• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 Belvedere 318 poly granny cruiser (one day i hope)

K... some warm weather (60 in michigan in mid feb? no no... everything is fine...) got my *** wanting to start working again.. Got my tires/rims mounted i'm gonna need to move the front of my springs in, gonna do it how DWV does and move the front hanger right against the frame rail that SHOULD get me bout 3/8" between the spring and tire.. Also just ordered caltracs and need to get some perches... so.... soon...

I think i can lower the car bout 1" hoping a little more, really don't want a 70s stance but i need the big diameter tires for now.. (i really should have changed gears to like 3.55 BUT.. i mean... 4.57 makes people smile) :)

P.S. need to clean my garage also.. getting bad.
295/65/15 et streets

2024-02-21 17.11.24.jpg

K, finally got off my ***, moved the springs in bout 3/4 inch so the new tires will fit, they barely clear but they do clear :) i'm tired and sore.. I wanna lower it bout 1" still though

Not sure if i like it or not... next job is to get the motor fired up and fix leaks (expecting trans leaks)
1709511786455.jpeg

1709511798981.jpeg

1709511812298.jpeg

I 'lowered' my 62 by installing the 2 bolt hole front spring mounts and mounting the spring in the upper hole.
Not sure if that is an option with the springs moved.

I 'lowered' my 62 by installing the 2 bolt hole front spring mounts and mounting the spring in the upper hole.
Not sure if that is an option with the springs moved.
I actually used those mounts when i moved the springs and also moved them up about 3/8 of a inch higher than the stock holes.. I'm gonna wait and see how clearance is after i drive it a bit then add 1" lower blocks if i think i need to, i just dont wan't a stinkbug stance

Me? I would have gotten that 318 running and would have been driving it the last few years... but the car looks nice

Me? I would have gotten that 318 running and would have been driving it the last few years... but the car looks nice

That was the plan.... the poly was WAY too screwed, sludged beyond belief then sat for 40+ years it was like cement. I'm not doing anything to it i can't reverse... swap the pumpkin/rims and have a cruiser:)

A bit more done... can't get the damn hardline from the pump to the carb to stop leaking (i need to practice making flares) but... got it running.. only has bout 1 min of run time so far but enough to test the trans which works :) haven't set timing or carb or anything but will get to it. O
Ordered a manual steering box from PST.. have to pull the carpet back out to make some seat belt mounting points (shoulda though of that first)

Got some fuel on the paint in the engine compartment and the **** crinkled up instantly... really pissed bout that, i thought single stage urethane would be stronger than that.. although i suspect it's just **** paint but it matches the factory.. i have another quart i was gonna paint the new fenders with but now i am not sure what to do :( I miss single state enamel.. super easy to paint and tough as nails...

Have a picture of the flaring tool and one of the leaking flare with the nut pulled away so you can see the flare in the tube? Also, look at the fitting the flare unit threads into. There may be an indention which will give you a leak too.

Have a picture of the flaring tool and one of the leaking flare with the nut pulled away so you can see the flare in the tube? Also, look at the fitting the flare unit threads into. There may be an indention which will give you a leak too.
No picture but it was a single flare, i'm going to practice double flares on scrap this weekend, i got the cheap tool so i couldn't get it to even start to do the starting flare.. it might be the pump it's a cheap new one. I have the old *** carter style bolt together that was on the car from the 70s and it still works but i don't want to trust a 60 year old diaphragm :) I'm just annoyed.. will figure it out and buy a new flare tool if i have to, didn't wanna spend $100 to do 1 flare :) But i am spending that much in wasted tubing now..

Oh.. i can't see the inner cone on the fuel pump cause of fram and all that in the way.. will check it with my bore scope later.. didn't think of that last night :)

Fuel stuff is double flare. Same degree of flare angle but different critters. The cheap flare tools can leave a pooched out portion on the outside of the tube, 180* opposite of each other, which is from the jaws of the tool where the two halves meet. The flaring process forces the tube into that area along with the other areas. If you have that pooched out area happening, the flare will never seal into the opposite end as the flare nut is riding on it. Take a small single cut file to those areas and remove them. You should be good after that.

Fuel stuff is double flare. Same degree of flare angle but different critters. The cheap flare tools can leave a pooched out portion on the outside of the tube, 180* opposite of each other, which is from the jaws of the tool where the two halves meet. The flaring process forces the tube into that area along with the other areas. If you have that pooched out area happening, the flare will never seal into the opposite end as the flare nut is riding on it. Take a small single cut file to those areas and remove them. You should be good after that.
It's funny but in all these years i never had to flare anything, it's a learning curve like anything else.. I could get pre-bent but didn't see one with the filter where i want it. No big thing.. i just hate random fire juice flying around :)

P.S. last night after i did my second attempt i fingered on the flare nut and then hooked up the carb and fired it up... sprayed fuel and i was ready to yank the pump then realized i forgot to tighten it.. 100% guarantee to leak :)

I had a. Sears flaring tool (not even a craftsman) , one out of three flares I made would leak.
Bought a Snap-on blue point tool..... never another leaking double flare, not one.

I had a. Sears flaring tool (not even a craftsman) , one out of three flares I made would leak.
Bought a Snap-on blue point tool..... never another leaking double flare, not one.
Yeah.. i was told to get the eastman imperial kit.. might do that still. I'm sick of spending money :)

Auto Transport Service
Back