• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery Relocation Start Problem

Sounds like the neutral saftey wire is not connected to the original starter relay. I ran mine like cunnra bird and knocked off the terminal to the neutral saftey and had a similar problem. Hope that helps.

Glenwood, I have never seen a 4 speed with the neutral switch. I have a 4 speed and it doesn't have one

Make life easy run a 10 or 12 gauge wire from the relay terminal that goes to starter solenoid and run that to the ford solenoid in the trunk so they both pull in at the same time

cables

I ran both wires from the trunk . one to the bell housing bolt on the pass side [neg] and the other to the starter . Both are #2 welding cable they work great ...

Make a jumper wire out of 12 or 14ga, should be fine. The OEM wire to the small post on starter isn't larger than 12ga IIRC.

Instead of using a wire for the jumper on the starter I made a flat copper spade and drilled the holes so it would slide on first and then just bolted it down, no big messy wire needed. hope this helps.

Bruce

Guys, I want to thank all for the help that was given to me with this project. While seemingly easy and straight forward, I have now run into more problems making this a major "I should have never done it" project.. the simple problem...the starter relay is pulling in, but is not sending power to rear solenoid or starter. Simple enough..replace relay. The current relay is for an automatic and this car is a 4 speed. So, RT K_line wasn't off with the neutral safety switch concern. No matter, easy fix. The real problem is in the starter itself. The 5/16" terminal is stripped and I cannot secure the jumper wire on the starter. So the starter has to to be replaced. The problem is that the car has headers and the starter will not come out without removal of that header. My questions at this point are: Can anyone suggest a light weight high torque starter that will wire up the same with no alteration to the starter cable? And, is it possible to move the header away enough to get the starter out? It looks extremely tight. The car is a 65 Belvedere with a 440. I lean on you guys once again...thank you,
Scott

I get junkyard ministarters off V6 and V8 mopars all the time. Work great. Cleaning optional.... :)

Can you get a thread chaser on that stripped stud? Might be a challenge with headers.

I get junkyard ministarters off V6 and V8 mopars all the time. Work great. Cleaning optional.... :)

Can you get a thread chaser on that stripped stud? Might be a challenge with headers.[/QUOTE]

Great thought, but highly unlikely with the headers. It's very difficult just to get to either of the starter studs. The biggest concern is the header removal, now...I just don't know that I can get it out.

Great thought, but highly unlikely with the headers. It's very difficult just to get to either of the starter studs. The biggest concern is the header removal, now...I just don't know that I can get it out.

Yeah it's a pain. You have to loosen up the motor mounts and jack the motor up a couple of inches...

Auto Transport Service
Back