• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 build questions..

ryan

Local time
2:37 PM
Reaction score
I am new to the whole rebuilding motors part of things and just have a few questions on the 440 engine that I want to build.
First off what is the best set up that I could run without breaking the bank to get the most horsepower and torque out of the engine.

I am hoping to have a really nice lope to the engine and I am going to overhaul the entire engine (new pistons, cam, ect.)
Just looking to get some info on this before I buy anything and not knowing much about the lift and duration of cams and all that yet I am not real sure what all the numbers mean and what would be good for a nice lope.

if you plan on rebuilding the engine why not stroke it? 440 source has kits avail at pretty decent price's. but what we need to know is what do you expect out of your motor? how will you be using it? drag, street or cruise? all very important to a build plan. also what type of trans? auto or stick? you say you want a big cam, are you prepared to buy a high stall conv(if it is an automatic). also what gears do you have in the car now?

well at the moment I only have the engine I still need to find a transmission and even a vehicle to put it in and it will be more of a driving car but will see the drag strip from time to time and as far as the gears right now i don't have a car so that can all be done after i get the engine done.

I'm not a big advocate of stroking and already raised deck engine myself..... The factory kinda did the stroking for you....
Here's my Standard stroke 440:
Stock forged crank.
SCAT H-Beam rods with ARP fasteners.
Bored .030".
Forged Aluminum .140" Domed L2295F Pistons.
Hastings File Fit Racing Piston Rings.
All balanced lower assy."ARP studs"
Stud mains with steel stud Girdle.
Clevite race bearings.
Fel-Pro .040" head gaskets.
Mellings HV oil Pump.
440 Victor PC Aluminum Heads. "ARP bolts"
Mopar Performance .590" solid camshaft with 1.6 ratio roller rockers netting .630" lift at the valves "- lash".
Edelbrock Victor intake manifold.
Holley 850 DP Carb. "Too small"
Electric drive water pump.
2" primary headers, 3.5" collectors.
It's in my 67 Sattelite with a 727 trans and Coan torque converter. 4.11 gears and 27" Hoosier QuickTime Pros.
Car runs 10's in 1/4 mile. Still finishing up some repairs from a recent transmission failure. Should be back in action this weekend.... I hope!!!

67 b body, why file fit rings? He obviously doesn't have the knowledge of that task.I do like your set up however

I am new to the whole rebuilding motors part of things and just have a few questions on the 440 engine that I want to build.
First off what is the best set up that I could run without breaking the bank to get the most horsepower and torque out of the engine.

I am hoping to have a really nice lope to the engine and I am going to overhaul the entire engine (new pistons, cam, ect.)
Just looking to get some info on this before I buy anything and not knowing much about the lift and duration of cams and all that yet I am not real sure what all the numbers mean and what would be good for a nice lope.
In a nutshell: I recommend getting the compression up close to 10 to 1 ratio. A Mopar Performance 284/484 is a great sounding and performing camshaft. This is a very streetable combination because this cam will bleed off a little compression if there are any detonation worries.

Last edited:
67 b body, why file fit rings? He obviously doesn't have the knowledge of that task.I do like your set up however

Just showing what I used.... Mine gets driven on the street with this setup, and runs smooth down the highway! When you hit the gas,,, HANG ON!!!!!
I like file fit rings, because pre-fit jobbies should still get measured for ring gap.... If I'm doing that, then I might as well set them to my liking. :jerk:

Auto Transport Service
Back