• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motivation?

cairopd1069

Local time
11:42 AM
Reaction score
What do some of you do when the "restoration motivation" begins to fade? LOL!! I'm too far along to throw in the towel and watching the numerous TV show about cars has helped a lot, but doggone, it gets hard to make yourself "get busy" sometimes. Just venting a little!!

Are you under 40? If so, then you have no excuse! 60 and over, then you have one and between 40 and 60 you kinda have one :D

One thing I do on occasion is simply step away. Take a week or two off, clear your head. Secondly I plan small portions of the resto. For instance, I will just focus on restoring the grille, or assembling a brake drum or two. Life can sometimes get in the way. It took me around 12 years to restore my 69 Charger. Lots of life changes, demotivation etc... Now its hard for me to stop driving the dang thing, I love it so much. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Persistence is key.

Cranky, I'm 49 almost 50, so I guess I'll use that as an excuse!:hello2:
69chargerboy, that sounds like a great plan, I'm just tired of seeing it sideways on the rotisserie.
Trying to finish an 83 El Camino has not made it any easier, yeah I know, I just heard all the "ughs"!!LOL!!

Shoot . . . I wish I saw my car sideways on a rotisserie . . . I saw it for 6 months, on my back, staring up and removing undercoating . . . UGH . . .

How can you help it . . . get yourself a thread on this website, and post up your accomplishments that you've completed. And then if you follow some of the other threads, you'll meet a bunch of really cool guy/gals on this site, you'll start to follow their restorations. Then, as you're working through yours, and seeing your "new friends" making progress on theirs, it helps to keep the motivation in check - I look forward to posting my updates on this site. And the great/kind words that you get back form this site will SURELY help keep you going.

Won't make fun of your El Camino - as I've got a 66 Chevy II that is my driver - while I'm working on the Belvedere - that helps out too ( drive one to shows - see nice cars - go home and work on yours some more ) ( smile )

I saw one just like mine for sale, except a GTX clone, for sale for big bucks. I drooled over the pictures and sent the link to my body shop owner telling him I should have been driving a car that looks just like this one six months ago. I then went by and personally vented on him. I felt kind of bad since he just had a quadruple bypass March 5th, but he has had the car 10 1/2 months. It should have been done way before his heart issue came up. I go by every week and I told him all I wanted to see every week was some progress since the last visit. If he had one guy on it 8 hours a week it would be ready for paint final paint prep and paint in four weeks. I have 14K in new or rebuilt parts going on this car as soon as I get it back. I am chomping at the bit to get the opportunity to turn some wrenches on this thing. I just turned 63 and I want to drive it before I am dead!

Cranky, I'm 49 almost 50, so I guess I'll use that as an excuse!:hello2:
69chargerboy, that sounds like a great plan, I'm just tired of seeing it sideways on the rotisserie.
Trying to finish an 83 El Camino has not made it any easier, yeah I know, I just heard all the "ughs"!!LOL!!

over the years i found myself a hard charger telling myself if ya start something then finish it....Period no excuses. Dont start another project till you get this one done. that thinking has got me thru many years of pride in getting the job done.now i am finding myself getting burned out, lack of patience, and unable to make up my mind with decisions. (i.e. costing me money with changes) still have the one project/get it done thinking though, just loosing motivation. my advice , take on one project and get done. may take longer but so be it. press on and you will prevail.

GET OFF YOUR FUKIN AZZ AND WORK ON THE CAR YOU CAR PUZZY !!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA we are all in the same position so get to work before you ARE DEAD !! MOTIVATION there ate childern starving in the streets how bout a donation

I finish what I start but am in that same boat, just have to keep plugging and keep that goal in sight. For me going to car shows and seeing everyone enjoying they're Mopar's really gets me going plus like 67 said this forum helps. Most importantly though is meeting major milestones like paint, or just getting the metal work done, every time I finish one major task I'm pumped to be moving forward. So just focus on one thing at a time, go to shows, share your build here, and don't burn yourself out. Good luck

Go to a couple of car shows, this will help you get the bug back. I went to one tonight and came home and started working on mine and I am 37 with 2 kids.

That's what the Harley is for... :headbang:

Just roll up the sleeves, get to it, and imagine what it's going to be when all said and done. Good tunes on the radio, mug of coffee, garage door open with fresh air rolling in on a nice day...yup, love it. Wrap it up at the end of the day, come on here to the resto threads and check out everyone else's days work.

I understand that completely and as I experienced over the 3 year period that its always good to take a break and clear your head, especially when things are not going to plan. I found myself taking breaks for a week or so, and just went and did other things to get my mind off the car. But don't give up! As now I am very near the end of the build, its a great feeling of accomplishment and I haven't even driven the car 100 miles yet, but I have had at least 10 compliments on the work from people that have never seen the car.

If I don't walk away for a few days, I try to find something small to work on that I can complete pretty easily. Get a little success going and that seems to help. Even if just gets back to organizing things and / or just making sure I have what I need. Just my 2 cents! Oh and as far as age... Right there with you..good luck.

How to get back your motivation to finish your muscle car in 3 easy steps.

1. Borrow a friends muscle car and go for a cruise and note the looks of amazement and admiration.
2. Pick a safe road and do numerous burnouts and 1/4 mile runs.
3. Repeat steps 1&2 as often as necessary.

Oh and don't forget to give the car back. Problem solved!
If that does not do the trick sell the car and buy a Prius as you do not need to own a muscle car or classic.

Everyone has also had a long winter... crap, in my neck of the woods all I see is 4X4 pickup trucks and snow.

I haven't even seen a muscle car except on this forum for months!

The days are getting longer though, those garages are going to open up, and all that winter work will be on display in all its glory! Hallelujah!

So keep on it, fire up the tunes: my car is a 67, sometimes I listen to Jimi Hendrix to get in the mood, LOL :beavisnbutthead:

I'm headed to the shop now!

Just got back from a ride in my GTX, first one of the year and did a second gear burnout from a slow roll that would wake the dead.
Get it done, it is so worth it!

I have to take a day here and there to heal my hands from slices and give them a break from chemicals... I just find another project that's easier or surf the forums for education or shop for supplys and parts.... I have a hard time putting it away.... as for getting motivated... imagine someone hauling it off on a wrecker for Junk or to prove to the smart *** that laughs at you never getting it done. I had a step father that did everything to discourage me growing up. Then brag about how he helped behind my back... gave away everything when I went in the marines... and expected me to pay tow charges... finally after 30 years of struggling I have my first opportunity to restore a car with out any one around to discourage me or rip me off... I had a stranger give me back my mechanics tools because he thought of me coming home from the service to nothing... out of respect I have no excuse to quit or cry about it.... comes with less jail time than burning them up in their sleep

Don't feel bad. Haven't been able to work on mine since last fall. Been too darn cold to work in the garage. Once the weather gets warmer and you start seeing more cars out, that will get you back in the mood to start working on yours again. I've had mine for over 20 years and never lost sight of the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm just at the age where I need glasses to see it, that's all.

Auto Transport Service
Back