• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 super bee 440, 6 pack, High idle problem

So I'll just share my experience that I had with the same problem - 'idle creep'. I pretty much did everything said so far in the above posts and also checked my mech. advance in the distributor to make sure the light spring was strong enough to bring the advance cams back all the way, which they were. Well I pulled the carbs and noticed when I moved the throttle blades on the rear carb that the blades would not return to the same spot every time (just slightly off). I wound up loosening the throttle blade screws and re-centering the throttle blades and that fixed it for me. It was only a hair off but enough to sometimes hang up and increase the idle. So if it's not your choke you may want to look at this too.

Does anyone have have a detail of all vacuum line as where they go for the 440 6 pack Or know who can provide one?

Click on photo to enlarge,not hard to figure out !

Picture 226.jpg

I'm still trying to find the time. Sorry man.
My life doesn't always suck this bad.

Just a update on high idle issue
sprayed some cast blast (see photo)
Bent metal up very very little (see photo)
Plastic piece was sticking while moving by hand.
I adjusted the thermostat spring so that the center carburetor butterfly remains open all the time.

QUESTION Also I have two center carburetor vacuum ports.
where does the top vacuum port go?
Where does the bottom vacuum port go to?

Thanks the help in advance

View attachment 766034

B0A581AE-F6C1-4562-AA48-D6BAE29C7F14.jpeg

Last edited:
Just a update on high idle issue
sprayed some cast blast (see photo)
Bent metal up very very little (see photo)
Plastic piece was sticking while moving by hand.
I adjusted the thermostat spring so that the center carburetor butterfly remains open all the time.

QUESTION Also I have two center carburetor vacuum ports.
where does the top vacuum port go?
Where does the bottom vacuum port go to?

Thanks the help in advance

View attachment 766034

View attachment 766035

Top to distributor,bottom to choke pull. Having choke open all the time may cause you start issue depending on temperature.

Do you have a picture of your entire vacuum side set up?

Hard to see where the bottom hose on the center carb is going but looks correct other than that to me.

It is hard to tell from the photo. You may have the two on the center reversed.
The three carbs are connected with the vacuum hose with the plastic tee. I think it should be on top. I will need to look at mine again this evening. I am at work now.
Just remember when you are monkeying with this if you start the engine keep your hand on the key and be ready to shut it down if it even suggest reving over idle. If the vacuum hose is on the wrong port it will pull the outboards full open.

I will take a close up picture of mine and get it to you.

If the vacuum hose is on the wrong port it will pull the outboards full open.
Not with the center carb closed. The slot mechanism on the center carb would mechanically block the outboard carbs from opening.
BUT don't take my word for it. JMO.

Don't see why this is so hard,you have five connections,choke pull to center carb base,metering block to distributor and the other three all to nipples on the each carb main body !

Here is my super bee 440 6 pack set up
Do I have the vacuum lines correct?
Where does the line from vacuum port top middle carburetor go to?

4B8B394F-9EAD-4658-9285-4B21B4C2CBEB.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back