• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's talk about Retirement

My retirement day is fast approaching and I haven't figured what I want to do yet.
Maybe you'll be able to start getting a good night's sleep.

I spent over 25 years in the same career at the same place, and for a long time I thought I was going to retire there. But almost 7 years ago, I made a big career change and have come to truly love what I'm doing. I'm probably at least 7 years away from retirement, but I don't feel like I'm in a hurry, now. 8 years ago I was ready at any moment (but not old enough). I would like to have more time to do more projects around the house, though. I plan to stay on with the FD as a driver/pump operator as long as I'm able as a contribution to the community and to our department.

I'm only 46 but already contemplating the possibility of an early retirement so maybe I don't count? For me.. I get burned out fast on any repetition so to me something like American restoration would be really fun, always mixing it up. I honestly expect to keep quite busy with my own stuff though.

I have been retired for almost 10 years, and can do anything my wife wants me to. Just kidding.
I finished up the restoration on my 1964 Polara 500 convertible and am now rebuilding my 1964 Polara 4-door hardtop. In between I was doing Torqueflight rebuilds for friends. I have given that up now, because the transmissions felt like they were getting heavier each year. I had been going to more car shows and swap meets with my '67 R/T until Covid hit. On nice days, my wife and I just jump in a vehicle and go for a drive. We live on the north shore of Lake Erie and the countryside is really nice here. We discover little towns that we have never been through before; meet nice people. It seems that we have more disposable income now than we did when we went to work every day. My wife has her flower gardens that she enjoys to work in, and we have a 1/2 acre lot to maintain. The 2 kids and their families are not too far away. We are relatively healthy and active for our ages. Life is good. Retirement is the best job I ever had!

I had to retire due to migraine headaches. I finished my 69 Coronet R/T project and the 69 El Camino. I thought I was done until Uncle Bill died and left me the 70 Cuda project; it's a slow process. Especially, with having to wait for parts.

I neglected the landscape of this house since 1994 when I moved in besides maintaining a decent lawn. It was a blank slate besides the grass out front and 3 big trees in the back. Last year I completed the front garden and this year I'm working on landscaping the backyard. Grandkids are too far away to see consistently or I'd be doing that a lot more.

I've been helping my sisters take care of Mom for the past 5 years. She was living alone until last November. She's been falling a lot and injuring herself. Mom's in the hospital now and going to the nursing home when the doctors say she's able.

I hope that doesn't happen to any of us. Don't be too proud to use a cane or walker. Falling down is no joke when you're old.

Last edited:
My retirement day is fast approaching and I haven't figured what I want to do yet. I am just tired of going the hectic work pace I've been going for the last 20+ years and then rushing to get my own stuff done when I'm on my time. For me, it's just time to slow the pace down. Submit & I own 3 properties and just maintaining them will keep me busy enough.

Mark Your correct, too busy, you need to lighten the load & sell me your 66Hemi...

With any luck I’ll be retired this fall. Plan to do odd jobs. One is to live in Durango for a summer and try to get a seasonal job on the Durango and Silverton railroad.

I have been retired for almost 1.5 years now. I love it and do not even think about going back to work. I am 61 Medically retired after 28 years military in 2011. I have worked a few small jobs. My last employment was 5 years in the Aerospace sector as a final quality inspector. When that company decided to move, I took it as a sign...I retired.
Now, like has already been stated, I think I am busier than before. Don and I just put the transmission back in my car and I am working on getting all put back together. Inspection is due in May, so I have to get cracking ! On top of that I am a competitive pistol shooter. I shoot every week in practice matches and am always tweaking my gear. I will be in Utah Apr 30th to compete with my son in a competition there. First time we have competed together ! It will be fun !!

Yup, don't fear retirement...embrace it !!

Mark Your correct, too busy, you need to lighten the load & sell me your 66Hemi...

looney-tunes-laugh.gif

I've been retired 22 years already and I see the days flying by. I've done a lot to my 71 Cuda, gen2 hemi, 5 speed tremec and fuel injection. I also did interior seats because I didn't like the original vinyl seat covers, 71 was the ugliest seats ever. I also bought Shaker hood and parts for it. I also have a 74 Duster, changed the 71/4 rear to 83/4 and tranny to a 727. In the process of building a 408 stroker la motor and had all machine work done just waiting for warmer weather to work in the garage. I did a lot of travelling but this covid **** put a stop to that. So enjoy retirement but you'll wonder why is time going by so fast now.

Retirement is an option at 59 . I plan on volunteering on a Mercy Ship (floating hospital ) , for at least three months . I'll be able to devote time to the Wounded Warrior project and help make prosthetics for kids . My wife is 15 years younger than I .We won't be spending any more time together than we do now . I'll be close to 80 when she retires ....
I'm in the same boat. My wife is 12years younger than me. I will most likely retire at 67 and her 55 that way we can enjoy our slice of heaven together!

My former profession involved a lot of responsibility, conflict, difficult decisions, and long hours. At 54 I discovered the joy of having almost zero structure or responsibility in my life.

Now I work in the shop on cars, hike the woods, ride mountain bike, carve wood, go to the racetrack, take random day trips, play at the beach, and generally do whatever I want. The most responsibility and structure I have anymore is maintaining the property (which I enjoy), making sure I get to the brewery on time for trivia night, emptying the mailbox, and putting out the garbage. If I could just figure out how to get out of my paying my property taxes life would be perfect.

Timely subject as I’m going to be 60 this year and ready to hang it up from my engineering career.
I’ve worked since I was a kid and need to do something to feel grounded. Maybe do more with my aviation sideline and something with cars beyond working at MCACN for 4 days each November.
But after spending last winter climbing the walls I realize it’s hard to get motivated, also as time goes by finding people to do stuff with is a challenge. Most everyone I know even getting away for a weekend to go to an out of state car show or fishing trip is impossible it seems.

..... If I could just figure out how to get out of my paying my property taxes life would be perfect.

Get some rental property and have someone else pay it for you!

Our two residential rentals pay 100% for themselves plus every single home related bill including the mortgage for the property we actually live in.

...and the commercial property pays for it's self and gives us some spending money every month.
Plus I get a 5 car capacity shop there, for free!

Been retired now (fully) since July 2021. I had a biz for 20 years and started slicing out work about a year before to the point of 12-15 hours a month. Funny how once I did this, even that amount of ‘work’ seemed like a PIA. Gave me ample time to finish my ’63 though and do some resto on my Dakota. Nice not to be in a rush to get stuff done. Used to play a lot of golf thinking when I retired would play a lot moving to a warmer climate btw other DIY chores having the time to do it. Haven’t played in 7 years and lost the interest other than going to a range occasionally to smack balls. Good way to relax. Have helped my kids with their projects near identical to how my dad helped me in his retirement.

Never without something to do; but old injuries/surgeries have been creeping in most seriously some weeks ago doing things I should have had help doing! Got stupid and paying for it now with more surgery in my future. Right now the steroid script is keeping me active; effed up my old neck fusion and looks like bilateral CTS. DON’T miss all the years of working and the multitude of ******** I dealt with; but there were fantastic folks too I was fortunate to have worked with and got to know. The endless cell phone calls, emails, and texts for some always pressing work issue or another have gone silent. There were the trickles from clients I had worked with still contacting me that’s dwindled off now. This was a change to get used to, ya know, expecting a dozen messages every time checking the phone now gone.

I knew a dentist who got in the coal business just long enough to claim that he'd have to work a half a day on the day he died to pay for the funeral!

Get some rental property and have someone else pay it for you!

Our two residential rentals pay 100% for themselves plus every single home related bill including the mortgage for the property we actually live in.

...and the commercial property pays for it's self and gives us some spending money every month.
Plus I get a 5 car capacity shop there, for free!
I can read just as many horror stories about rental properties like yours... Its not for everyone.....

No. No it's not.

We are in our 17th year.

After almost 40 years of being gone I'm not leaving the property. Except for joyride and the niceties. I got plenty to do here.

Timely subject as I’m going to be 60 this year and ready to hang it up from my engineering career.
I’ve worked since I was a kid and need to do something to feel grounded. Maybe do more with my aviation sideline and something with cars beyond working at MCACN for 4 days each November.
But after spending last winter climbing the walls I realize it’s hard to get motivated, also as time goes by finding people to do stuff with is a challenge. Most everyone I know even getting away for a weekend to go to an out of state car show or fishing trip is impossible it seems.
Best times are by myself or with my dog...... Go where I want, do what I want, and spend as much time as I want doing it...... been divorced 28 years so it really opens your eyes to how nice it is NOT having a Nagagator.....
Bentley is always ready for some Wind in the Hair road trip and he is fine going where I want to...

DSCF0240.JPG

I had to convince my wife to rent out her house at first. She wanted to sell it.

It likely would have sold for about 85K. She owed 50K, so would have made about 30K.

It has made us 170,000K and we still have the house.

...and she has turned into a GREAT property manager.

Auto Transport Service
Back