• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How close are modern paint formulas to vintage colors ?

Arrow points to E-5.

Did we sink a battleship?

Arrow points to E-5.

Did we sink a battleship?

the arrow was already there....... dude handed me like 5 pages, it didn't take very long to eliminate most of the chips........... I have to look at the can to see which one it was, it was a few months ago........ I remember 2 of them being very close; but one of them had a darker "side tone", as did the original color. I picked that one and will post it later........ actually, hope to be spraying a bunch of it later today/tonight

It is not just the hues being hard to match but metallic content/size has a lot to do with it. I have had to so many spray outs from different suppliers, PPG, Axalta ect to get the correct appearance.

the arrow was already there....... dude handed me like 5 pages, it didn't take very long to eliminate most of the chips........... I have to look at the can to see which one it was, it was a few months ago........ I remember 2 of them being very close; but one of them had a darker "side tone", as did the original color. I picked that one and will post it later........ actually, hope to be spraying a bunch of it later today/tonight

And that is where many painters can't seem to match a existing color.. Close from straight on but from an angle or under different light... For get about it... It amazes me what some folks will accept... Saw a newer Maserati yesterday, I could spot the color difference from over 100 feet... I don't know how the painter/shop would let that go, or how the customer would accept it....

Oh, yeah, my eyes ain't nearly as good as they were 30-40 years ago...

And that is where many painters can't seem to match a existing color.. Close from straight on but from an angle or under different light... For get about it... It amazes me what some folks will accept... Saw a newer Maserati yesterday, I could spot the color difference from over 100 feet... I don't know how the painter/shop would let that go, or how the customer would accept it....

Oh, yeah, my eyes ain't nearly as good as they were 30-40 years ago...
I can see those differences and my eyesight isn't all that good. Apparently I'm not colorblind though. :lol: The pearl will mess with that. It will be a different hue at different angles and in different light. Some of the new colors are beautiful in direct sun but are grey and chalked out in the shadows looking down the side.

I have to tell a story and I'll try to keep it short. Back in the 70's and 80's, GM had what they called "Firethorn Metallic. It was applied with an electrostatic charge applied to the body. The charge was turned off and the metallic would lay down. We had a new Riviera that went in for some paint repairs and the body shop couldn't duplicate the paint. We ended up getting the service rep involved and he summoned the Fisher Body rep. Looking through a magnifier you could see the metallic was all standing on end. That's why the body shop couldn't duplicate it. There were 30 some cars that got painted that day where the electrostatic charge was turned off too late and the paint set up with the flakes standing on end. They authorized a complete repaint and the repaint wasn't anywhere close to as pretty as the goof up paint was.

my paint store offers "color map" formulas....... I had an area of nice original paint under the tail panel on this deck lid, and zeroed in on it pretty good

View attachment 1585534
When the paint store uses that color matching chart with the holes, Will the give you the paint formula also , so you wil know what it is, if ever needed ?

When the paint store uses that color matching chart with the holes, Will the give you the paint formula also , so you wil know what it is, if ever needed ?

yes.......its all on the lable, but they can also print it

I have to tell a story and I'll try to keep it short. Back in the 70's and 80's, GM had what they called "Firethorn Metallic. It was applied with an electrostatic charge applied to the body. The charge was turned off and the metallic would lay down. We had a new Riviera that went in for some paint repairs and the body shop couldn't duplicate the paint. We ended up getting the service rep involved and he summoned the Fisher Body rep. Looking through a magnifier you could see the metallic was all standing on end. That's why the body shop couldn't duplicate it. There were 30 some cars that got painted that day where the electrostatic charge was turned off too late and the paint set up with the flakes standing on end. They authorized a complete repaint and the repaint wasn't anywhere close to as pretty as the goof up paint was.

That's kind of funny.

The first time I was ever in a paint booth, back in the late 1980's, the painter was all stoked about showing off the electrostatic charge hook up he was using to make the flakes stand on end while the paint dried.

Last edited:
Speaking as a restoration shop owner for the past 4 decades, PPG gives a match as close as is possible. They have a "color library vault" of spray outs, of original colors going way back. They have done their best to duplicate paint codes using modern available materials. Our Roadrunner is B5 blue and when I ordered the color I specified that it would be from the color library match. When you get a can under the label will be a mix label with the formula, for future reference. Your paint jobber will have alot to do with giving you the right color also.

So how close are modern paint formulas to vintage colors ? In 1962 there was no BC/CC. I have the 1962 paint codes which was emanel (I think) Luminous Cordovan met paint code " S "& Luminous Brown met paint code " Y " . Both can still be made as single stage and as BC/CC. I am thinking of painting the engine bay with single stage. But I would think the body will be in BC/CC.
My steering columm and dash cluster pod are the orginal paint ( luminous Cordovan) . By the Luminous Cordovan is a Burgundy Metallic . So how close wil the modrn paint match the orgial color ??
Exact Match Car Paint Made Easy | AutomotiveTouchup

And be done

From the site...
Your 1962 Dodge All Models is painted at the factory with a high quality basecoat/clearcoat system.
Ok, and? Are they not painted at the factory and this site is exact in my case at least

Ok, and? Are they not painted at the factory and this site is exact in my case at least
high quality basecoat/clearcoat system....... Yeah, every 62 Chrysler product was sprayed with a high quality basecoat/clearcoat system NOT!! If they can't even get that right they haven't exactly inspired confidence

PPG has the original ditzler paint formulas they are perfect match’s
Because they are the original formulas
Had mine in base coat clear coat
Beautiful color and depth
Now if you want the drab dead looking metallic you could have it made in a single stage paint
Plus the painter spraying your color can make it darker or lighter depending on the amount of coats and the distance from the panel
I myself never liked the look of single stage metallics , just my opinion
But they do still have the original formulas , just takes a good PPG rep

high quality basecoat/clearcoat system....... Yeah, every 62 Chrysler product was sprayed with a high quality basecoat/clearcoat system NOT!! If they can't even get that right they haven't exactly inspired confidence
Thanks

PPG has the original ditzler paint formulas they are perfect match’s
Because they are the original formulas
Had mine in base coat clear coat
Beautiful color and depth
Now if you want the drab dead looking metallic you could have it made in a single stage paint
Plus the painter spraying your color can make it darker or lighter depending on the amount of coats and the distance from the panel
I myself never liked the look of single stage metallics , just my opinion
But they do still have the original formulas , just takes a good PPG rep
My PPG rep does a great job. My brother runs a Resto shop and we’ve been doing this for years for the guys wanting PPG. On my car the rep called the library and got me single stage and BC/CC sample. I knew I was going CC anyways but wanted to test the single and yes the single was almost dead nuts to match my original paint. I compared it to the original paint where I pulled the brake booster off. It had never seen daylight. I went with Deltron base and used their new Custom Clear and holy crap does it pop, the best clear we’ve ever used. The single stage is closer to the original on my F4 paint but man that Deltron with custom clear is amazing what it does to the original paint code.

Auto Transport Service
Back