the only one so far this year so what the heck.

Same for me. Going with my Mopar friend from high school. I have never been to this one either. My friend and I always go to MATS and Fling as well. I know they canceled spring fling just a few weeks back and I really miss the MATS in Vegas. Looking forward to this to get my Mopar Fix since I've been deprived over the last year. I will be going to the nationals in Columbus Ohio in Aug. Looking forward to that.

Got the hardware for the water pump at Mopars in May show so finally mounted it on the block, also picked up a single groove water pump pulley and crank pulley, needed a crank shim to line the pullies up perfectly. I will post pictures of those later. Also got my Comp Cam 1621-16 pro magnum shaft mount roller tip rockers, measured up the push rod length and ordered them. Center force clutch kit came in and measure the bell housing alignment and it's off .007 to the right and .024 too high so ordered offset pins to align from summit racing and waiting for them to arrive either tomorrow or Friday. Want to get the transmission hooked up so I can install the motor this weekend.

IMG_1915.jpg IMG_1916.jpg IMG_1917.jpg IMG_1918.jpg IMG_1919.jpg IMG_1920.jpg IMG_1921.jpg

Also got a fuel pump push rod from Mancini racing. Steel stock one. The cam is a caster Comp Cam so the steel will work right. Got the Carter M6903 pump as well.
Just a heads up on 2 items on your list. Nobody makes a decent fuel pump pushrod right now. They will work, but wear fairly quickly. I bought one from Mancini as well because they were supposed to be the best. I was surprised at how much length it lost after only 2000 miles. Ended up getting lucky and found a couple NOS rods.
Also, the Carter 6903's as of late are coming with way to high of outlet pressure. My last 2 were 11-12". If you are running a regulator, it won't be a problem, but I don't. Sent both my brand new 6903's out to get the problem corrected. Just a couple of things to be aware of on that great looking build of yours.

I was concerned about that with the push rod as well, wanted a original one but could not find one, read the horror stories about ones failing prematurely. Figure to that the Mancini one would be the best choice. Thanks for the info and I will keep an eye on it. I’ll still keep looking for a good original one. The pump on the other hand I hope it’s pressure are right where they are supposed to be, I don’t want to run a regulator because it’s not original to a max wedge so I’ll keep my fingers crossed on that one and see. Lol! Thanks for the advise

I was concerned about that with the push rod as well, wanted a original one but could not find one, read the horror stories about ones failing prematurely. Figure to that the Mancini one would be the best choice. Thanks for the info and I will keep an eye on it. I’ll still keep looking for a good original one. The pump on the other hand I hope it’s pressure are right where they are supposed to be, I don’t want to run a regulator because it’s not original to a max wedge so I’ll keep my fingers crossed on that one and see. Lol! Thanks for the advise
I would be willing to bet the pump will be putting out to much pressure. Here is an informitive thread the guy I had fix mine posted. Mike did a great job with a fast turnaround time.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/how-to-rebuilding-a-carter-6903.196323/

Ordered a crank pulley shim from 440 source. Also got their aluminum alternator brackets. The pullies both line up perfectly. So now I will send them out to be powder coated black the pullies and the alternator brackets. I also had my car moved from my shop to my garage at home.

IMG_1923.jpg IMG_1924.jpg IMG_1925.jpg IMG_1926.jpg IMG_1927.jpg IMG_1928.jpg IMG_1929.jpg

Smart thinking on getting the accessories on the front to check alignments and fixing where needed. Much easier than in the car. This will help immensely with any potential belt issues.

Chuck Marshall...What are you going to set your valve lash at ????

LOL! I don't know yet but I think it's on the cam card that comp cam gave. I will be doing it to that. its a solid cam. unless you have recommendations?

Mail box is full. See you need a factory mopar fuel pump pushrod. Have a used one slightly worn .001/.002 at the most. If you're interested pm me. $40 shipped and if you don't like it I'll refund the $40 you pay return shipping. I think wear is .001-.
p rod.jpg
p rod1.jpg
p rod2.jpg

Last edited:
Chuck Marshall...Back in the day when I raced at Lions Drag Strip, I ran 28 degrees intake and 32 degrees exhaust...set cold. I hope that that helps.
Both 1963 and 1964 Plymouth Maxies that I have are set or will be set the same.

I performed the bell housing alignment readings and found I needed to lower the bell housing about .020. I first got the Lakewood offset dowel pins but was not happy with them because they are larger then the Mopars by like .004 so too tight to rotate. Ordered Another set of dowel pins from RobbMc Dowels(which came recommended by members on this forum). These dowels are perfect. Fit nice and was able to line up bell housing to within .002. So I highly recommend these dowels as well. Also got the center force clutch and pressure plate mounted and torqued. Just need to slip on transmission.

IMG_1941.jpg IMG_1942.jpg IMG_1943.jpg IMG_1944.jpg IMG_1945.jpg IMG_1946.jpg IMG_1947.jpg IMG_1948.jpg

Ok, Got the pullies and Alternator brackets back from powder coating, Also got a set of Valve cover Stickers. And after all the measuring and checking I got the transmission connected to the motor now. Soon it will be going in the car. I'm now unemployed so I have a little time to get some of the work done on the car. I heard a rumor that Muscle Cars At The Strip will be held this year in September. Maybe I can have the car done for that as it's first show

IMG_1950.jpg IMG_1951.jpg IMG_1952.jpg IMG_1953.jpg IMG_1956.jpg IMG_1957.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back