• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to Withdraw Large Amounts of Your Own Money (Cash) From Your Bank Account

Richard Davis

Local time
2:10 AM
Reaction score
For the last two weeks I have been trying to get $20K in cash of my own money out of my checking to pay for a car. After waiting several days for the Electronic transfer from my investment account to clear I went to the bank to make a cash withdraw. I was told I had to make an appointment because the amount was so large. When I asked how long I would have to wait for the appointment, the teller tried to call her boss, but she wasn't answering. I left because I had to try to cancel all the reservations I had made on the trailer, hotel, and insurance. I decided to make the trip to look at the car. Next day the seller and I agreed on a price and I gave him a deposit. The guy was super cool after I explained why I showed up without all the cash.

A day later I returned to the bank and asked for the appointment so I can get MY money in cash from MY checking. Now the bank Manager says I have to get an approval and that I needed proof (Bill of Sale) to show I was using the cash to buy a car. I told them I didn't need to tell them why I wanted the cash and I had no intention of getting them a BOS. Now I'm waiting for a call from the bank Manager to tell me when I can get my money, but it might be Monday.

For those of you that deal a lot with cash, have you ever had to go through such BS to get you money from your bank? Are there any institutions that will allow you to cash out a Cashiers check?

It’s bullshit ! It’s your money , tell them you’re going close your account and take your money somewhere else !

How long do you have to wait, to make a 20K cash deposit? Fu**in banks.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Time for a new bank. Never had this problem with my credit union or my local bank. I do need to go to the main branch if its a sizeable amount but show proof of what your buying??? F that.

Bank teller: What are you going to do with your money?

Me: How big are your t1ts?

Bank teller: That's none of your business!

Me: Now you understand

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d close the account and go to local credit union. I had this same problem several years ago with a large national bank and that is exactly what I did! Closed the account and went to a credit union.

For the last two weeks I have been trying to get $20K in cash of my own money out of my checking to pay for a car. After waiting several days for the Electronic transfer from my investment account to clear I went to the bank to make a cash withdraw. I was told I had to make an appointment because the amount was so large. When I asked how long I would have to wait for the appointment, the teller tried to call her boss, but she wasn't answering. I left because I had to try to cancel all the reservations I had made on the trailer, hotel, and insurance. I decided to make the trip to look at the car. Next day the seller and I agreed on a price and I gave him a deposit. The guy was super cool after I explained why I showed up without all the cash.

A day later I returned to the bank and asked for the appointment so I can get MY money in cash from MY checking. Now the bank Manager says I have to get an approval and that I needed proof (Bill of Sale) to show I was using the cash to buy a car. I told them I didn't need to tell them why I wanted the cash and I had no intention of getting them a BOS. Now I'm waiting for a call from the bank Manager to tell me when I can get my money, but it might be Monday.

For those of you that deal a lot with cash, have you ever had to go through such BS to get you money from your bank? Are there any institutions that will allow you to cash out a Cashiers check?
Sounds like they are insolvent.

My comment would immediately go to PF forum.
It's BS. My father worked for a bank and had issues at the bank he worked for.

The problem today is a lot of these banks only have 5-10k on hand at a time, and don’t want to give it all out to one customer. When I wanted to buy a car with cash, I had to give them a week’s notice, because they got their cash on Tuesdays.

I call my manager.. " how much cash do you have in the vault"? Well **** that's not enough... "when will you have a $100 K in house". We can have it by Friday.. "good I'll be there to get it". What's it for??? I'm buying drugs...

As matter of fact, I walked out of the bank at 9:45am this morning with $9900 in my pocket without a call... "what do we put on the Revenue Canada paperwork... "going to an auction" !

I call my manager.. " how much cash do you have in the vault"? Well **** that's not enough... "when will you have a $100 K in house". We can have it by Friday.. "good I'll be there to get it". What's it for??? I'm buying drugs...

As matter of fact, I walked out of the bank at 9:45am this morning with $9900 in my pocket without a call... "what do we put on the Revenue Canada paperwork... "going to an auction" !

What are we buying now?

1715378995061.jpeg

Financial institutions are required to report withdrawals of $10k or more to the federal government.
Call the bank ahead of time, ask them to have cash for you to pick-up, a lot of times they have to order big bills.
If you don't want Uncle Sam knowing your business, withdrawal < 10k at a time.

This has been going on for years even for smaller amounts at some banks... My friend use to cash his paycheck for fence work and only leave material costs in his account. He would get a thousand or two a week in cash and in Hundreds. One week the teller told him he will need get approval of $1,800 "withdrawal". He said he wanted to speak to a manager and the manager told him they needed three days to "order" the funds... Crazy times.

The basis here because of the "patriot Act" is to stop (theater) mainly terrorism. the banks are now
responsible for "knowing" their customers, and their banking habits.
IMO do not close the account and go elsewhere to solve this particular issue, that will only raise more red flags.
You just need to go up the ladder. Do not give them a false BOS, that is federal bank fraud. Do not withdraw $5K at a time, that is a federal offense of "structuring".
You are currently doing nothing wrong, they just need to calm down, and you need to help them with that process, as BS as it all is.
Two weeks ago I withdraw 5 figures from my local bank (of 15 years) in cash for a deal that fell apart hours later in the day.
I returned to the bank drive thru hours alter to redeposit it. The bank teller asked me where I got the money I was depositing, I pointed to a nearby teller and said "from her earlier today"

Last edited:
I don't know who your bank is, but you should bail! You can probably get better service from your investment firm.
Schwab and the bigger firms usually work with some locals.

This is nothing new fellas, been going on for 15 years. We up here in Kunackastan are at anymore than $5K in a two week period needs a declaration, and from any number of sources, accounts or banks. Get to know your bank tellers and managers, I bought the 66 HP2 fully for cash... never signed a thing.

I'm absolutely going to close my account. This is strike two for them, so I am out of there. Not going to make any waves until I have my cash and am out the door. I will start shopping banks and CR as soon as I get this transaction done. The guy/seller has been understanding and I will post what I bought after it is sitting in my garage. I put a $500 deposit on a similar car, a few weeks back, but couldn't get to it immediately because I committed to drive my older sister to the doctor. The guy had the car advertised for over a year. I told the seller my schedule in advance. By the time I was ready to hit the road the guy sold it out from underneath me. I did get my deposit back, but it was a hassle cancelling insurance and all my travel plans.

Ah, the Good old days.
I'm touring with Julio in SA in 1980. We did a National Network TV show daily in Chile for a week in a mansion overlooking the Pacific.
On the last day we are packing up and Julio and all the band and staff head immediately back to the Hotel. One of the TV exec's approaches me asks where is Alfredo, Julio's manager. I said he went to the hotel. He handed me a large brown paper bag and asks if I could give it to him. I said sure, what is it?
He says "$200,000", US of course.:lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back