• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Charger. 426 5-speed

INTMD8

Local time
2:37 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I've been spending some more time on this forum so thought I would post up my project and progress as I go along.

I bought this a couple of months ago with most of the hard work done. All that's left is some wiring and the interior.

It's an RT/SE (so I'm told) Fender tag is missing but I also got the original matching 440 engine with the car.

It's now a 426, TKO 600 and Dana 60.

Appears to be a crate hemi with a bit bigger cam (I have no specs on it).

I'm going to switch the single carb to either dual carbs or fuel injection. Already picked up a chrome dome air cleaner.

I was going to go with an original interior but couldn't find any seat belt options I liked. The original fixed shoulder belts are inconvenient (to me) and the 3 point retractable have then 2 belts hanging from the roof so didn't like the look.

Decided to get some 2013 Chrysler 200 convertible seats. They are front/back/up/down power, flip forward feature and built in seat belts.

Going to have them covered in original upholstery style/material and add 69 headrests.

It has front wilwood disc brakes and also rear disc brakes though I'm not sure what from (looks oem from something).

At this point I'm working mostly on the interior. Pulled the dash to re-paint with the proper suede lacquer along with rebuilding the steering column.

Sent the wood wheel out to Mike Tarkington for a resto so looking forward to getting that back as well.

:)

sU09Ha.jpg

MohSj2.jpg

UuiVLz.jpg

yWA6vF.jpg

DkzELu.jpg

lod1k4.jpg

NyLHBt.jpg

Qbx1qS.jpg

rxGqVx.jpg

7k1YfX.jpg

Sweet. Elaborate on the seats. Inertia, built in belts, fit etc.

Still making hp at 6k. What cam are you using?

Thanks guys! Not sure on the cam. All I was told is the engine was rebuilt/dyno tested and it had a larger hyd flat tappet than what it came with.

Dennis H. The seat belts have pre-tensioners so my plan was to order "roadster" belts from Wesco in blue.

Air bag removed.

Still working on making an outer bracket. I have it located by the inside front bolt hole in the floor against one bolt position back on the inner rail of the seat.

Using ford 9" axle retainer t-bolts for mounting as it originally had big brackets riveted to the bottom of the rails.

Also going to bolt a piece of 1" square stock connecting the rearmost bolt positions on the seat rails and anchor that square stock through the subframe connector.

Everything seems to fit nice so far. I considered swapping left for right seats so the belts were on the inside instead of the outside but the seat elevator drops down below the rail and that would interfere with the hump in the floor.

7Ltre9.jpg

zr5Sxg.jpg

UayNXD.jpg

CwhmGM.jpg

Qdvzq7.jpg

rSJMLp.jpg

4QQxXC.jpg

w2AeTl.jpg

9JfnEA.jpg

hJ4Ju2.jpg

GWNsvO.jpg

BQZAIA.jpg

e1Y4fw.jpg

NmdOKI.jpg

Nice ride, like the colour!

Also like your worshop
Never crossed my mind to use modern car seats to adapt and install in the car.
Instead i will go for stock bucket seats, but now makes me wonder about my choice

I'll have more details to post about the seat brackets/mounting soon. Almost finished up.

Until then a little before/after photo of the vin tag

nXp9qh.jpg

yndfRj.jpg

Brilliant job!! did you restore the vin tag or you made a new one?
By the way, could you give me the reference of this part located in the engine bay?

sU09Ha_LI.jpg

I was planniung to made a custom one for my 70´Charger, like the one in the picture below, but yours look really good.

117693_Engine_Web.jpg

Not a job deserving of that compliment but thank you, just restored the original tag.

Stripped with paint stripper, scuffed with fine 3m pad, etching primer, satin black paint, chrysler transfer from ECS.

As for the part you have circled, I believe it is just an original piece. Actually I don't know the proper name for it.

Great looking car. Great looking work. Cool cool shop. The seat work has got me wanting to go to Pull a Part today. Lol.

That upper latch tray is part of the grille frame assembly for 68-69 Chargers. It won't fit on a 70 at all.

151-2668_800.jpg

Is there any part (original or custom) made for the 1970 model? Or should I make one by myself?

I would have to say that Dean Wormer (below) sums up the odds that someone is manufacturing and marketing something custom like that.

Thanks guys!

Ok, I finally have all the fab work done on the seats. Doesn't look like much but took me a long time.

Modified and added brackets for the Headrest hardware.

Bent up a 14ga sheetmetal bracket for the outside bracket on each seat.

Drilled new holes in the rearmost position of the lower sliders (that mount to the car).

Connected these with 1" heavy wall square tube.

I then drilled through the subframe connectors and through the square tube and will bolt together with 3/8 button head allen. Thought this was necessary due to the potential force on the floor with a persons weight against the seat belt in a worst case scenario.

cmXKgg.jpg

View attachment 581487
View attachment 581488
d01og1.jpg

nL5sDT.jpg

Q2xFL1.jpg

gpviuA.jpg

xnOuwd.jpg

MM3rfi.jpg

2lYhu5.jpg

Gi1pgD.jpg

fHJFVR.jpg