• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Delayed Starting

JedIEG

Local time
8:42 PM
Reaction score
I am having a problem with my roadrunner not starting correctly. I turn the key to start and hold it there for a few seconds before it starts cranking. How well it cranks is intermittent between 'dead battery click' to a belabored few normal cranks, but some times I get nothing at all. Luckily my 318 starts really easily so I have been able to start the car and move it around home. Anyone have an idea what is wrong?
Here is what I have diagnosed so far:
1. It's not the starter. If I jump the relay terminals, it cranks no problem.
2. It's not the relay. I replaced with a new relay and jumped the activation terminal to 12v and it energized the magnet and cranked just over.
3. The starter relay to ignition switch wire is fine.
4. The ignition switch shows 0 ohms resistance from the 12v hot to starter relay wire in the start position.
5. If I disconnect the ballast resistor, the car cranks over instantaneously like normal.
6. I tried changing ballast resistors and the problem remains. Both resisters read 0.8 ohms as they should (msd blaster 2 coil resistor)...

I think something is grounding out the starter relay circuit in the ballast resistor circuit so I am continuing my hunt there... but does anyone have experience with what could be going wrong?

Sounds like a loose terminal at the ballast resistor, or bad connections in the bulkhead connector.

I have a Painless harness without a bulkhead so that is a non issue. Also the car cranks without issue if I have the ballast resistor disconnected so I don't think a loose terminal there is an issue.

Auto Transport Service
Back