• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DOGS

This is Irving's pose when he wants to go out to play ball.

I want to play.jpg

Is it for heartworms? It doesn't have ivermectin.
It is for heart worm.
As far as I know there are drugs other than ivermectin used.
If it’s a prescription, you still need an rx from your vet.
I think this is what my vet prescribed.

We use Frontline for fleas and tics, I usually buy it on eBay

rained it's *** off here last week..... Mom put on Rebel's rubber duckie rain coat; I think he actually understands and likes it...... then it started to downpour big time, and he high tailed it back into the house :eek:

IMG_20240302_195805.jpg
IMG_20240302_195811.jpg

It is for heart worm.
As far as I know there are drugs other than ivermectin used.
If it’s a prescription, you still need an rx from your vet.
I think this is what my vet prescribed.

We use Frontline for fleas and tics, I usually buy it on eBay

I use Frontline as well. I've seen something cheaper at Dollar General, never tried it.

I don't have a special prescription for Heartguard, but the vet is my only source for it. The price wouldn't be so bad for one dog, but I've got six! And I'd take in more if I could!

They are certainly amazing animals. All of our previous experience is with “normal” dogs, like my old border collie and the sheltie we had when I was a kid.
They say that Ridgebacks aren’t for everyone, and I have to agree. They are not a low maintenance dog but if a person is willing to spend time with them they are astonishing. Definitely not dumb, and that is part of the challenge.
I will argue that all the true Rodesian ridge backs I have come across have been among the coolest dogs I've met, love them!

Try hoof and hound for meds.
Been using them for 10 years, no problem, no rx reqired, out of Australia, very reliable!

Try hoof and hound for meds.
Been using them for 10 years, no problem, no rx reqired, out of Australia, very reliable!

That's around $20 less than my vet charges, before shipping and taxes. Have you ever had any importation trouble?

I will argue that all the true Rodesian ridge backs I have come across have been among the coolest dogs I've met, love them!
Definitely! But when I say that they aren’t for everyone I mean that they aren’t for apartment dwellers or lazy people. For example, my sister in law insists on getting large, active, pure bred dogs as a status symbol. They spend ninety percent of their lives in one of those three foot square wire cages in the kitchen. I couldn’t imagine a Ridgeback doing well like that. We kept Cora because the shelter she was in was going to send her to a large city out east. Our concern was that she would spend her days like my sister in laws dogs.
There are many subtle traits to them that I find appealing. They don’t bark, for instance. It’s not that they can’t or never bark, but if they do it’s for a good reason. For example, if she needs to go outside and we don’t notice, she will give one sharp bark. That’s it. Outside, she never barks, ever, unless she wants to come back in the house. Then she stands by the door and again, just gives one sharp bark. We have neighbours who leave for work and leave their dogs outside. Some of them bark literally for eight hours or more, nonstop.
Her sense of time is astonishing. She knows when supper time is within a half hour. Every day. Then at 11:00PM she will notify us that she needs to go for a pee. She runs out, pees, comes right back in and runs upstairs and goes to sleep. Every day, right on time. Without guidance from us.
The downside is her strength. When she plays, it is rough. She means no harm, but she could easily flatten a small child or small dog. I actually have to watch that when she gets excited that she doesn’t accidentally scratch me in the eye or soft tissue. When she wants love she will literally jump or walk on a person, pinning them down.
But her love and loyalty is unparalleled. She has never once been anything but full of joy for life. It is infectious.

Last edited:
Definitely! But when I say that they aren’t for everyone I mean that they aren’t for apartment dwellers or lazy people. For example, my sister in law insists on getting large, active, pure bred dogs as a status symbol. They spend ninety percent of their lives in one of those three foot square wire cages in the kitchen. I couldn’t imagine a Ridgeback doing well like that. We kept Cora because the shelter she was in as going to send her to a large city out east. Our concern was that she would spend her days like my sister in laws dogs.
There are many subtle traits to them that I find appealing. They don’t bark, for instance. It’s not that they can’t or never bark, but if they do it’s for a good reason. For example, if she needs to go outside and we don’t notice, she will give one sharp bark. That’s it. Outside, she never barks, ever, unless she wants to come back in the house. Then she stands by the door and again, just gives one sharp bark. We have neighbours who leave for work and leave their dogs outside. Some of them bark literally for eight hours or more, nonstop.
Her sense of time is astonishing. She knows when supper time is within a half hour. Every day. Then at 11:00PM she will notify us that she needs to go for a pee. She runs out, pees, comes right back in and runs upstairs and goes to sleep. Every day, right on time.
The downside is her strength. When she plays, it is rough. She means no harm, but she could easily flatten a small child or small dog. I actually have to watch that when she gets excited that she doesn’t accidentally scratch me in the eye or soft tissue. When she wants love she will literally jump or walk on a person, pinning them down.
But her love and loyalty is unparalleled. She has never once been anything but full of joy for life. It is infectious.
Your SIL is evil.

Your SIL is evil.
Yup. So many people don’t regard these animals as thinking, intelligent beings. Beings that give and need love. That feel fear, loss, anxiety. They are merely a thing, a possession. I see dogs that spend their entire miserable lives on a ten foot or less chain, living in their own ****, out in the elements. Cats tossed out in three feet of snow. Birds and bunnies tossed out to fend for themselves when they were raised with zero survival skills. Makes me sad and mad.
Our unofficial cat rescue effort is called The Cat Ranch. The motto is “We can’t save them all, but we save what we can.”

I am working in the yard at my mom's house, and I have my boy Magnum chained up (for only the second or third time in his life) and its KILLING me. He is so loving he can't stand to be somewhere he can't see me, his anxiety (that really started with this trip to Cali with me, none of his dog family or my girlfriend with us) is such I can't leave him in the house. He's wearing a cone yet, and he crashes into me, and everything else too, so.....he gets a chain, but for no more than an hour at a time. (I tried tying him up with his leash...... he ate thru it......twice.)
I cannot imagine the cruelty of keeping a dog in a cage in your own home. The poor dog might as well be in the pound.
The pic is the only one I've ever got of him with both ears up. Due 100% to the cone.

20240310_202045.jpg

I cant wait for my youngest grandson to give Thor a ride in the dune buggy

C0B169EA-F09F-4176-987A-F9880E268277.jpeg

1873E3FA-14A7-4321-9BE4-0621846BA95F.jpeg

567726A8-C3D3-4CAE-B334-D0B909DC87F4.jpeg

65BD9E04-0C30-40EC-8D57-22972A2E246F.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back