• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I don't care where your preferences lie, this car is still badass

65RoadRacer

Local time
6:09 PM
Reaction score
I remember this car coming on the scene in the early 1980s, and for the time it was about as overkill as you can get. The current owner has it listed on eBay for a buck-fifty.
2016-01-06_19-02-38.jpg

Love everything, but the engine and everything that to be added to monitor it. Pretty car....and still looks great.

I'm a bit confused.... air filters right on top of the carbs yet a big scoop on the blower? What am I missing, is the scoop only for looks? Cool car anyways.

The inlets from the turbos are separated from the air entering the butterflies, it's divided internally so that boosted air doesn't exit the front of the scoop.

The inlets from the turbos are separated from the air entering the butterflies, it's divided internally so that boosted air doesn't exit the front of the scoop.

Attachments

• the-three-stooges-three-stooges-32136857-1095-1600.jpg
    the-three-stooges-three-stooges-32136857-1095-1600.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 356
It's not my "cup of tea"
But, to each his own!

I'm wondering why someone would go through all of that work and money and then SELL the car?

The car was built in 1980....probably got in a WHOLE LOTTA trouble since then and has to sell it to pay attorney fees !

Nice car, interesting induction setup for sure.

I know guys that build cars and sell them immediately after they are done. Rarely do these two keep a car 30 days after completion! It's build, sell, move on to the next project, repeat.

I looked at all of the pictures during my coffee break early this morning. It makes my head hurt. Can you imagine trying to track down a drivability problem? Hell, just setting the valve lash looks intimidating lol. Still neat for it's time, especially considering what Detroit was offering.

It's not my "cup of tea"
But, to each his own!

I'm wondering why someone would go through all of that work and money and then SELL the car?
Rick Dobbertin built this car in the early 1980s, and his business was blowers, turbos and nitrous, so he built a car that had all three. This is a 14x cover car, and won street machine of the year in 82 when it debuted and again in 1983, I believe. He no longer owns it, and the current owner is selling it for basically twice what he bought it for, from what I've read.

Dobbertin went on to other projects, but nothing had the same appeal as this car. His J2000 Pontiac (twin Magnacharger, twin turbo, Holley 1050cfm carburetor and nitrous) was a wild ride that made it into scale model form, but he just didn't seem to be able to repeat the success of the 65 nova. I personally feel that if he had picked classic musclecars he would have blown people away, but his other projects included the J2000, a Grand Am, and a Monza with IMSA body panels.

Dobbertin ran out of money trying to build his hydrocar, and a milk tanker surface orbiter... and I believe he got into legal troubles as well.

He never fully recovered to his "legendary" status, nobody was putting turbos on a 6-71 setup back then... but when he cruised into the fairgrounds it blew people away.
dobbertinJ2000.jpgdobbertinJ2000-1.jpg

It is a sweet looking deuce. I have always liked their look. My favorite being the '67. Seems like the only place you see them now days is at the drags.

Here's a RR I saw at Chrysler Carlisle one year

Attachments

• 012_13A (1).jpg
    012_13A (1).jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
I know guys that build cars and sell them immediately after they are done. Rarely do these two keep a car 30 days after completion! It's build, sell, move on to the next project, repeat.

Thats what I do, its all about the build, gathering parts, meeting the people, getting the kids out there sanding and learning, that first ride with a note book and pencil, lol, then the first ride when the car is D U N... Then I show them a few times and move on to the next guy. I literally owned 13 chevelle SS's, I almost had to become a car dealership, lol, what saved me was I sold a lot of them through a friend of mines dealership, NOW that is how they all go, I go through him, he finds 90% of the buyers for my cars..

The vcode super bee WILL MOST likely be sold when its done, I know almost a year of gathering parts, 40 hours restoring a dash board, 5 hours doing the pedal sets, hours and hours with the console and the column, I spent 10 hours on the seats, by my self, my wife and sister took the kids to a california for a week, I stripped them, took every part apart, blasted it all, coated everything, reassembled it all, foam, vinyl, finish, 10 hours and I was flying (not counting paint dring time, that is actual work, lol)...

And I am going to most likely sell that car by December 2016 depending when I finish it, not sure yet... and it depends on if I find a 70 500 convertible (or rt), to build my convertible RT hemi clone, I have the motor now, and the tranny, and a column, console, front bumper assembly, rear bumper assembly, I need to do a set of seats for it (which I have), restore the dash (which I have), I don't have a dana 60 for it yet (but Ill find one, I have passed a few up because I dont want to store it), OH AND I NEED THE CAR, I pm'd that guy that bought the 500 a few months back, asked him how is was making out, if he was ready to sell it to me yet, and NOTHING!!!!

Anyway..

That nova is nice, nothing wrong with that, I knw a lot of cars that were restored in the 80's and are NOW junk, they kept that one together, good for them... nice thread road racer

Cool Chevy II & I do remember that Pontiac Pro-Street J2000 too...

I respect all the hard work & the fortitude, to finish them both...
Certainly Not what I'd probably do, but they were really nice show cars thou,
probably served their marketing purposes too...

Auto Transport Service
Back