• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2013 Dodge Dart (thinking about buying)

747mopar

Local time
9:42 PM
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you have a new Dart. My wife is sick of all our gas guzzlers and wanted me to start looking for a eco car, me being a Mopar fan I started looking at the Darts. I looked at some others but the turbo version of the Dart gets nearly 40 mpg. There's already some used ones out there that can be had for under well under 20,000. I don't know, I said I'd never buy another new car but if I can get one for 15,000 I just might. I like buying wrecks but it would be hard to buy, repair and do all the work for much under that now days.

Havent even had to do an oil change on one yet. There was one in the shop for an electrical issue a while back but i wasnt the one working on it so i dont know what the deal was. One interesting point about the engine is it has intake valves that are hydraulically actuated as opposed to cam actuated. This allows for variable cam timing and lift. Under certain conditions the intake valves can open, close and then open again on the same stroke. The actuator assembly is hyper sensative to oil and lack of maintenance or wrong weight oil will give you problems. Havent seen any issues yet, but they are still young. Same motor in the fiat 500, maybe search out any problems they might be having.

Read either on yellow bullet or moparts about tranmission isues with them.Do some research.

Its a new car model, and, one of my MOPAR mechanic friends says he's seeing some in for recall issues, not a biggie per se, all have teething problems. Not much profit for manufacturer in small cars. I'd like to see the Dart do well, and sell a crap load!

If there are already like new, low mileage ones to be had used, to me, that's a big red flag.

Yup my dad was thinking about getting one to save money on his hour commute each way to Philly but he decided to let someone else go through the issues attached to a new car model. But he hasn't heard anything bad about them at the dealership.

Good friend of mine has one. I drove it this weekend and has 5k miles on in it. Nice car. Drices and rides nice and decent power. he has had no issues.

I went into motoralldata this mornin and there are already 15 TSBs on them. To me, that's a lot for a new model, but only time will tell.

I went into motoralldata this mornin and there are already 15 TSBs on them. To me, that's a lot for a new model, but only time will tell.
I don't know. 15 isnt so bad on a new model. Its when they build the same model for 5 years and they still cant get it right. That irks me. They have these new fangled electric door handles that will unlock the door when you touch them so long as you have the key in your pocket. How long have cars had door handles? Well these things go bad 2 at a time. And then the brand new ones straight out of the box are bad. WTF! Had a srt challenger drive me insane one day. A month later they issued a recall on them.

I had done a little research on those for my daughter....The one thing that kept coming up over and over was cold weather starting was apparently an issue. Living in Ohio...ANYWHERE in Ohio, I would make damn sure that problem has been resolved before buying one.

I had done a little research on those for my daughter....The one thing that kept coming up over and over was cold weather starting was apparently an issue. Living in Ohio...ANYWHERE in Ohio, I would make damn sure that problem has been resolved before buying one.

Yeah, if they have been sitting for a while or i guess if its really cold, it takes oil pressure to open the valves. If the brick bleeds down from sitting or its super cold, it may take some cranking.

Don't do it. Buying a car that's a new model, especially one that has come out of a new corporate merger is asking for huge amounts of trouble down the road. If you have to buy one, wait a year or two until they've worked out the bugs.

If you want to buy American, Consumer Reports lists the '09 Pontiac Vibe as one of the best used cars on the market.

What about a Dodge Avenger? Recently, I was at my local dealer to pick up a part for my Durango, and was looking at the Darts in the showroom. So a salesman comes up to me and we start talking. Anyhow, here a new Dart starts at 16g. They had a deal for Avengers @ 14500 + for 500 bucks you could add the "Blacktop" package which included 18" black alloys and a deck spoiler. Slightly bigger, slightly worse fuel economy, but a thousand bucks cheaper. A thousand bucks buys a good dose of gasoline. Probably take you 10yrs to make up the difference. Also the Avenger is a design that's been around for a while.

Gee, I started a thread about this car too!
I test drove it again yesterday afternoon.
Nice car!

I drove a used Dart 6 speed manual turbo today, I was neither impressed or disappointed. It drove nice and felt like an eco turd until you got into the turbo then it was a little impressive, overall not bad. I totally get what your saying satman, while I was there I looked at the 200's and they where actually cheaper with the rebates. When it comes to the new cars I'm Chrysler all the way, I love the 300's, our Aspen (5.7 gas guzzler), 200's, they are just really nice cars. My brother has a 300 and so does his father inlaw, really nice. It's my wifes call but I've never liked small cars, if it where up to me I'd buy the 200. I would much rather buy a totaled 200 if I could find one but totals are getting pricey as well. Right now we are spending around 600.00 a month on gas "that's ridiculous" I think a Dart would probably pay for itself. I can't accurately figure the savings because where I live there isn't much flat ground around hear and the mileage estimates are always way off because of the hills (our Aspen gets around 14-15 mpg, when we go to the outer banks it will get as high as 17 mpg if that gives you a clue). I get what your saying Pabster but when looking for mileage it's hard to beat not to mention the fact that I won't own a foreign vehicle and haven't liked anything Gov Motors has made for years (probably 1967) and Ford Focus's are ugly as hell, although the fact they didn't steal from me almost makes me want to buy one. We'll see but 600.00 a month has to change.

Avenger surely should have the bugs wrked out by now.

IIRC the claim is 34 MPG.

... and it's "last year's model" usually at steep discounts.

...but it's not as "cool" as the Dart.

I actually like the new Avenger facelift.

I like the Dart, too, but I don't fit in them.

...and the vibe is a rebadged toyota matrix.

If buit in America- money goes to American worker, but Japanese corporation. Which gets more?

I like the new Dart just not a fan of FWD. Very nice and comfy interiors, also i'm 6'3'' and fit in them no problem. We've sold a few of them at our dealership and haven't had any return for issues yet. We had to do recalls on some of them before they sold but it was just a matter of flashing the pcm with updated software. Oil changes are more costly though because they require synthetic.

Also, for a 4 banger they sound pretty good! both the turbo and non turbo versions have a decent throaty sound to them

A note from 71 badbird

:eek:ccasion14:I have one and so far I really happy with it ! I had read all the bad things that people say about things that they have no clue about . I got the 2.0 motor and 6 speed auto. ,it orange with sxt pact , I'm having a lot fun with it , no way it gets lost in park lots . The car is nice I would tell you to go for it . I got mine for 17,500 . I hope this helps !

A close friend of mine got the first one around this area. Don't believe the fuel mileage claims, especially if you like A/C in the summer. His mileage was 32-33 in the summer running the air and that was highway driving to work and back, mostly rural 45 minute drive each way.

Auto Transport Service
Back