• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hot rod 361?

hacksaw

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:38 AM
Reaction score
was kicking some things around here and was thinking since it looks like im going to have to rebuild one of my mills for the 62 .... and the 361 i have is date coded 62 (didn't know that till today) was wondering about maby doing a 361 HP clone kind of thing. how hard is it to find the stuff to do it. im guessing things like manifolds, carbs and such mite be hard to come by. anyone got anything laying around? ... pricing on stuff? .... trying to decide which way to go with her besides just dropping in a 440 like everyone else. ,,,, thanks

Most things that interchange, manifolds, cams, and head are interchangeable with 383's &440's. Intakes are interchangeable with 383's. I don't know availability of pistons in desired compression and over bore sizes. Should be an easy hotrod build.

Most things that interchange, manifolds, cams, and head are interchangeable with 383's &440's. Intakes are interchangeable with 383's. I don't know availability of pistons in desired compression and over bore sizes. Should be an easy hotrod build.
ya i know its the same block wise as a 383 and stroker kits ain't hard to get. thats not what i was asking about ... im talking about the stuff that the 361 HP had .... didn't thay have the heads without the end v/c bolts? i have a old dual 4bbl from a 58 350 i can use tho. trying to make it look stock.

or i could realy go big and hard to find ..... LOL
0974287c055581e6.png

62s would have had four bolt valve covers, yes. I think the hard to find parts will be pistons with anything but 8 to 1, and even they won't be common.

My 64 Plymouth is a 361. While I didn't really hot rod it, I did swap a 4 barrel intake and carb from a 383, and installed the later 'hi rise" exhaust manifolds from a 383 magnum. All bolt in stuff, except I had to modify the throttle linkage and kickdown bracket. (The 4 barrel carb is wider than the 2 barrel, and requires a different bracket.)

Double check that 58 350 intake for fit.
I have plans to do a 361.And doing it on a limited budget.Other than pistons (none off the shelf) everything is shared with the 383.
They use the same crank. The 4.125 standard bore for the 361, I believe Egge is the only one that has standard bore pistons.
They make tons of Chevy pistons in that bore size,but have yet to find what may or may not work, pin to top of piston measurement. Pin size can be bushed to the smaller Chevy size.This means nothing as finding a good stock bore block may be a problem.
You can find .030-.060 oversize on E-Bay. Have no Idea about compression ratios. Custom pistons will run in the $1000-up range.
We all know that all the heads from the B/RB engines will bolt on. Then you get in to the different numbers for chamber and port sizes.
Budget will dictate what your plans are and what the outcome as what the car will be used for.
Some will ask "Why a 361 ?" For me it's just about the only 60's-70's engine I haven't done.
Like you, sure you can do a 440 but I like to be different. Also I have a 361 sitting there.

Double check that 58 350 intake for fit.
I have plans to do a 361.And doing it on a limited budget.Other than pistons (none off the shelf) everything is shared with the 383.
They use the same crank. The 4.125 standard bore for the 361, I believe Egge is the only one that has standard bore pistons.
They make tons of Chevy pistons in that bore size,but have yet to find what may or may not work, pin to top of piston measurement. Pin size can be bushed to the smaller Chevy size.This means nothing as finding a good stock bore block may be a problem.
You can find .030-.060 oversize on E-Bay. Have no Idea about compression ratios. Custom pistons will run in the $1000-up range.
We all know that all the heads from the B/RB engines will bolt on. Then you get in to the different numbers for chamber and port sizes.
Budget will dictate what your plans are and what the outcome as what the car will be used for.
Some will ask "Why a 361 ?" For me it's just about the only 60's-70's engine I haven't done.
Like you, sure you can do a 440 but I like to be different. Also I have a 361 sitting there.
everyone is doing a super stock clone......

62s would have had four bolt valve covers, yes. I think the hard to find parts will be pistons with anything but 8 to 1, and even they won't be common.
i don't like cheap slugs ... i spent 900 just for the ones im putting in my S/C 360. but good heads would get me around 9.0-.5 with stock pistons and with pump gas being what it is .......

For me (from EPWi), all parts are plentiful, but only 2 sets of 0.060" pistons. Egge still shows all piston sizes because they make them, and I am sure that they are available from Rebuilders Choice too. All of these will be stock of course, and any desire for higher compression will need to come from a set of custom forged pistons, and you can have them made for any CR you desire; the con will be the price!

The original 361's could make 300 horse pretty easy. A zero deck flat top with a closed chamber head should easily get to 350+ I would think.

The original 361's could make 300 horse pretty easy. A zero deck flat top with a closed chamber head should easily get to 350+ I would think.
pump gas is going to be the thing .... but if the price per gallon keeps going up. Sunoco in the 5 gallon can will be the same price .... lol

pump gas is going to be the thing .... but if the price per gallon keeps going up. Sunoco in the 5 gallon can will be the same price .... lol
There's not to many closed chamber iron heads out there. Stainless valves and polished chambers will easily handle 10-1 with 91 octane. A set of aluminums would be fun and gives you a point or so cushion of compression. It all depends on what you want to build. (how radical you want to go)

everyone is doing a super stock clone......
True dat ! That was my plan. 63 Plymouth Belvedere Nostalgia SS/E around 12 seconds flat. Started 15 years ago but my body is giving out. don't think I'll ever finish it.
IMG_2740.jpg

True dat ! That was my plan. 63 Plymouth Belvedere Nostalgia SS/E around 12 seconds flat. Started 15 years ago but my body is giving out. don't think I'll ever finish it.
View attachment 1190642
Not to sidetrack but that is a beauty. I am looking for a 64 Dodge and would be happy with a Poly, 361, or 383. I don't need (or probably wouldn't buy) one with a big wedge or Hemi.

I just redid the top end of my 1966 361. It was originally a 2 barrel engine and the stock pistons were .065 down in the bore. With the 516 closed chamber heads, calculated compression ratio was right at 8.5:1. I believe the earlier 4 bolt valve cover heads were basically the same as the 516's.

361 piston.jpg 516 finished heads.jpg

I just redid the top end of my 1966 361. It was originally a 2 barrel engine and the stock pistons were .065 down in the bore. With the 516 closed chamber heads, calculated compression ratio was right at 8.5:1. I believe the earlier 4 bolt valve cover heads were basically the same as the 516's.

View attachment 1190648 View attachment 1190649
There you have it. 8.5 is good. You'll gain a little horsepower with a half point more. (not much though, may be 5-10 horse) Cam selection is important. The wrong cam will bleed off compression and put it into the basement. Only rpm will make up for it. The heads look good but pretty tiny valves. Larger valves and some port work will help but then you are getting into the aluminum head $$ range. (unless you can do the work yourself)

I have been toying with this idea also as a buddy picked up a low mile 62 Chrysler that had a 361 2V and there was also a 361 4V HP outside the garage. The intake and exhaust don't seem hard to find, but the correct 62 carb and dual point distributor and a few brackets were. There is also 2 versions of the air cleaner and early and the later small unsilenced that weren't bad either. Have fun.

Auto Transport Service
Back