• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Plymouth Savoy Build

Slowly coming together!

IMG_1958.jpg IMG_1959.jpg IMG_1960.jpg IMG_1961.jpg IMG_1962.jpg

Chuck...Why 426 Stage II valve cover decals and not 426 Stage III valve cover decals, which would be 1964...the year of your Plymouth?
I have a 1963 Plymouth Savoy 426 Stage II (June 1963) Max Wedge (4 bolt valve covers) and the 1964 Plymouth Belvedere 426 Stage III (November 1963) Max Wedge (6 bolt valve covers).
Just letting you know that if at a car show, people in the know are going to ask the same question.
Giving you a heads up.

Reminiscing, did mine in 2013..trying to locate build pictures, Should have been as diligent as you.
Found a receipt for $200 for chrome plating one tail light bezel.
Are you bringing it to Carlisle this year?

IMG_6098.JPG

Reminiscing, did mine in 2013..trying to locate build pictures, Should have been as diligent as you.
Found a receipt for $200 for chrome plating one tail light bezel.
Are you bringing it to Carlisle this year?

View attachment 1124732
I would like to see those pictures when you find them. I think that’s what it cost me to rechrome my tail light bezels. I’m going to Columbus Ohio this year for the Nationals. Lol! To far right now for me to bring the car but definitely some day I will trailer it to Carlisle

Chuck...Why 426 Stage II valve cover decals and not 426 Stage III valve cover decals, which would be 1964...the year of your Plymouth?
I have a 1963 Plymouth Savoy 426 Stage II (June 1963) Max Wedge (4 bolt valve covers) and the 1964 Plymouth Belvedere 426 Stage III (November 1963) Max Wedge (6 bolt valve covers).
Just letting you know that if at a car show, people in the know are going to ask the same question.
Giving you a heads up.
I had a hard time deciding which way to go on those. I have built this car to be how it should be for a 64 super stock Plymouth. I agree with you on people at shows would see the decals and wonder why the II and not III for 64. The biggest problem was the Exhaust Manifolds not being the Tri-Y style which was the most visual change on the motor. The motor looks more like a stage II then a stage III. I don’t know what is best on terms on what I’m representing. What’s your thoughts on this? I could use another opinion Thanks

Chuck...I have only seen one set of Tri-Y headers and they were on the ground at a swap meet for sale. I have never seen a set on a 1964 Plymouth or 1964 Dodge of any model in fact with them bolted on. Both of my factory max wedge headers are the ones that are most commonly seen on any max wedge engine exactly like the ones that you have bolted to your engine.

I didn't want to rain on your parade, I only wanted to give you a heads up.

But since you asked, I would go with the 1964 Plymouth 426 Stage III decals.
However, since it looks like you have already put them on, you might as well leave them for the many inquires that you are going to be confronted with. LOL

On the insulation pad... Yes both of my Plymouths, 1963 and the 1964 came with one. I have since replaced each with a rubber fuel tank insulation pad that I bought from Detroit Technologies.

I really love what you've done. Great Job!

By the way, what size fuel line did you go with the fuel tank sending unit? Then with the intermediate line to the fuel pump and then on from the pump to the carburetors with?--- 5/16" was the original factory size.
Or 3/8, which came out on the Hemis?
On the 1963 it is 5/16" original.
On the 1964 I upgraded to the 3/8" sending unit, 3/8" intermediate line to the pump, but from the pump it is 5/16" to the carburetors.

Last edited:
Steve...Nice looking machine...
What motor. transmission, rear end 8 3/4 or dana 60 and then what gear ratio?

No, by all means you did not rain on my parade. I love the correct info. Your right I've only seen those manifolds on one car and it was at Spring Fling at balboa park 3 years ago. They were rusty and nasty looking for sure Lol! They also are selling those for like 5k. So based on your infor I will change to the Stage III decals. Your right too because I don't want to be at a car show and be explaining my self on why I have stage II decals on a 64 Lol! I got my gas tank, main fuel line, insulator pad and sending unit from Dante's Mopar Parts all in 3/8 to pump. I haven't got the pump to carb lines yet but I'm noticing different ways that they are routed but don't know what's correct for a 64? Would you happen to know and possible pictures

Chuck...What carburetors are you going to run on this motor?
Once I know that, I can make a recommendation for the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carburetors.
If you are going to be correct, you have to run 2 Carter AFB'S 3705S. Don't worry about the date code listed on the lower left side in front of the carburetor's base as only a purist would check that out and they are few and far in between.

Steve...Nice looking machine...
What motor. transmission, rear end 8 3/4 or dana 60 and then what gear ratio?
Big surprise when I open the hood. EVERYBODY expects a Hemi Or Max Wedge.
225/ with 2X2 carbs. 3 speed on the floor, 8 3/4, people see it as a 4 speed until they look closer or I point it out. I'll take some pictures of it later today and post, I recall not taking very many or no resto pictures. I vacillated several times going big block but at my age I decided to leave it as is.

Try Y's are here locally on a 64 Dodge, He has been trying to sell the car for years ($155,000), Really going over board on the fact that they have the try y's. Says they are original to the car but has no proof. He tried Mecum in 2018 and I think it brought in the $60k range with a no sale.
Most who see it do not like the look at all, really just too much going on.

IMG_6235.JPG

Steve...Yes, what a surprise.
I am glad that you kept it with the 225 engine as I have seen so many unrestored 6 cylinder motors in them over the years and certainly not with your carburetor system.

As far as the Tri-Ys...Good luck with them at that price.

Thank you for sharing.
Would love to see more.
Great job!

Chuck Marshall, I wanted to let you know that if you do not go with a pair of Carter AFB 3705S ( Note, there are a few pairs on eBay for sale)...and instead you decide to go with the Edelbrock's Carburetors, there is fuel line system---fuel pump to carburetors--- available for you and is available in either steel or stainless from SSTubes/Fine Lines. Stainless part number: RPC6407SS and is for 1964 Plymouth or Dodge.

For 1963-1964 Plymouth or Dodge using the Carter AFB's 3705S from SSTubes/Fine Lines in Stainless the part number is RPC6401SS and in Steel the part number is RPC64010M.
So you have choices.
I hope that helps.

As for my two, I have yet to set up either the 1963 Plymouth Savoy or the 1964 Plymouth Belvedere as I am still gathering parts and currently I am working on my 1964 Dodge 440 2 door sedan 426S street wedge and 4 speed project. So I am in the same position as you are as to set them up as they came from the factory.
However there are so many pictured examples on the internet that that should not be a problem for either of us.
Let me know if I can help further.
Best of Luck.
MadMax3426

In removing the 426 Stage II decals, carefully use a heat gun. If you decide to go that way.

Here are a few I just took. Haven't found any resto ones, yet.
Notice the sun visor and dome light delete.

IMG_1542.JPG IMG_1544.JPG IMG_1545.JPG IMG_1546.JPG IMG_1547.JPG IMG_1549.JPG IMG_1553.JPG IMG_1555.JPG IMG_1557.JPG

Factory in dash tac, No trunk lid SS strip under the P L Y M O U T H.
I have another parts car with the trunk lid, with out the SS strip. no holes to indicate it ever had one. I saw one other 64 without the strip.

IMG_1561.JPG IMG_1563.JPG IMG_1564.JPG IMG_1566.JPG IMG_1554.JPG

Chuck Marshall...
Did you get a chance to read my last post regarding the fuel line system and including my question about what carburetors you are going to run?

Chuck Marshall...
Here is the best photo of the original fuel pump to carburetors fuel line T before the split to the two carburetors.
Not knowing what carburetors you are going to run, still I did post the carburetor fuel pump to carburetors for you in earlier posted thread.
I hope that this helps.

1963-1964 Plymouth 426 MAX WEDGE FUEL PUMP TO CARBURETOR LINE SETUP.jpg

Chuck Marshall...
Here is the best photo of the original fuel pump to carburetors fuel line T before the split to the two carburetors.
Not knowing what carburetors you are going to run, still I did post the carburetor fuel pump to carburetors for you in earlier posted thread.
I hope that this helps.

View attachment 1126847
That picture is what I’ve wanted, the fuel filters and lines are running along the valve cover on the right. The lines from A&A Transmissions and Mancini Racing where they are side by side on the left center is not correct. Thanks for this because now I know which way to go. I’m wanting to run Edelbrock carbs because they are based on AFB designs, I’m also running velocity stacks to the hood. Sorry I’m slow getting back to you it’s been a crazy week

Auto Transport Service
Back