• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need L O N G E R rear wheel studs!

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:24 AM
Reaction score
Maybe I never noticed and have been lucky all these years.
I just installed new disc rotors in the rear axle and noticed how short the wheel studs are. These are the stock 1/2" style studs....I'm guessing 20 threads per inch?

459 R.JPG

I'm showing maybe 7/8" of stud sticking past the rotor face. I'm running aluminum wheels which have a thicker hub face.
I know Dorman makes all sorts of wheel studs. Who knows a part number for something about 1/4" to 3/8" longer?
Thanks!

I just installed new disc rotors in the rear axle and noticed how short the wheel studs are. These are the stock 1/2" style studs....I'm guessing 20 threads per inch?

View attachment 1337491

I'm showing maybe 7/8" of stud sticking past the rotor face. I'm running aluminum wheels which have a thicker hub face.
I know Dorman makes all sorts of wheel studs. Who knows a part number for something about 1/4" to 3/8" longer
Thanks!
Kern, about 6 weeks ago I got 5 1/2x20 wheel studs from O'Reilly's and they had the proper dimensions for the knurled width as the original studs. They came in different lengths and actually had what I needed in stock. I was converting my last l/h thread to r/h.

Last edited:
Thanks. The three inch length can be cut down to the length that I need.
I just called Summit....They are closed ????

Last edited:
Sorry to say most NO ONE answers the phone anymore. Companies want to do on line only.
I tried to contact a motorcycle company via e-mail and got no response.
Under their "Contact us" it was stated, "We do not answer e-mails or take calls." ????

Last edited:

View attachment 1337491

I know Dorman makes all sorts of wheel studs. Who knows a part number for something about 1/4" to 3/8" longer?
Thanks!
They make a pill for that :poke:

Kern, about 6 weeks ago I got 5 1/2x20 wheel studs from O'Reilly's and they had the proper dimensions for the knurled width as the original studs. They came in different lengths and actually had what I needed in stock. I was converting my last l/h thread to r/h.
Do still have the part number of those RH studs to share? Thanks man

Do still have the part number of those RH studs to share? Thanks man
The part # I needed was 610-132, but this is only for front wheel that is 11" drum brake. rear drums are different and so is 10" drums. These are made by Dorman so may be available in other auto stores also. As Wild R/T stated they only come in one length.

.684 knurl... Should make for a pretty tight press fit but doable & the length is good...
Yeah lining up the knurl with the cuts made by the OE studs helped. They tightened up a bit (a good thing) the last little bit of the way in but overall they installed pretty easily.

Thanks. The three inch length can be cut down to the length that I need.
I just called Summit....They are closed ????

Your studs are 1/2"-20. You need to have 10 turns of the nut to be safe at a minimum, which is 1/2" of thread engagement. I'll guess you may be getting about 7-8 turns of your lug nuts.
Easier then trying to find and change to longer studs is to use Extra Thread lug nuts. ET lug nuts reach in an extra .300" which will give you an extra 5-6 turns so will result in more then the necessary 10 turns.
Unless you're drag racing and need to pass an inspection which requires more stud protruding out of open face nuts
ET lug nuts are readily available everywhere including Ebay. 50 cents to a dollar each. Any style, chrome short, tall or open face. Saves a lot of work.

.684 knurl... Should make for a pretty tight press fit but doable & the length is good...

You ain't gonna get a .684 knurl in a hole made for a .673 knurl. At least not without a big fuckin press !!!

View attachment 1337491

Thanks!
Hey KD what rear disc kit are you running? Stock axles? (info may be buried in this thread) How many exposed stud from your wheel face? Ho long is the shank on your lug nuts?

Funny story, Mike...
I have the Dr Diff 11.7" kit that uses Ford parts.
For years I thought I had the 10.7" setup he sells. I have notebooks of work and maintenance on this car stating 10.7" rear discs so when I measured these yesterday, I was amazed.
I looked back at my notebook from 2006 and it shows (In my writing) 11.7" discs. The later notebooks show 10.7".
I'm not kidding when I've stated that each day in my life is mixed with brilliance and bone-headed actions.

Funny story, Mike...
I have the Dr Diff 11.7" kit that uses Ford parts.
For years I thought I had the 10.7" setup he sells. I have notebooks of work and maintenance on this car stating 10.7" rear discs so when I measured these yesterday, I was amazed.
I looked back at my notebook from 2006 and it shows (In my writing) 11.7" discs. The later notebooks show 10.7".
I'm not kidding when I've stated that each day in my life is mixed with brilliance and bone-headed actions.
Been there.....................daily! :BangHead: :BangHead: :rofl:

Auto Transport Service
Back