• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you guys watch the Stock Muscle Car Drags?

SteveSS

Local time
5:28 PM
Reaction score
Man those Buicks are killers. Not just the Grand Nationals But the 70's GSes with the 455s. I'm not putting down the Mopars. The B Body Hemis even down to the 340s in the A body Dusters and Demons are fast too. The rare L88 Corvettes are ungodly.

Favorite drag races I like watching are old muscle cars. Back in the day never gave much thought to Buicks; but if I recall, 69 or 70 GS's Stage II were the quickest topping GTO's, Olds, Chevelles, and rides from the other Big 2.

Favorite drag races I like watching are old muscle cars. Back in the day never gave much thought to Buicks; but if I recall, 69 or 70 GS's Stage II were the quickest topping GTO's, Olds, Chevelles, and rides from the other Big 2.
My friend and engine builder, is a savant with Buick stuff. He's done many of the designs for those guys over the years. He also can make a Poncho really run.

I wish they came more to the midwest. I would love to race in the F.A.S.T. class, St.Louis is as far west as they come.
I have followed the racing for years. The stock class would be fun to.

Of course they are not really stock. I think they are allowed 11.5:1 CR, and “approved” cams.

My guess is that the pecking order today is not that much different than Stock and Pure stock from 50 years ago.

Does anyone know what the L88 Vette weighs?

Of course they are not really stock. I think they are allowed 11.5:1 CR, and “approved” cams.

My guess is that the pecking order today is not that much different than Stock and Pure stock from 50 years ago.

Oh you know it as they are not 'really' stock lol!! Studied up on them when I first heard about them and yeah.....not even close to being stock. Stock 'appearing' is open to the eye of the 'beerholder' lol

It said the Vette weighed 3200 lbs at the beginning of the video. I would have guessed it was even lighter than that.

It said the Vette weighed 3200 lbs at the beginning of the video. I would have guessed it was even lighter than that.
Thanks

“Approx. 3200 lbs”. Hmmmm. But okay.

So, my 67 charger, at 4200 lbs and 10.3:1 CR w/ 6pack and 0.455” lift cam at 4200 lbs went 12.80s @ 108. 3.23 and stock 12” converter. Take off 1000 lbs. 11.80’s @ 118 mph.

I think the A12 cars in that class run low 12’s at 115 mph. At that track in the Fall.

Nope.....
Could be wrong here, just recollecting some old car mag articles, some I still have. The ¼ mile times the mag folks would post usually sounded way slow. But, amazing what only a nice set of rear tires would do to the ¼ mile elapsed. My departed cousin had a stock ’64 Polara 426/4-spd he bought new from Grand Spaulding running high 11’s. Ran it at IL/IN/WI tracks. He did just a few simple tricks and broke 11. Attached photo of window sticker and one run time slip. Been searching for his car at his daughter’s request, sadly with no luck as she has a lot of photos and trophies she’d like to give to the current owner. Lol, Chicago area, rusty belt? Mean machine for the beating, crashed, or crushed in a salvage yard? Might hope someone at least snagged the engine and drive train.

Dad's dodge (4).jpg

I like watching the stock or stock appearing cars best for some reason.

Could be wrong here, just recollecting some old car mag articles, some I still have. The ¼ mile times the mag folks would post usually sounded way slow. But, amazing what only a nice set of rear tires would do to the ¼ mile elapsed. My departed cousin had a stock ’64 Polara 426/4-spd he bought new from Grand Spaulding running high 11’s. Ran it at IL/IN/WI tracks. He did just a few simple tricks and broke 11. Attached photo of window sticker and one run time slip. Been searching for his car at his daughter’s request, sadly with no luck as she has a lot of photos and trophies she’d like to give to the current owner. Lol, Chicago area, rusty belt? Mean machine for the beating, crashed, or crushed in a salvage yard? Might hope someone at least snagged the engine and drive train.

View attachment 1545997
Just haven't been watching lol.....but I know there are some factory cars out there that we considered were 'street freaks' where the car came from the factory that were really quick. A buddy had a 67 GTX that was dang fast until it blew up. He dropped in a 383 with the top end from the X and it too was pretty quick until it wasn't. I ended up with the 915's on my very mild 383 and it was decent but not all that fast and not like his stuff was. But a 10.79 @ 104 and change....? Man, that was slow MPH on the top end for that ET and can only think how fast it was out of the hole!

The pure stock guys are limited to 11.5 e.t. Any faster they would need a roll bar. Their is a pretty good mix of cars. In F.a.s.t. the rules end up being favorable to the corvettes. This is a list of the top pure stock cars. I am sure many can go faster then 11.5. Buick barely made the list.

Screenshot_20231025_182936_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Just haven't been watching lol.....but I know there are some factory cars out there that we considered were 'street freaks' where the car came from the factory that were really quick. A buddy had a 67 GTX that was dang fast until it blew up. He dropped in a 383 with the top end from the X and it too was pretty quick until it wasn't. I ended up with the 915's on my very mild 383 and it was decent but not all that fast and not like his stuff was. But a 10.79 @ 104 and change....? Man, that was slow MPH on the top end for that ET and can only think how fast it was out of the hole!

10.79 @ 104. Either one of the numbers is wrong, or he was hard on the brakes. 10.79 back then with a stock -ish set up seems a bit unrealistic. 10.79 is going to trap at 125 with a good modern suspension.

10.79 @ 104. Either one of the numbers is wrong, or he was hard on the brakes. 10.79 back then with a stock -ish set up seems a bit unrealistic. 10.79 is going to trap at 125 with a good modern suspension.
I went 125 and change @10.68 back in 84.....and I agree with that a stock-ish set up is unrealistic even these days with old school parts.

I raced that class for years very tuff group a lot of attention to the small details. You can go fast with stock parts and blueprintping my A12 superbee ran 12 .1 on g70 -15 redlines. I have applied the same tacit’s to my current car with a 383 and have clocked a 13.1 with factory parts but with headers and 67 spec cheater slicks .

35E9505D-992F-412C-A6EF-72D1277089A3.jpeg

A86AA198-13DC-4390-B5D4-14741180160E.jpeg

AB7D942B-352C-4993-BD9C-1239B7CE4DF3.jpeg

FAST car run handicap tree so does the “how fast” really matter?

The horsepower is pretty impressive but 500 lb/ft of torque get's it done!

Screenshot_20231026_075722_Google.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back