• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diesel Shortage Update as Prices Skyrocket Over Fears Supply Could Run Out

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:37 AM
Reaction score
An acute shortage of diesel fuel in the U.S. is threatening to keep inflation and heating bills high in the country through the winter, as prices are expected to continue surging.

New government data released on Wednesday show that diesel supplies are "unacceptably low," as National Economic Council Director Brian Deese told Bloomberg TV on Wednesday. According to the Energy Information Administration, the U.S. has now 25 days left of diesel supply, its lowest level since 2008.

Deese said that "all options are on the table" to replenish U.S. supplies, which have been drained by the impact the Russian invasion of Ukraine has had on global energy supplies and imports.

trucks-filling-diesel.jpg

In this photo, semi-trucks pull into TA Travel Center to gas up in Jessup, Maryland, May 2, 2022. The U.S. is facing a diesel shortage that could increase the price of the fuel this winter if inventory isn't replenished soon.JIM WATSON/AFP VIA GETTY IMAGES
NEWSWEEK NEWSLETTER SIGN-UP >

Why Is Diesel So Expensive?​

The price of diesel in the U.S. has been surging "due to inventories at very low levels and limited ability to quickly improve supply," Patrick De Haan, GasBuddy's head of petroleum analysis oil and refined products analyst, told Newsweek.

Imports from Russia have been banned following the Russian invasion of Ukraine on February 24, contributing to the current supply crunch in which refineries' seasonal maintenance also played a big part.

While supplies of diesel started dwindling in the U.S., demand is currently at its highest point in two years. And as winter approaches, demand for diesel to heat homes is about to rise, likely causing an increase in prices.

NEWSWEEK SUBSCRIPTION OFFERS >
The immediate consequences of this shortage will be higher prices. "For now," according to De Haan.

At the moment, according to AAA data, diesel prices are some 50 percent higher than they were this time of the year in 2021, at $5.324 a gallon.

Are We Running Out Of Diesel?​

"I wouldn't say 'running out,' but with high demand as winter approaches for heating oil—virtually the same as diesel—and with one million barrels less refining capacity than we had back in 2019, we're basically doing more with less, and strong demand has chiseled away at supplies," said De Haan.

"That and refinery outages in recent weeks haven't helped, in addition to strong demand from Europe as they attempt to cut off Russian supplies."

The U.S. is set to receive at least two ships carrying a total of some 90,000 metric tons of diesel and jet fuel that have been diverted from their original destinations in Europe to the East Coast, as reported by Reuters on October 14. The diesel is arriving from the United Arab Emirates.

In response to the diesel shortage, the Biden administration has been considering limiting fuel exports to lower consumer prices. De Haan thinks that there's "not much [Biden] personally can do."

"Perhaps waiving the Jones Act, which would widen the fleet of available vessels to ship diesel from Gulf Coast refiners to the Northeast, or raise incentives for refiners to repair/restore any idle capacity," he said, "but they have plenty of incentive right now with diesel commanding high selling prices."

I'd say things are going exactly as planned...you (not you RC) get what you vote for.

Exactly ^^^
I think they want it like this...
makes people more dependent on govt.

as long as their filthy rich donors are happy
the climate extremists (Hollyweirdo's/MSM)
are all fat & happy, their puppet/mouthpiece
is speaking (lying/spinning everything) for them
they
don't experience it, not like what we all do,
not in the same way or especially budgetary wise
they are wealthy, once they get to DC
they
don't pay for ****
they forget about
the pee-ons/reg. folks, that all have to actually have a
real working 'balancing' budget,
we don't have a
govt. funded cushy expenses/their per diem accounts,
that's NOT 'given' to US every day/night,
on-top of their cushy salaries, we all pay for
it's time they get the damn message

Last edited:
Prepaid 700 gallons of oil for winter last June, for delivery as needed from Nov. 1st. Fingers crossed.

we don't have oil furnaces up/out here
we can't get natural gas also
"allegedly" too much granite to dig thru to bury it, safely
people burn wood, oak mostly,
some pine/conifers, but it not good as hardwoods
turns to ash fast, burns extremely fast/hot,
causes creosol & flu fires too
lots of deadfall of late too, the govt. cut down 'millions'
of Bark Beetle infested conifers/multiples of species of pine trees
then just left them on the ground to rott
you'd think the treehugger eco-nazis would be up in arms
over 'wasting' millions of trees

wood is cheap at the moment
tough on old farts to go get it & split it
most end up buying it, for $150 to a high of $300 a cord
many lower-income or elderly by smaller amounts,
small truck loads like 1/4 cord
less than a cord, more $/per load that way,
could be $400 a cord when said & done
oak
I don't know yet, it started at like $300 a cord
$400 split, stacked & delivered,
I suspect it will be slightly cheaper unless delivered,
you will pay dearly
that was before all the glut of (conifer) deadfall/millions of trees
from a couple of years ago, we still have a shitload on the ground

or radiant heat, that ain't any cheaper, you have to heat & circulate that water
double whammy

We/I have wood, electricity (& propane only for hot water heater)
(I can heat my 1600sqft house (newish electric furnace) to 70*
in winter for about $5-$6 a day, I like it cooler (like 67*) than 70*s
but my dad keeps turning it up :BangHead: )

Propane I suspect will skyrocket too, if all the other **** does
we only use about 120cuft a year only the water heater is on Propane now
we buy propane thru a co-op thru SIRs ,
(Seniors In Retirement club dad belongs to)
it was like $1.84 to $2.24 per/cu.ft, last fill up, in last Dec.
I know people the use 300cuft a month @ like $4+ to $5 a cu.ft :nutkick:

Last edited:
2 months later the bullshit shortage of course never happened.
Same **** happens every year, yet everyone runs down that hole, especially when the market is waning, make up a good story, and make some money on the futures market.

2 months later the bullshit shortage of course never happened.
Same **** happens every year, yet everyone runs down that hole, especially when the market is waning, make up a good story, and make some money on the futures market.
Yep that Newton was a smart fellow. It always happens, market prices go up and then come back down and fools react.

Diesel, gas, oil, and propane prices are dropping where I live. Both of my residences/states.

Tons in the ground yet in Alberta and B.C. The controllers would sooner divert billion$ to unstable, unfriendly suppliers though.
It's not the oil that's dirty.

Yep that Newton was a smart fellow. It always happens, market prices go up and then come back down and fools react.
I've been riding this fuel rollercoaster for almost 30 years. I'm about done. Couple more years of this and brainless DOT cops, and I won't care if I ever see the cab of another truck. Hate to rush the years away, but I'm really beginning to hate this job.

I've been riding this fuel rollercoaster for almost 30 years. I'm about done. Couple more years of this and brainless DOT cops, and I won't care if I ever see the cab of another truck. Hate to rush the years away, but I'm really beginning to hate this job.
I rode it for 42 years, 17 in management, 25 on the truck. There was a time when I loved the job, then I didn't. I finally got fed up with everything you mentioned. I was fortunate to be well set for retirement, and saw no point in beating myself up any longer. I miss what the industry used to be, but not what it had become when I hung it up.

I work part time now and drive a semi probably 6 times a year. That's enough for me and it's still nice to take a ride once in awhile. It's really dangerous out there now though, The guys you meet these days in the mountains aren't the best. The reason they aren't the best is because a young guy would be a fool to get into the industry for reasons mentioned.

ca5.JPG

I hear ya man, it ain't like it was when we started is it.

Fuel has been an issue in the industry since before I started in 1976. Trucking always seemed to get the short end of the stick, no matter what the current forces jerking the price around. For the most part, advances in technology haven't helped, but that's a topic for another forum.

I rode it for 42 years, 17 in management, 25 on the truck. There was a time when I loved the job, then I didn't. I finally got fed up with everything you mentioned. I was fortunate to be well set for retirement, and saw no point in beating myself up any longer. I miss what the industry used to be, but not what it had become when I hung it up.
If my health hadn't forced me out I would still be out there. I miss my customers but I'm glad I'm done. If that makes any sense.

If my health hadn't forced me out I would still be out there. I miss my customers but I'm glad I'm done. If that makes any sense.
It totally does to me. My customers were like a second family to me up until the end, which was the only reason I hung in as long as I did. I was lucky to get out with my health intact, but it was time.

I remember back in 95 fuel jumped up into the high $2 range and 2 years later i was buying it for $.78, it goes up and down.

Well, I'd say our American friends have a sweet deal on Diesel - where I live near Ottawa - Canada's capital city, our diesel averages $2.25 a LITRE - that's $9.00 a gallon - and our dollar compared to the greenback is worth 30% less. You don't want to know how much it costs to heat my home with propane. Hard to believe I even have some cash left over to throw at this car hobby of mine. A great Christmas to everyone.

Auto Transport Service
Back