• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

i want to buy a new or rebuilt dodge dakota mini starter

moparjohnny

Local time
12:01 AM
Reaction score
which one should i get,what year should i ask for? where should i get from? a 383 eng.thanks

I'm thinking a '94 Dakota; but I'm worried about wiring location(to use or wiring w/o any changes to existing).Hopefully, somebody will chime in. My starter from 20+ yrs is starting to act up& I don't want to muscle up an original to its spot.

Get a good look at yours 1st...take a photo or two, then go to the auto parts store, ask for the Dakota V8 starter and ask to look at it before purchasing. They will let you do that. If it doesn't look like it will work, ask for one from a Chrysler 300, or one from a Durango, or one from a...you get where I'm going. You will find one that will work in a minute or two of comparisons. AutoZone, Advance Auto, NAPA, ORielly,...any of them.

I bought one made for a 76 Cordoba with a 400 engine. It works great! Small, light, powerful! I had to remove the electrical stand off, it was hitting the block. Just put your 2 wires directly to the starter, the big one comes real close to the block. Don't let it touch the block! A rebuilt at Advance was about $79. The 318 starter for a 94 Dakota is the same one. Oh yea, this one went on a 440 six pack motor.

There's a guy over on FABO that is selling offset extenders for the starters and people are buying sets at a time. Check it out!

Also be aware that some have an extended casting on the snout that may need to be ground off.

...although you can usually bargain on those if someone is selling them NOS/used.

I'm thinking a '94 Dakota; but I'm worried about wiring location(to use or wiring w/o any changes to existing).Hopefully, somebody will chime in. My starter from 20+ yrs is starting to act up& I don't want to muscle up an original to its spot.
Go to Buckeye electric in painesville,ohio

I use them for a 95 Dakota with a 5.2. 88.00 at NAPA for a new one. No grinding. Probably have installed then in over 20 cars with no problems.

I too will recommend NAPA. I know some people may have had good luck with electrical parts from Autozone but I sure have not.

Are you guys using the newer starters to clear headers or just for cost and availability?
Thanks

Are you guys using the newer starters to clear headers or just for cost and availability?
Thanks
1. For header clearance
2. Weight/ size difference...1/2 the size & weight of original type.

Funny thing is while my '95 4x4 Dakota 5.2L (318) sounds like a Japanese motor turning over, my '66 Belvedere II Poly 318 with a early 2000's Chrysler 300 starter still sounds like the old 'sand filled' starter...must be the old heavier internals?

Last edited:
1. For header clearance
2. Weight/ size difference...1/2 the size & weight of original type.

Funny thing is while my '95 4x4 Dakota 5.2L (318) sounds like a Japanese motor turning over, my '66 Belvedere II Poly 318 with a early 2000's Chrysler 300 starter still sounds like the old 'sand filled' starter...must be the old heavier internals?
Plus more torque.

I used 94-95 Ram V8, and I get them used in many cases for under $50 at local recyclers, with a warranty. I do buy, when the budget allows, brand new MP units. I'm not a fan of cheaper remans from the retail parts stores, nor the Chinese copies on Ebay. I have about 25 in service, 4 have been on my own vehicles. In one case it's 20 years old, been on three cars, probably 5 engines, drag races, street driven, etc. Well worth the coin.

Auto Transport Service
Back