• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CNG vehicles

scotts74birds

Local time
4:03 AM
Reaction score
Ok, the volt thread got long, very fast. So I'm going to change this up. Ten years ago, I was in Australia, and ALL the taxis were CNG powered. So were many other vehicles.
So, with this CNG bounty that we have from the new "fracking" process, we are still not onto CNG vehicles?
I hear the Big Three will be making some CNG introductions this month.
What do you know, or think about CNG?

Cng

I think it's a great alternative. Our local utility company has trucks that run on CNG for the last 10 years. The engines don't have to be heavily modified in order to run. There is a way I think that your gas meter can be modified so you can refill your car right in your driveway.

I've seen a few CNG Gen II Dakotas listed for sale locally.

I almost bought stock in T Boone Pickens' company during the last election.
Should have, it's doubled.

Compressed Natural Gas is abundant in the U.S., how about converting all Govt. Vehicles, police, fire dept., buses, ferries, federal, state, city & county fleets, planes {I'm not sure planes can run on CNG, sound logical though}, boats, trains, military {not sure how well that would work}, or any other govt. operated vehicles, to it save the Gasoline & Diesel for us regular poor folks... There's billions of gallons right there....

I've driven only Ford Crown Victorias and Police Interceptors since 1991, and there are a lot of police package cars that are CNG. They drive just as well as a gas car. The only issue is getting gas as easy as you get gasoline.

We have a couple CNG stations here. Alot of the gas/oil field trucks run on it. Our local buses and trash trucks are going to it.
Running about 2.50 gal here which is really high. Should be 1.50 or less.

Yep

I've driven only Ford Crown Victorias and Police Interceptors since 1991, and there are a lot of police package cars that are CNG. They drive just as well as a gas car. The only issue is getting gas as easy as you get gasoline.

Yep they would have to do a better distribution system, but Natural Gas pipe lines are in most all towns, all over the U.S., it sounds like it would be allot easier than a other sources to get to the public distribution...

Verizon had a CNG fleet back when they were GTE.
Don't know if they still do or not. I'm sure that's where some of the dakotas are coming from.
Every now and then you read of a refuse company implementing CNG.

Ever see the photos and/or comercials where an electric vehicle owner is happily plugging in his car at a fast food restaurant or other shop, while the shop's emplyee or owner smiles approvingly? They never bother to mention what the shop might have to charge for that privelidge, or what metering and payment equipment they might need to install.

Auto Transport Service
Back