• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dustless blasting AOK

OSDart

Local time
6:59 PM
Reaction score
A friend just bought a dustless blasting machine and offered to strip one of my cars. So I let him blast my 65' Belvedere. I was a little hesitant at first, but it turned out great. Kind of a pita getting all the glass out of the doors and vents, but it was well worth it. Next time I have a car blasted I'll strip it and have it on the rotisserie. Now comes the etching primer.
So much better than my soda blaster! A lot faster, cheaper and cleaner. I'd like to have one but I think the small one's start around $5,000. He spent $55,000 on the big trailer mounted set-up!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• P1090532.jpg
    P1090532.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 711
Hi,
I looked into purchasing a "set-up" from them...
The cheapest set-up is 435K to get into...which i thought was pricey...

An individual "needs" to have "customers" to make the profit...BUT: at $2K per car, it can be a pratical business...the other thing is...you "drive" to their place and perform the task...COOL

But I was thinking multi-dimensional...
Being a resident of So Cal..."home of the grafitti artists" (criminals)
I 've been thinking that not only could I do cars but ...Grafitti removal AND re-surfacing "gunnite" pools..(swimming pools)

Yeah, I like the product but again, Dustless Blasting thinks highly of their product...
Save yourself some BIG $$ and build your own trailer...

Attachments

• db500-mobile-products.jpg
    db500-mobile-products.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 647
  • db800-m-apt.jpg
    db800-m-apt.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 745
  • DB800Mobile210.jpg
    DB800Mobile210.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 584
  • dualdb800lg.jpg
    dualdb800lg.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 638
It uses recycled glass, water and a rust inhibitor. A pressure tank is filled with the water/inhibitor and then the bags of glass are dumped into the tank. I took surface temps of the car while he was blasting and it was 10 degrees colder than the ambient temp. It's environmentally safe and there was hardly any clean-up afterwards. The water actually vaporizes. So no big mud holes! The last step was rinsing the car off with the rust inhibitor which protects it from flash rust for 72 hours and is ready for primer.

The machine my friend bought is in the third pic. Nice piece of equipment. He was telling me that the car is ready for primer. No other steps needed. I'm a little concerned about that. I would think it needs to be wiped down with wax/grease remover before premiering. Anyone know for sure?

Well,
My 63 Polara is being done right now...
I am unsure but...certain types of media will leave a residue...

I'd say to be safe. wipe down with Prep Sol....anyway

How is it cheaper than soda? Out here you can get your whole car blasted with soda for $800 and drive it home lol

What is the price, roughly, to have just the exterior stripped? I called a couple places in Phoenix that do the dustless and never got a call back. Had a local place blast it for $550:grin:

I was paying around $30 a bag for soda. It took 12 bags and a full day and a half to blast my Dart. Some of that time was spent cleaning the machine out. Any moisture kills a soda blaster. Granted, my machine isn't the biggest. The glass cost $10 a bag and just took 5 1/2 bags and 2hrs. Soda won't take rust off, whereas the Dustless Blasting does. I'm happy with it. If you can get a complete car blasted for $550, that's a heck of a deal.

Just had my 66 Belvedere done. $800. Did a great job, BUT I've been cleaning residue out of every crack for a couple days. The guy who did it also does pool and buildings. He said he paid $35,000 for his unit. Still cleaning 'glass' out of the seams.

Super-bee_ski, did you get your car finished? Just curious if you started priming. Did you wipe it down with Prep-Sol or something else. I'm gonna try to get mine sealed up tomorrow.

Sounds like a heck of a deal. Depending on the machine hours.

Auto Transport Service
Back