• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 super bee 440, 6 pack, High idle problem

Jimclo2002
I hope you don't mind me asking questions and adding to the thread along the way. I have added some of my experiences to try to help you as well.

My choke plate opens most of the way once the engine warms up, but it still has about 1/4" or less distance to be fully opened. I can easily, with no resistance, open the choke plate the rest of the way, it just doesn't do that on its own.
What can I adjust to help open the choke plate the rest of the way? Is it the thermostat spring rod? The vacuum diaphragm little short, bent rod? Both?
Thanks.:popcorn:

What can I adjust to help open the choke plate the rest of the way? Is it the thermostat spring rod? The vacuum diaphragm little short, bent rod? Both?
Careful with that, you appear to be describing the choke pull-off. As mentioned, any changes made to the choke pull-off, or it’s link adjustment, to address a warm running issue will have adverse effects at cold start-up/running.

My heat riser is removed and my crossover is blocked and I have no issues with choke working properly. Just an FYI.

My heat riser is removed and my crossover is blocked and I have no issues with choke working properly. Just an FYI.
For this discussion of the six-pack divorced choke specifically, if your running with blocked off crossovers (cold intake) and your choke is fully open at operating temperature then the choke spring has been detuned or is otherwise out of its original specs for spring tension vs temperature. In that state there will not sufficient spring tension for correct cold start/running as originally designed. A newer six-pack divorced choke or an older one still set at its original specs, will not be fully relaxed without crossover heat or additional heat provided electrically. The choke system was designed to have crossover heat, without the heat, the choke will not function as originally designed.

I figured my aluminum intake would pick up the heat easier, but not "store" it like cast iron.

For this discussion of the six-pack divorced choke specifically, if your running with blocked off crossovers (cold intake) and your choke is fully open at operating temperature then the choke spring has been detuned or is otherwise out of its original specs for spring tension vs temperature. In that state there will not sufficient spring tension for correct cold start/running as originally designed. A newer six-pack divorced choke or an older one still set at its original specs, will not be fully relaxed without crossover heat or additional heat provided electrically. The choke system was designed to have crossover heat, without the heat, the choke will not function as originally designed.
50 year old choke coil spring, you bet it's detuned! And yes I did adjust to suit my application. Thanks for your input.

I do have my exhaust heat riser welded to open position
Hi Jim
I’m looking for a pair of headlight blackouts for my 70 coronet.
I was wondering if you found yours.
Wanted to know if you had a source.
Much appreciate it.

Auto Transport Service
Back