• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this 69 roadrunner worth restoring or is she too far gone.

There's a song for every occasion.

What kind of satisfaction comes from that.
well. not everyone here on this site wants to spend years restoring a car. if they do, more power to them. That is why I said, depending on the age of the member.
of course, a person can spend years restoring the car, and dies of old age.

There are two times of life, the time a person spends restoring a car, and then time enjoying the car. every person is different.

Yea I saw that turd listed here in Tx. A $100 turd to me. Something better and still a turd, they will ask $5000
I forgot to ask your age!

Exactly. Don't get it right, just get it going. I watched Birdsong get a Super Bee running just to thrash it around. Give that old bird one more chance to breath, even if its just one more burnout before it fades away to the land of rust.

That’s cool. “Don't get it right, just get it going”

As a project car, skip it. If you can get it on the cheap, like in the hundreds, grab it and harvest out all of the hardware which is hard to find or just not available, wiring, drivetrain, brakes etc. you may be able to get some of the sheet metal sections out too. Use all for another project or as some serious barter/income potential.

If it was closer to where I live I would buy it tomorrow.
Start working on it and in about two years + or - it could be a driver. Doesn't have to look good right away but make it drivable and safe. Safe meaning good brakes, safety belts, lights, you get the idea.
Again I would but that's me

637vj9.jpg

@polywideblock :D

My man if you’re pretty well financially set - curious why you’d be looking at such a turd? Why not cough up a few more bucks and buy something decent. If you really want the “enjoyment” of doing a restoration you could still do so but maybe with a little better Start. I wish you good luck in finding what you clearly desire. The world is your oyster - because you have the $coin$.

What are your talents, and how much are you
willing to take on? Just about any rusted out
hulk can be brought back to life. It depends
on your passions. It's taken 26 years to get
my current project to the point where it is.
Time overcomes investment if you truly
have your heart and soul into seeing your
dream rumble to life and rolling down the road.
Thousands have taken on the tasks at hand,
but merely hundreds have seen the project
done. Once committed it must be your
priority to see it done. The money invested
takes a back seat to your inspirations.

Last edited:
If I soak the 383 in PB blaster for 3 years you think I can get her going?
Take the engine to a shop that builds mopar engine's and see if it is a good block or trash. This car was bought for 47k. Make it safe and enjoy. Yes, if you can get it for 1k that would be worth it.
Screenshot_20220131-062017.png

Well, here's another thought, maybe because I actually bought something similar rust-wise on purpose. I had worked on a 69 Roadrunner for about 10 years. I didn't work on the body/paint or the engine. After 10 years I sold it because, while it was a ball to drive (440 4-speed), to me the really fun stuff was working on the car. Therefore, I sought out -- and found -- my special car -- a 68 Coronet 500 that needed some work. I wanted to learn how to weld and how to do some light fabrication; I wanted to learn how paint. And I have time. It's a 10-year project; I have a fairly unlimited budget; I have a big garage. And I have all the folks here to help :)

New wheels5.jpg a-car1.JPG IMG_1477.JPG

I am probally the oppsite of everyone else being from the old school of we never let mopars die! Go on a search in a dry climate for a shell and use this one as a parts car and make one good driver out of two. Case in Point I am working on a 383 4speed 66 charger, is was drag raced hard, I bought it with a blown rear end so you know it was beat hard. I ran wanted adds and bought a second parts car for $1200 that had been sitting in a barn for 20 years. I am still hunting some of the common failed parts but I should have a nice driver on the road for $15K not including the $100K of my labour. This was my first car so value is in the eye of the beholder.

No title is the deal killer for me. You'll do all this work and someone comes along with the title and drags you into court...

The car is definitely trashed but......If it does not have to end up being your dream car, buying it (for as little as possible) may give you the pleasure of (1) owning a road runner (2) having the fun of digging through the car to see what can be salvaged and cleaned up and made useful (you never know), and (3) learn more about what it takes to get a beat up car to a higher level of function. I have bought some cars that had a lot of rust that I thought could never be fixed and been able to get them to be decent drivers, mainly because I am willing to do all the work myself and I enjoy the research and challenge of rebuilding cars.

I think if you are fairly young ,you could take it on. I can’t see paying more than 1500 tops. If you find when you are part way into it that it’s beyond your capability, you could recoup your money selling off the parts . You mentioned learning/ honing sheet metal welding , if you see this project through, you WILL accomplish that.

Would you pick a woman that would sit in the house for the next few years and do nothing for you and will only give you joy when you try to fix her to be presentable? Maybe one that is ready to go do things with you without taking all your money and spare time?

Auto Transport Service
Back