• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Jersey school bus crash

Iron built, I can remember when driving a truck meant something today's drivers are a dime a dozen. School bus drivers even worse if you can get a cdl and get the endorsement someone will let you drive. But yet if you want to go on vacation you can rent a 40,000 pound rv and go have fun. Or if you wish they will sale you a house on wheels and will show you how to release the brakes so you can have some fun.I'm sure you have been around it long enough to know what I'm saying and it's sad that people are allowed to drive heavy equipment and no nothing about it. I just feel bad for the families and everybody involved

Iron built, I can remember when driving a truck meant something today's drivers are a dime a dozen. School bus drivers even worse if you can get a cdl and get the endorsement someone will let you drive. But yet if you want to go on vacation you can rent a 40,000 pound rv and go have fun. Or if you wish they will sale you a house on wheels and will show you how to release the brakes so you can have some fun.I'm sure you have been around it long enough to know what I'm saying and it's sad that people are allowed to drive heavy equipment and no nothing about it. I just feel bad for the families and everybody involved
I agree 100%. I have had my CDL since 1987. Today, these schools pump out "drivers" every 2 weeks. If you have the money, they will give you a CDL no matter how bad you drive. The RV's are a whole nother story. How can a 70 year old man buy the same chassis and drivetrain as I have in my semi and drive away. No training, no special license, no NOTHING. Then, to add insult to injury, they will tow a 5000 LB Suburban behind it. Ridiculous!!!

I agree 100 %. Today we have a ton of regulations to make it safer for drivers to drive the problem is someone can make the same amount of money just pushing buttons on a key board. Driving has become a lost art so to speak. Be safe on the road and keep the shining side up and the dirty side down. On your other post I also agree where the hell are the parents

I have been saying for years,,,,,,,Busses and Limos,and now the really stupid superstretches??? These vehicles should have a full rollcage with proper seatbelts that MUST be worn when the vehicle is in motion!! We have seen the lomo wrecks and these bus disasters.With a well designed Roll bar/cage in these vehicles that would be so much safer!!!!!

Last edited:
Hemi, they have seat belts in motor coaches and have been for a few years now so they are getting better but the school bus industry is something else. Being funded by feds and state and your tax dollar instead of being safe with our kids they move the money to something else. For example California has some more rules and regs about pollution and water problematic.they also have a inspection that reach school district and heavy operators must pass or they don't get to use the equipment until it passes.here the down fall training the drivers is very weak even when they have to do a 12 week driving course. Drivers are needed so bad that they will still pass someone who shouldn't be driving a heavy equipment. Many private operators have a better training program then state and local authorities have but again it depends on the money they can afford to spend.

Yeah that bus driver was trying to make an illegal U-turn on Rt 80. Heard they got whollopped by a dump truck.

I’ve driven that road many times. One of the busiest stretches of highway in NJ. Heavy truck traffic from OTR out west plus tons of concrete and dump trucks from several quarries and concrete / asphalt plants along that stretch.

Bus driver’s going to jail.

E10B94DB-FD0C-4BE9-96A9-BF23AFA25C78.jpeg

https://www.northjersey.com/story/n...us-crash-nj-turn-rt-80-mount-olive/623022002/

I was in Pa. getting loaded when this happened. I got an alert on my phone through a trucker app. Shut the Interstate down completely for 2 1/2 hours. Luckily I was headed west on I-80. School buses should NOT be allowed on the Interstate...PERIOD. On Wednesday I was travelling up I-81 in Va. and suddenly 3 lanes of Interstate came to a complete stop. Why? Two school buses, driven by over 60, senile drivers were traveling in the middle lane, flashers on, at 45 MPH. Totally oblivious to the fact that they were causing MAYHEM!! Sorry Steve, DOT physicals are easy to obtain with $100.00, most school bus drivers should NOT be on the road. I average 3000 miles a week, and I truly believe that school buses are a menace on the Interstate.
I agree with you. We have the same problem here in CT. The age of the drive doesn't matter, but when I'm driving truck down Ct highways and find traffic backing up it's often because of a bunch of School buses going between 45-50 mph which I'm told is the state speed limit for them on highways. Most of them do stay in the right lane but when most everyone else is at 65 mph and higher coming up on these slow pokes it's a huge problem with everyone scrambling to get around them. I'm surprised I haven't heard of any crashes because these rolling road blocks.

This happened less than 5 minutes from my house.
The bus that was making the illegal u-turn through the median was in the far right lane moving slowly.
It shot across 3 lanes to get to the cut-through. The truck was in the middle lane and couldn't stop.
It was caught on a traffic camera.
Unofficially not released yet.
Very sad.

How does someone think it's ok anytime to use those cut outs but even worse, trying to do it with a bus load of school kids. This bus driver should spend the rest of his life sitting in jail and be forced every day to hear the crys of two parents that lost their 10 year old child because of a (insert words) driving a school bus. All because he could not take the time to go to the next exit and turn around there.

Last edited:
thats the problem he wasn't thinking. driving a car today is hard enough with texting etc going on. but to drive heavy equipment and make a move like that come on its not a neon. not to say being his age had something to do with it but i will bet that he had know idea were he was going. so instead of going on and turning around he panic and that is when it all went bad.

This happened less than 5 minutes from my house.
The bus that was making the illegal u-turn through the median was in the far right lane moving slowly.
It shot across 3 lanes to get to the cut-through. The truck was in the middle lane and couldn't stop.
It was caught on a traffic camera.
Unofficially not released yet.
Very sad.
I was pretty tired last night when I posted just below your post. Did not see that you had already posted that info.
Anyway, how's Brodie been doing?

I read the bus driver had 14 license suspensions, 8 speeding tickets, a careless driving ticket, an improper turn ticket. Does this get considered when applying for a job driving a school bus ?

I read the bus driver had 14 license suspensions, 8 speeding tickets, a careless driving ticket, an improper turn ticket. Does this get considered when applying for a job driving a school bus ?
Absolutely!! Two moving violations in a 3 year period would disqualify me from any decent company driving job. How he even still has a license is beyond me.

A lot has been said about school buses on highways and
Were did you read that! I thought i read the bus's were part of the school system? Any bus operator putting a driver with that record in a school bus would be liable. Any bus operator at least were i live gets into a accident no matter how minor even with no passengers is drug tested right away. I cant image a person have those kinds of infractions still being allowed to drive children. Please let me know were you read this. Thanks

I just read it and i cant believe what i read! It would seem this person had a driving record that would or should have sent up red flags as far as driving a school bus. I read the the city board of ed hired him. Somebody besides the driver has a lot of explaining to do and id say is in deep ****!

A lot has been said about school buses on highways and

Were did you read that! I thought i read the bus's were part of the school system? Any bus operator putting a driver with that record in a school bus would be liable. Any bus operator at least were i live gets into a accident no matter how minor even with no passengers is drug tested right away. I cant image a person have those kinds of infractions still being allowed to drive children. Please let me know were you read this. Thanks
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/20..._histor.html#incart_2box_nj-homepage-featured

Auto Transport Service
Back