• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you guys watch the Stock Muscle Car Drags?

Love em. MMissle, you are likely referring to Dave. He built my Hemi and yes he can make 'em fly!

I haven't ever seen the F.A.S.T. races in person but they're my favorite to watch on video.
First and foremost, the ¼ mile times they run are amazing, in particular being limited to the factory size and style tire they originally had. I have seen a "behind the curtain" video of what one of the TOP "stock appearing" cars, a L88 Corvette, does to those tires to prep for the track. Up front, they are running in the mid to high NINES in the 1320!
They have a machine that does much of the process of shaving the tread down, they melt some off if I remember correctly, and so on. Regardless of prep, the grip is impressive.
2 classes AFAIK in F.A.S.T. Pure stock and the faster class lets them do just about anything to the engine as long as it looks factory.
Hemis, 440 6bbl cars do well, but I believe the L88 'vette has advantages that can't be overcome due to how "hot" they were from the factory.

the horse power calculation
The pure stock guys are limited to 11.5 e.t. Any faster they would need a roll bar. Their is a pretty good mix of cars. In F.a.s.t. the rules end up being favorable to the corvettes. This is a list of the top pure stock cars. I am sure many can go faster then 11.5. Buick barely made the list.

View attachment 1546028
the horse power calculation is whats interesting,,the vettes win because of there weight. the 1964 plymouth is the example i'm referring too.

With all due respect… I never considered an L88 Vette a Muscle Car. Or any Corvette for that matter. The 427 Side Oiler FE powered Shelby Cobra is probably just as quick if not quicker, but not a Muscle Car.

There's always been a controversy about the Corvette being a muscle car. The two-seat thing can't be used since some MC are two-seaters. i.e. The AMX. The IRS seems more sports car but lots of modern muscle now has IRS. The fiberglass body is a sports car thing. The big blocks in Corvettes didn't handle like a sports car. I heard a race driver say they handled like a station wagon with a load of plywood on top.

I know it's splitting hairs gut let's call 2nd and 3rd gen big-block Corvettes muscle cars and every other Corvette sports cars. If I had an L88 I certainly wouldn't risk drag racing it!

I don't know what my 1973 Pontiac 455 Gand Am is going to be like. It was newly rebuilt when I got it (the previous owner said it was mildly tweaked.) I haven't finished the car. I know Mom's brand new '73 GA 455 would just sit and roast the tires until you let off the gas but I also know Buicks had their own engines. I bet you've seen Nick's Garage with a 455 Ponhco making 500 ft/lbs with mild mods.

Last edited:
It said the Vette weighed 3200 lbs at the beginning of the video. I would have guessed it was even lighter than that.
For a fiberglass/bodied car Corvettes are surprisingly heavy.

Fiberglass looks lighter than it is. Folks had a couple of '57 T-birds with the removable porthole hard top. That roof had some serious girth to it. Was a PIA when taking it off and on leaning over the car and not lose it scratching paint and such or mashing fingers. Don't know what the skeletal structure was that maybe added the weight...

How fast always matters.
The handicap ( bracket) just shows which guy is a clown regardless of how much cake is in the engine :lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back