• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery relocation questions

Chris

Local time
10:09 AM
Reaction score
I am relocating the battery to the trunk and need some advice.

I assume I need an NHRA approved box, but Moroso boxes do not claim to be so.. Is this true? I have also seen the Taylor boxes..

Battery cables...What gauge is necessary, and what is best.

On/off switches...I have read they are necessary but is there something I should know.

Any other info is helpful..

Summit sales a whole kit minus the switch...Don,t buy a cheap switch,spend the few extra bucks and get a good one...I have my battery in the trunk ..It was a all out drag car at one time...So the track official said I have to have the switch...I still run mufflers and street tires...My car is also a street machine...When you put in the switch,if you still run the alternator the car will not shut off..It,ll run on the alternator...I just unplug the alternator at tech,so when he hits the switch it kills the motor...Then i just hook it back up...
Petty Blue 67 GTX

Any car with a relocated battery must be equipped with a master electrical cutoff, capable of stopping all electrical functions including ignition (must shut the engine off, as well as fuel pumps, etc.). Some track techs check to make sure these switches function properly. The switch must be located on the rear of the vehicle, with the off position clearly marked. If the switch is of a push/pull type, then push must be the motion that shuts off the switch, and plastic or keyed typed switches aren't allowed. Also, the battery must be completely sealed from the driver and/or driver compartment. This means a metal bulkhead must separate the trunk from the driver compartment, or the battery must be located in a sealed, metal box constructed of minimum .024 inch steel or .032 inch aluminum, or in an NHRA accepted plastic box. In cars with a conventional trunk, metal can simply be installed behind the rear seat and under the tray to seal the battery off from the driver. I thought Moroso makes a sealed plastic box...thought I saw it in JEGS. Hope this helps ya!

thanks guys for all the info. I'm onto battery installation. I'll post a few pics when it is up...

Don't forget the 3/8 bolts through the trunk floor. These will be attached to the strap across the battery top. I have my battery in a box. The lid is strapped down but it I didn't have the bolts/battery strap. The NHRA tech at Joilet informed me I needed them. Checked the rule book and sure enough it was in there.

As for the Alt. wire. Disconnect the power wire from the alt to the bulk head connector. Toss that wire. Run at least an 8 ga. red wire from the Alt pos(+) to the master cut off switch OFF side. This wil pass NHRA tech and will cut the car off.

I like welders cable for my battery up to the starter.
If you dont have a metal divider from the trunk to the back set you'll need a battery box.
3/8 bolts through the trunk floor.
Heres a pic of my cars.

Attachments

• pinks.etown mopar day .65 dodge.65 hemi belvedere 030.JPG
    pinks.etown mopar day .65 dodge.65 hemi belvedere 030.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 428
  • 63 PLYMOUTH 65 DODGE A990 68 HEMI ROADRUNNER 014.JPG
    63 PLYMOUTH 65 DODGE A990 68 HEMI ROADRUNNER 014.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 449
Don't forget the 3/8 bolts through the trunk floor. These will be attached to the strap across the battery top. I have my battery in a box. The lid is strapped down but it I didn't have the bolts/battery strap. The NHRA tech at Joilet informed me I needed them. Checked the rule book and sure enough it was in there.

As for the Alt. wire. Disconnect the power wire from the alt to the bulk head connector. Toss that wire. Run at least an 8 ga. red wire from the Alt pos(+) to the master cut off switch OFF side. This wil pass NHRA tech and will cut the car off.

To be sure , the off side is the battery side ? (batt to switch not switch to starter, etc.)

Never mind, batt side it is. Thanks

Last edited:
I'll show you mine if you show me yours!!!LOL

Attachments

• april3011 021.jpg
    april3011 021.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 405
  • april3011 022.jpg
    april3011 022.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 366
Do the techs kick you out if you show up with a S/S Dodge and dont have a main batt disconnect switch? These cars came factory without them, and the Batt was stock in the trunk right???

Do the techs kick you out if you show up with a S/S Dodge and dont have a main batt disconnect switch? These cars came factory without them, and the Batt was stock in the trunk right???

battery needs to be vented with the rubber vent tubes exiting out of the car, so there are no fumes. just like the original cars had.

65 hemi cars did not have the vent tubes though so thats a good question.

battery needs to be vented with the rubber vent tubes exiting out of the car, so there are no fumes. just like the original cars had.

65 hemi cars did not have the vent tubes though so thats a good question.

I can understand pairing up the vent tubes and running down through one of the trunk floor plugs. But I am not drilling a hole through the rear of my car for a disconnect switch or extension rod, just to run down the strip! No way,,, No how!

If you run in the street class and turn more than 11.5 in the 1/4, du you even need the cut off switch ?

If the battery is moved to the trunk per NHRA rules you must have a master cut off switch. Most of the S/S cars will have the M/C switch below the bumper so they don't have to put holes into car.

Mines bigger !! LOL !!

Attachments

• 6-29-11 001.jpg
    6-29-11 001.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 330
  • 6-29-11 002.jpg
    6-29-11 002.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 315
  • 6-29-11 003.jpg
    6-29-11 003.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 353
Auto Transport Service