• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are RV 440 any good

Bb70charger500

Local time
9:55 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys as most saw I scored a 69 charger yesterday I'm looking for a motor I have two RV 440s aval both worthless then 50000 on them ones a 76 ones a 77 basiclly same money too.
Can I get a decent motor out of this? I hear there forged cranks but only 250 hp and like 360 torq
How can I get numbers up on these obviously intake car and exhaust will do wonders are the heads useless ? Can I just stuff a big cam in it?
I have a a833 here and I have a t56 (6speed) here .
But not much else
Car has 8 3/4 in it not sure gears yet or even if it's a sure grip
I don't need a ground pounder but needs to be a respectable motor

Yes they can make a respectable engine. Get a better intake, carb, maybe headers, and a cam fit for a low compression engine. You can get decent performance out of it without spending a ton of money. I"m guessing you can get around possibly 350hp with that setup.

That 250 HP number is NET HP. They changed the way power is measured in 72. Before that HP was measured as GROSS HP. That 440 TNT that was rated at 350 HP in 1970 would have been rated less than 300 NET in 1970. Same engine just different ways to rate the power.
That 440 RV engine can make some good numbers with inexpensive mods.
After all, it is a detuned engine. They took out the good stuff. With heads, intake, carb and exhaust it will be peppy. The RV cam is set up for torque instead of HP. With a modern RV grind that engine would pull a Charger around really well and be responsive all while burning low octane swill.

Think of them in a stripped down shortblock aspect.. difference between that and a 69 magnum motor is .100 deckheight .
Put the same topend on it and it's the same motor, minus a few hp.
I've personally ran 12.10s with the "mo-home" style bottom end in full body stock 64 polara. Even cranked both wheels up at the start line :thumbsup:

Hughes has a whiplash cam build on video with a low compression 440. It made good numbers. I dont know if it was a motor home engine or just a low compression mid 70s 440.

A late 440 is just fine. If you want power you need new pistons, cam and a little work on the heads. IIRC the motor home motor's came in several versions which had a variety of components that may need to be replaced depending on you r application.

Most any 440 will get you that with a moderate cam. Proper intake/carb & a nice exhaust will complete the package.

That mo-home engine has about 8 1/2 compression which is happy with today's fuels. A friend has a '62 Max Wedge clone that has a stock mo-home 440 short block with '62 Max Wedge top end on it. With a 4-speed and 4.10 gears, it smoked the rear tires half way through third gear. Pull the the valve covers and take the one with "452" heads.

If these engines have a cast crank, they are fine. My car has a cast crank, been in my car 20 years. Went 12.12@ 110.

Nice! Stick in in a corner and focus on the body.

Nice thing about the low compression engine is, it will run fine on cheaper 87 octane fuel.

Auto Transport Service
Back