• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Paints

KylesRoadrunner

Local time
11:53 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys, after 9 years of owning my 69 Roadrunner, I'm finally going to paint it this spring. The car is black with black steel wheels as well as black interior and vinyl top. I would like to keep it the same color.

I talked to a painter a few years ago and he said there is one black paint that stands out among the rest. I think he said it was by PPG. He said it is expensive but he said it really catches people's eye and is a deeper black than any other. I'm wondering if anyone here might know which color he was talking about or if you can suggest another paint?

Thanks.

PPG DBC9700 BC/CC.
This may be old info, but if you stick with a black that has Blu or Violet in the mixture,
It will be the Blackest of the mixtures. If it has any brown, it'll be softer.

I used PPG DCC concept single stage acrylic urethane on my boat. It was the “blue” black. I want to say the number was 9300.

Last edited:
I used Tamco jet black single stage on my trail duster. It’s a blue violet mixture. Very black and glossy. It’s been in there 3 years and get driven almost daily and isn’t babied and it’s held up very well.

98FADCE3-3DB5-417D-99F8-D4A32B72E2D1.jpeg

I wanted some black black, no shades of dark gray, brown blue or anything. My paint guy gave me a quart of black mixing base with nothing else added, and it is BLACK.

Somebody has a gallon on Flea-Bay right now!

I wanted some black black, no shades of dark gray, brown blue or anything. My paint guy gave me a quart of black mixing base with nothing else added, and it is BLACK.

This is a textbook case of why "black paint matters".

Auto Transport Service
Back