• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High Tech Thieves

GTXDAN

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:38 AM
Reaction score
I Read an article the other day where there have been 5 high dollar cars found in Canada with Apple Airtags attached to them for possible tracking for theft. There have also been reports in MI and ATL too. The crooks have gone high tech and Apple has given them a big hand up doing it. The thing about Airtags is they don’t have GPS tracking capabilities, so for it to know it’s location it uses Bluetooth. Theoretically you should be able to see if one is trying to couple with your phone through Bluetooth. If it is away from its owner after a period of time it will send out a chirp to be located. If you have an Iphone 6s or newer and it is running their IOS 14.5 software it will detect any Airtag automatically that doesn’t belong to you. By using the FIND MY app you can force the tag to play a sound so you can find it. If you have an Android phone there is an app called Tracker Detect (made by Apple) that will work and can be down loaded from the Play store for free. It will scan for tags only when you tell it to, it will not scan automatically. If one is found it will let you access it to make it chirp so it can be located. They say you deactivate one by pushing down on the metal plate and turning it clockwise to open it so you can remove the battery. I think if I found one I would deactivate it with my 3lb sledge If you value your rides at all and you have an Android phone it might be worthwhile to down load the app (it’s free) and scan your cars once in a while. Maybe after a big car show or if someone shows special interest in your car. You can never be to safe anymore.
Keep the shiny side up.

GTXDAN

Just have a 4 speed with manual steering, car isn’t going anywhere!

If you find one, stick it to a 1988 Corolla. When somebody comes in with one, the cops should mount it on one of their undercover cars.

Put in on a taxi, they be all over town following it.

Just have a 4 speed with manual steering, car isn’t going anywhere!
Sadly the people putting these tags on are probably professionals, not casual joyriders.
I wonder if they still work if they are covered in hot oil (usually a combination of engine, transmission and power steering)? If not they should be careful where they put the tracker on my car...

I bought some of these the other day. Thought they were suppositories.. Guess I'm gonna get followed now.

If i ever find one i'll be waiting for the airtag owner with a lead airtag. We need to go back to the wild west days and treat car thieves like they did horse thieves.

If i ever find one i'll be waiting for the airtag owner with a lead airtag. We need to go back to the wild west days and treat car thieves like they did horse thieves.
In the dark, waiting, they might hear something, but it will be painless, and they'll be on to the next life....John Creasy.

Auto Transport Service
Back