• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MTD 1238 Drag Mower

Local time
5:06 PM
Reaction score
I needed a break from project rust bucket, so I decided to chop up this free mower I got. I was inspired by some internet pictures. Cost so far = zero, though I will need to spring for a new belt and probably a couple of tire tubes.

I lost the mower deck, extended the wheelbase by a foot, flipped the front axle, extended the steering, and lowered and moved the seat back. Next comes flipping the drive pulley which should more than double the speed. This one is a 7-speed trans, so maybe I'll even crack 15mph with some tuning of the throttle etc.

I'll be trolling the neighbors this summer and see if I can earn a few beers.

Before (a similar mower) and after.... so far.

1238before.jpeg 1238after.jpeg

My friend put a Comet clutch on one of those (might have been a craftsman??) and eliminated the gear reduction, back when we were kids..... that thing flew!!! I still remember his foot facing the wrong way when his ankle broke!! Turns out, lawn mower steering isn't good to 40 miles an hour lol. He still can't walk right.

Auto Transport Service
Back