• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Satellite restomod street toy

and its pomonamissel , its a combo of cars i have named . the 'miss el ' is a 27 t turtle deck tube chassi ride with a wild wedge hemi 4spd , thus the tag missile . but the plate was taking of course , so my word combo to the rescue , lol;) say miss el its works . its still in the works . QUOTE]

PokemonMissel, okay that explains the odd spelling of your moniker........:)

As the saying goes "It's your car" . Ask opinions and you'll get them, doesn't mean you have to follow them. Want to see what you decide.
Fran, just bantering, I value all of the people that put forth honest opinions. My comment was intended to give you chuckle! thanks Brian.

no pokeman here . and pomona is a long , wide , straight street , here in sj were we have property since the beginning of time . it is also a city in california . lol ;)

Hi Guys, I posted early in this thread that I was undecided about carrying a spare tire. The spare tire well isn't large enough to accommodate a spare that will fit the car. I didn't want to carry a jack and I can't imagine that I would ever want to use the stock bumper jack on the freshly re-chromed bumpers. I begrudgingly arrived at the position that I would carry a couple of different types of "fix a flat" and use the remaining space in the well to carry some basic tools. In the stock configuration the spare tire supports the cardboard/masonite panel under the trunk mat. Without the spare in place the panel was unsupported so we made a stand to support the center that is in the photos. That was probably okay but rolling the trunk mat up far enough to get the panel out was a PITA. I thought if the panel was split it would be easier to access the well. That brought me to the configuration that you see here. After powder coat we will foam tape the contact locations to minimize rattles (hopefully). Thanks for looking, Brian.

IMG_0912.JPG

IMG_0910.JPG

IMG_0906.JPG

Very clean solution! I did a similar enclosement to the rear (3rd) seat area in my 66 SW. I'm covering a box containing a fuel cell and the battery. I was able to utilize the perimeter flange Plymouth designed to support the folded down seat assemblies to support a aluminum floor (with a access cover).
Mike

Very clean solution! I did a similar enclosement to the rear (3rd) seat area in my 66 SW. I'm covering a box containing a fuel cell and the battery. I was able to utilize the perimeter flange Plymouth designed to support the folded down seat assemblies to support a aluminum floor (with a access cover).
Mike

493 Mike, I really like the B body wagons, they're way cool and make great sleepers!

IMG_8467.JPG
Hi Guys, when I drove my car back to the "hanger" from the paint shop (1/4 mile) a large piece of gravel was lodged in the front tire. When I put it on the hoist and dug the stone out of the tread I was looking at the bottom side of the fender between the front and rear stone shields. I'm sure if that stone had hit the bottom fender it would have "stared" the first surface.
IMG_0936.JPG

I spent a lot of time removing the under coating on the car and I'm willing to live with stone chips under the vehicle but the fenders having dents popped up from the bottom, can't live with that! I don't think that clear chip guard film is enough to stop stone. Anybody have any ideas?

We're cleaning up a bunch of details and we took some photos for the insurance company, I know how much you guys like photos so I thought I would post them. Thanks for looking, Brian.

IMG_8459.JPG
IMG_8465.JPG

IMG_8467.JPG

IMG_8470.JPG

IMG_8471.JPG

IMG_8473.JPG

To POMONAMISSEL and you other guys that felt that gold wheels would be better you may be right but I'm still undecided. I do like it a lot better with the wheel lip trim and rocker moldings. Thanks again, Brian.

well can you do two sets of tires and rims , black ones and a gold set to change up the look . some folks do two setups , mags and steels . but two steel setups would be cool .

well can you do two sets of tires and rims , black ones and a gold set to change up the look . some folks do two setups , mags and steels . but two steel setups would be cool .

Hi POMONAMISSEL, I do think that the wheels would look good body color, if they had trim rings. When I was younger, one of the guys in our group lost a trim ring and it did an unbelievable amount of damage to a very nice car. In my opinion trim rings are also excellent for creating an out of balance wheel assembly.

Back in the day we used to remove hub caps and trim rings at the drag strip, I'm not sure it was required but we did. It became cool to cruise on Woodward Ave. after being at the track with no caps or rings.

In the middle class area I grew up in most all of the new cars purchased were very lightly optioned. Man those old guys were cheap! I'd bet that fully half of the cars on my street were 6 cylinders, 3 on the tree and the option was a radio, most of them had bennie hub caps. Those 10 year old cars were what we bought when we started driving, notice I didn't say my parents bought me, the kids today wouldn't be caught dead in the cars we drove.......LOL.

I guess the steel wheel and dog dish look just evokes memories for me, that said, the car is way to glitz. Thanks, Brian.

ya brian , steels at the track was the look , and i believe if it wasn't bolted on . it had to come off before we could race . and those old timers with 6's n 3spd's . well that was the standard when their were growing up . no country club family here , lol . my first learner driver was my that 41 4x4 in the pic , we cut x mas trees to sell in the winter . my first street car was a 65 austin healey sprite it had a wrecked front end , next was a 66 sat commando 383 4spd w/ls 8 3/4 , dark red met , black interior buckets console with a wrecked front end . well my dad owned a body shop and used truck dealership . a small biz with one or two guy operation . ya i was the second guy , boy friday just learning the trade and cars n trucks . we still have the shop , but we're phasing out , i'm 62 and i'm very picky on what and who's junk i want to work on . you know thinking back , most of my cars n trucks were wrecked when i bought them , lol . growing up as a used car dealers son had some cool advantages , we would go the the used car action . and i would get loss in all those cars going up for bid . man i test drove a lot of cool muscle cars . well i'm thank full i had what i had , thats why my hoard is large i'm sure . back to your 66 , its to sweet 4 da street . your road tossing tires are never going to stop that , you could make trash guards to protect your work . then there there in front of that beautiful work . my p/u's have a similar issue on the rear fenders . but their not showy .

Thanks Patrick66, "Can't wait to see pics of the body on the ground, sitting on the tires." I'm sure that you're not the first person with that sentiment. My wife wants to know why it's taking so long and when it's time to do honey do's. The grandkids want to know when they can go for a ride, I told them by the time it's done they'll probably be driving! The guy's in the shop will probably have a celebration if it ever drives away. When I asked my friend if I could work on the car at his shop I told him that the plan was big engine, headers, new exhaust, bigger gear and a trans/converter swap. I betcha he would like to see it on the tires also......LOL.

Does anybody out there have any recommendations for a trans supplier. I talked to John Cope and the guy at PTC (I've forgotten his name) at a Mopar show and I liked both of them. If anybody has any feedback I would love to hear it. Thanks Brian.
John Cope OR A&A (Rick Allison) are both Number One Torqueflite guys. I would recommend either of them. I personally have an A&A with a Transbrake.

Build issues and convoluted parking brake.

Hi Guy's I've been working on my project but I discovered some build issues..........one step forward two steps backward! First the wheel studs in the front spindle are not long enough. I'm using a steel wheel and I would have thought that would require about the shortest stud of any configuration possible, regardless they aren't long enough! The front knuckles, spindles, hats, rotors and caliper assemblies were about the only part of this car that I didn't think I would have to touch again....LOL. The way the Wilwood kit assembles everything has to come apart to install the wheel studs. I put them together three months ago and I just now got the red stains off my hands from the synthetic grease, not to mention the holes in the ends of my fingers from the safety wire. Then I discovered that the rear axle didn't droop far enough in full rebound to allow me to get the tires on the car. In addition the small single piston caliper that that I mounted straight up to perform the parking brake function was also in the way. It's been so long since I've worked on a vehicle that the wheel well lip covered the top of the tire, I never even considered this might be an issue......dummy, dummy, dummy........ So longer shock eyes, a relocated parking brake caliper, longer front wheel studs and we are back to making progress.

I normally don't post until I have finished parts to show but in this case I needed to feel like I was making progress for my sanity. I wanted to use the original parking brake pedal assembly in the car so in order to integrate it with hydraulic calipers I built this little cable operated master cylinder assembly. The ratio needed to be increased as the cable only pulled about an inch and the caliper stroke is 1.375 in. I'm pretty sure that the system would have worked without the ratio change but then again I thought the tires would go on the car too. The roller is to align the cable for a straight pull and the coupler and clevis still have to be made. The piece of tube between the cable stud and the solid rod end is just a place holder. Actually I've been having fun but I got a little lazy and I was humbled for it! Thanks brian.View attachment 248032View attachment 248033View attachment 248031[

View attachment 248031 View attachment 248032 View attachment 248033
Try letting all of the air out of the tires, stuff them up into the wheel wells and then air them back up...works for me...

I HAVE BEEN A MOPAR GUY SINCE 1963. I just spent an hour going thru your build thread for the first time this evening.
I do not have enuf words to tell you how much I admire and am amazed at your build.
All I can say is:
"It is a compliment to every B-Body enthusiasts to have you as part of our world"

Another great example of how a build thread should be done! And doing exceptional work just adds to it.:thumbsup:

I've been a metal fabricator all my life and I can recognize good work. Im seeing great planning, designing and machine work. Fabricating and welding is top notch along with great paint work.

The thing that's missing in your build here is all of the prep work it takes when doing this kind of build. You're showing finished pieces being assembled and I know how much effort it takes to get just one piece ready for assembly. I know your thread would have to be at least twice as long if you showed the "behind the scenes" of what it really takes to accomplish what you have. Just hope others realize all of your efforts. Nice job!

About your concerns of stones doing damage to the inner fenders, maybe you could apply a spray on paintable bed liner type of product under there. Then paint it your body color. A lot of newer cars use the stone guard on the outside of the car (rocker panels) and then it's painted the body color.

Congratulations on your build!

PS: keep the wheels black. Paint a spare wheel gold and try it.

Hey Brian, I just finished reading your thread and I bam beyond impressed with both your vision and skill sets. Your work makes the Ring Brother s look like shade tree mechanics.
On the wheel and tire issue you might want to mock up a gold pin stripe on the outer edge of the rim using an extra rim and tire. A little contrast bring s it all together.
I think we all envy your talent and determination especially with your fight with MS. Wishing you a Merry Christmas.
Gary

Brian,
What about a strip of closed cell foam glued to the area taking the stone abuse? Or some type of sacrificial material styled and colored to match?
Mike

I HAVE BEEN A MOPAR GUY SINCE 1963. I just spent an hour going thru your build thread for the first time this evening.
I do not have enuf words to tell you how much I admire and am amazed at your build.
All I can say is:
"It is a compliment to every B-Body enthusiasts to have you as part of our world"

Mike, thanks for your kind thoughts and generous comments, I'm pretty sure you're giving me more accolades than I deserve. I have followed your project and have been impressed with your beautiful car and your tenacity for improving it's performance! Love the old photos you've posted.

P.S. I purchased the trans from John Cope and was very happy with the trans and his customer service, thanks again Brian.

Auto Transport Service
Back