• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gonna Check Out a FREE 440 Block and Crank

cr8crshr

Local time
11:09 PM
Reaction score
I will be heading up to Sacramento later this morning to check out a 440 that I stumbled upon for free on that "OTHER" site a few months back. The person I talked to had originally got it for his A Body project but instead went with a 340 set up. He said it came from a C Body so it just might be in good condition. But one never knows when "FREE" is attached to something. Any way it is worth the trip up to get it and then worth the dismantling of it down to the block and crank and having it checked out, etc. If it checks then I will sit on it for a 440/500 Stroker later on. And if not then over it goes to the local Pic n Pull for their scrap metal pile. I have always coveted the 440 along with its smaller 383 kin and with prices and scarcity of 440 blocks being available at reasonable prices, I Figure what the "HECK". Get to meet another MOPAR Motor Head in the process so it all cannot be bad. I will get pics up later today or tomorrow and run the numbers to find its exact pedigree...:headbang:

FREE Is GOOD!!!!!

Well I got it today and it is quite rusty and filthy. Upon initial inspection it appears to be OK. I wont know any thing until I get it baked/hot tanked and sonic checked but that will be next week most likely. Then I will sit on it until I have enough to get my stroker kit and then build a 500 monster. Pics are up...cr8crshr/Tuck:blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1: 003.jpg001.jpg002.jpg

After running the numbers for this motor, it says it is a 1974 casting but the number indicates a 1975 build. If that is the case then it should have a cast crank but instead has a forged crank. And yes I do know the difference. One never knows about MA MOPAR now do we??? So hopefully a good corer and starting place. By the way...I got also with it the following:

Main Caps with the bearings still in place
Rear Main Seal Cap
Forged Crank
440 Block
And the original Timing Chain Cover

I bet it's a truck motor. They had steel cranks all the way until the demise of the big block. I tore an original 400 down that was a 77 model and it had a really nice steel crank in it. The big blocks were made until 78 but in some applications such as marine and some trucks went as far as into the very early 80s.

One word,......................................Hoarder!:icon_biggrin:

I scored a 440 and crank a while back too for a heck of a deal. Not free but almost. 100 bucks, fresh from the machine shop with a .020 over bore and rough hone job.

That's the whole reason for me doin a big block. I found a hell of a deal too. 100 bucks for a completely fresh machined .030 over 383 block and a STD 383 steel crank for 100 bucks.

I bet it's a truck motor. They had steel cranks all the way until the demise of the big block. I tore an original 400 down that was a 77 model and it had a really nice steel crank in it. The big blocks were made until 78 but in some applications such as marine and some trucks went as far as into the very early 80s.

Rusty...Not knowing if the chap I got it from remembers where he got it, he stated it came out of a c-body. It would be nice to actually know, but as a core I am sure it will make a nice stroker. That is if all goes well with the cleaning and sonic check. It does have a lot of rust everywhere so hopefully it is salvageable. But Free is Free so really I won't be out anything if after the cleaning and sonic check it proves to be non-servicable...

But Free is Free so really I won't be out anything if after the cleaning and sonic check it proves to be non-servicable...

And that will cost what? Maybe a C note? Either way it's a $100 core like the other guys got.

It'll be fine. You wait and see. They are tough to mess up.

Rusty...Not knowing if the chap I got it from remembers where he got it, he stated it came out of a c-body. It would be nice to actually know, but as a core I am sure it will make a nice stroker. That is if all goes well with the cleaning and sonic check. It does have a lot of rust everywhere so hopefully it is salvageable. But Free is Free so really I won't be out anything if after the cleaning and sonic check it proves to be non-servicable...

SERIES:
S = 1962
T = 1963
V = 1964
A = 1965
B = 1966
C = 1967
D = 1968
E = 1969
F = 1970
G = 1971
H = 1972
J = 1973
4T = 1974
5T = 1975
6T = 1976
7T = 1977
8T = 1978

OTHER STAMPINGS:
Diamond = 0.008-in. oversize tappets
Maltese Cross = 0.001-in. undersized crankshaft
Maltese Cross and an X = 0.010 undersized crankshaft
A = 0.020-in. oversized cylinder bore
B = 0.010-in. undersized main and rod bearings
E = cast crankshaft
H = standard 4bbl
HP = high performance
LC = low compression
O.S. = 0.005 oversized valve stems
P = premium fuel recommended
R = regular grade fuel may be used
S = special engine
WT or TW = water test
X = oversized valve guides

ASSEMBLY PLANTS:
K = Toluca
PT = Trenton
M = Mound Road
T = Trenton (400 and 440 only)
MV or MN = Marysville

Well get a load of Mr. Information. Nice.

I was too lazy to ID it myself so I just posted all of it lol plus I cant read everything on the pad

I believe this is the date circled

Attachments

• 440d copy.jpg
    440d copy.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 135
Cool I hope this works out for you. BTW happy that things went good for you with your test.

Auto Transport Service
Back